PDA

View Full Version : Cardio for the skinny kid

tintintgb
05-23-2006, 03:17 AM
I am wondering if I should do cardio right now. I am 5'7 and 115lbs - very thin!!! (From an illness not ED) I would like to add muscle mass and I know that eating sufficient calories is important. I guess I do need cardio (there I go trying to answer my own question!) because I need to increase my endurance. However, I am scared that I will lose more weight or will eating above maintenance calories prevent that. Suggestions?

Than :) ks

PowerManDL
05-23-2006, 03:18 AM
Do you have any particular need for endurance?

Endurance trains up faster than any other quality; it's not like you can't build it up fast if you have a need for it.

I'd normally advise anybody trying to gain size to keep *some* cardio in, but I'm not sure it's a good thing if you're fairly underweight.

Robben
05-23-2006, 03:19 AM
You don't need cardio... :finger: What you need to do is make up a meal plan; eat and lift. :train:

tintintgb
05-23-2006, 03:27 AM
Thanks for answering so quickly.

I guess when I say "endurance" I mean that I can't run a block without wheezing. I had a severe bout of pneumonia and my lungs just dont work like they used. Could I start out with maybe ten minutes a few times a week and slowly build up from there? IT's like a battle of good and evil right now - I want to gain weight and look healthy again but I also want to be able to climb a few flights of stairs too!

PowerManDL
05-23-2006, 03:49 AM
10 minutes twice a week won't hurt. No more, though.

tintintgb
05-23-2006, 03:53 AM
Thanks!

absolut_blonde
05-23-2006, 05:08 PM
I know that when I was doing too much cardio, it was hard to gain. 5x a week like many people do was too much for me.

I still like to go out and be active, though, because cardio does have health benefits. Plus, I like getting out and doing stuff with SO. We go for walks, hikes etc, 2-3x a week but it's mostly lower-intensity. That doesn't seem to have stalled my progress any.

jrb1980
05-23-2006, 11:00 PM
I am no expert here, but if she/he can't climb a flight of stairs without weezing, shouldn't some cardio be a component in face of that fact it is not necessary for physical gains? There is something to be said about making it around the block, no?

liberty
05-23-2006, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 23 2006, 06:00 PM
I am no expert here, but if she/he can't climb a flight of stairs without weezing, shouldn't some cardio be a component in face of that fact it is not necessary for physical gains? There is something to be said about making it around the block, no?
If you are lifting hard enough your heart is working out too. I seldom do any cardio yet can run a respectable 5km with no prep. (when I am not pregnant :lol: ) I don't think it is necessary.
C

NCfitnessgirl
05-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Wouldn't a couple sessions of HIIT per week be better than any SS cardio in this case? I think it would work better with the end goal of building muscle.