PDA

View Full Version : Still have doubts about my split

dare
05-02-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm still weary of my training routine, and I just want to make sure that it is okay & balanced...I'm sure there is a lot I need to change...all suggestions are appreciated!

Upper body - light 3x8
DB Bench press - supersetted w/ DB files
Standing military press - supersetted w/rear delts
Lat pulldowns
Seated rows

Upper body - Heavy 5x5-6
Bench press
Seated DB press
Lat pulldowns
Standing BB rows

Lower body - light 3x8
Full squats
Walking lunges
SLDL
RDL

Lower body - heavy 5x5-6
Conventional DL
Leg press
Seated ham curls
Lying ham curls

Thanks.

Blondell
05-02-2006, 05:39 PM
What are your goals?

dare
05-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Fat loss mostly.

Amy
05-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by dare@May 2 2006, 01:39 PM
I'm still weary of my training routine, and I just want to make sure that it is okay & balanced...I'm sure there is a lot I need to change...all suggestions are appreciated!

Upper body - light 3x8
Lat pulldowns
Seated rows

Upper body - Heavy 5x5-6
Bench press
Seated DB press
Lat pulldowns
Standing BB rows

Lower body - light 3x8
Full squats
Walking lunges
SLDL
RDL

Lower body - heavy 5x5-6
Conventional DL
Leg press
Seated ham curls
Lying ham curls

Thanks.
In your lower-heavy day: there is no reason to do seated and lying ham curls - and on top of that - those are isolation movements which would be more suitable for a lower light day.

On your light-leg day: I don't think you need to do both SLDL and RDL as they are very similar exercises.

On your upper light day: I don't see any reason to superset the db-press w/ a fly. and the OH press w/ the rear delt.

You are doing a press on your heavy-upper day, why not chose a different exercise on your light day. And if you are doing a flat bb press on your upper heavy day - why not do an incline press - or keep the fly - but lose the flat db press.

Also, I don't know about 3x8 for light days.....someone else can speak more knowledgabley to this, but I tend to think of 10 as a light day rep range, and 8 as a med range....but I could be mistaken on this one.

Leah
05-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Amy+May 2 2006, 01:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Amy @ May 2 2006, 01:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dare@May 2 2006, 01:39 PM
I&#39;m still weary of my training routine, and I just want to make sure that it is okay & balanced...I&#39;m sure there is a lot I need to change...all suggestions are appreciated&#33;

Upper body - light 3x8
Lat pulldowns
Seated rows

Upper body - Heavy 5x5-6
Bench press
Seated DB press
Lat pulldowns
Standing BB rows

Lower body - light 3x8
Full squats
Walking lunges
SLDL
RDL

Lower body - heavy 5x5-6
Conventional DL
Leg press
Seated ham curls
Lying ham curls

Thanks.
In your lower-heavy day: there is no reason to do seated and lying ham curls - and on top of that - those are isolation movements which would be more suitable for a lower light day.

On your light-leg day: I don&#39;t think you need to do both SLDL and RDL as they are very similar exercises.

On your upper light day: I don&#39;t see any reason to superset the db-press w/ a fly. and the OH press w/ the rear delt.

You are doing a press on your heavy-upper day, why not chose a different exercise on your light day. And if you are doing a flat bb press on your upper heavy day - why not do an incline press - or keep the fly - but lose the flat db press.

Also, I don&#39;t know about 3x8 for light days.....someone else can speak more knowledgabley to this, but I tend to think of 10 as a light day rep range, and 8 as a med range....but I could be mistaken on this one. [/b][/quote]
I agree

...and about the light days...I&#39;d go higher as well, since your heavy days are for sets of 6...knock it up to 10-12 reps

Amy
05-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Leah@May 2 2006, 01:53 PM

I agree

...and about the light days...I&#39;d go higher as well, since your heavy days are for sets of 6...knock it up to 10-12 reps
You taught me well :D All of this I have learned from you....and my very first post on that other site....where you fixed up a training split for me&#33;

dare
05-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions&#33;

Now, if I take away the lying & seated ham curls on my heavy day...what can I put in place of those? I do need a ham exercise, correct? Or should I just swap my ham exercise on my light & heavy days.

And, If I take away the RDL&#39;s on my heavy leg day...is doing only SLDL&#39;s enough?

I don&#39;t know how to balance my quads & hams :confused:

Amy
05-02-2006, 07:33 PM
On your heavy leg day, I would do Full Squats (quad dom) and RDL (hip/ham dom)

On your light day, Walking Lunges and some leg curl .... If you want more - maybe do a bulgarian form of dead lift (getting the single leg action)

To add more to your Heave Lower day, maybe add Leg press and step ups (high step-ups)....although I am not sure if you need to add the leg press....

dare
05-02-2006, 08:32 PM
K, just to make sure I got this right:

Changes as follows:

Upper Heavy day - stay the same as originally posted

Upper Light day - will do incline DB press, instead of flat bench
(change to 3x10 rep scheme)

Lower Heavy day : Full squats, Conv. DL, RDL&#39;s

Lower Light day: Walking Lunges, leg curls & ???? leg press? or can I do squats here as well? I can&#39;t just have 2 exercises .... ?

Also, I really like doing SLDL&#39;s - can I add these in somewhere?

Amy
05-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by dare@May 2 2006, 04:32 PM
K, just to make sure I got this right:

Changes as follows:

Upper Heavy day - stay the same as originally posted

Upper Light day - will do incline DB press, instead of flat bench
(change to 3x10 rep scheme)

Lower Heavy day : Full squats, Conv. DL, RDL&#39;s

Lower Light day: Walking Lunges, leg curls & ???? leg press? or can I do squats here as well? I can&#39;t just have 2 exercises .... ?

Also, I really like doing SLDL&#39;s - can I add these in somewhere?
For upper light - I would chose a different shoulder exercise, you are doing an OH press on the heavy day - why not do upright rows or lateral raises on the light day.

For the lower - what about SLDL do you prefer over RDL? They are such similar exercises.

On the Lower Light, I would not do leg press. I see no reason why you can&#39;t do SLDL - but as you are doing RDL on your heavy day and CDL, it might be overkill on the Dead Lifts. Why not do Good Mornings instead.

So your light day would be: wakling lunges, Good Mornings, and leg curl.

Keep your heavy day as is - but if you prefer SDL to RDL - then to SDL instead on your heavy day.

dare
05-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Awesome&#33; Thanks Amy for all your help&#33;&#33; One more quick question...is doing only 3 exercises on my light leg day going to be enough? I&#39;m just so used to doing more.

Amy
05-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by dare@May 2 2006, 06:32 PM
Awesome&#33; Thanks Amy for all your help&#33;&#33; One more quick question...is doing only 3 exercises on my light leg day going to be enough? I&#39;m just so used to doing more.
You could always add in leg extension to get a little more quad work. I don&#39;t think it is necessary, but you can do it.