PDA

View Full Version : In addition to lifting

strongchick
05-25-2006, 02:53 PM
General question....

I'm looking to expand my routine. Ready for a change, so to speak. I'd like to keep the lifting there and try to work on flexibility/core strength/etc. However, I know NOTHING about these sorts of things.

I've tried yoga in the past and found it much too boring. I like to sweat when I work out. Heart rate up, etc. I've looked into 'classes', but they are much too....cardio bunny for me. The titles alone make me want to hurl.

So my goals: keep/maintain/continue building my muscle. Increase my strength and flexibility. Power....through pylo maybe? I feel like some of my slower strength gains in the gym are due to a lack of flexibility and core...I'm hoping if I improve that my general fitness and lifts will improve.

I'm at a loss as I just don't know what the options are. So I'm asking: what else do y'all do?

CraveMuscle
05-25-2006, 02:55 PM
how much core work do you do in your lifting? for the purpose of spinal integrity and not for aesthetic looks?

strongchick
05-25-2006, 03:09 PM
I don't do any core work for aesthetics. Solely for strength. I have no goal of 6 pack abs...

But I currently do decline RTs, leg raises, weighted crunches, cable crunches and weighted twist crunches. Not all on the same day, but spread out so I do two sessions/week.

I have definitely improved my strength there. My lower back is a bit weak (I do do hypers on a ham day), though. I also feel I'm just not...strong overall. Despite the lifting and strength gains on my lifts....

lchristine100
05-25-2006, 03:12 PM
something like rock climbing is fun and new to try- I took that up a couple years ago and I found it fun and challenging and I sweat a lot since I was horrible at first and it took me try after try to get up to the top. It takes a lot of strength to do it and at first I was horrible bc I was really weak- but it's cool to see your progress, as with any new activity.

I'd suggest Yoga but you are not a fan..but I can't say enough great things about it and I have had such improvement in my flexibility and it is really noticable. I actually do sweat when I do it. It takes a few classes to get used to it and kind of get into the 'feeling' of Yoga. I'd suggest even trying it on your own in a quiet room with calm music...You can really zone out that way and calm your mind.

CraveMuscle
05-25-2006, 03:14 PM
as far as non-lifting stuff, I can only suggest power-yoga. the teacher at my gym made it into more of a workout such that I couldn't do it after a leg day. I sweated like a pig too. however, you may be so fatigued that you're lifting suffers b/c of it.

have you noticed any difference in your lifts from bulking again?

Swiss
05-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by strongchick@May 25 2006, 02:53 PM
I've looked into 'classes', but they are much too....cardio bunny for me. The titles alone make me want to hurl.

:lol: :lol:

I have issues with class titles, too.

Aside from a more fast-paced Pilates class, I'm not sure. Sorry...not much help here.

CraveMuscle
05-25-2006, 03:20 PM
the hr and a half spinning classes do it for me. :suicide: hurling that is.

and I don't get the appeal of "Bodyblast" that uses the same size BB for EVERY exercise. :scratch:

Brandi
05-25-2006, 03:23 PM
I play indoor soccer. Coed so you get a little ran around by the freaking high school boys. Jerks.

But it is fun and fast paced enough that it doesn't feel like just a cardio thing.

strongchick
05-25-2006, 03:29 PM
I actually considered rock climbing! But classes are way too $$....

Jason and I are going to start hiking/biking, but that isn't something I can do regularly. I'm also actually buying a bike for trail biking.

Yes, lifts improve whilst bulking which is definitely nice! I was considering power yoga or some martial arts?.... I just don't like 'contact' sports. Basically I hate people and want to workout alone.

CraveMuscle
05-25-2006, 03:31 PM
so, could you do boxing? just you and the bag? no "contacting" someone else.

Kathryn
05-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by CraveMuscle@May 25 2006, 09:31 AM
yea..that would be fun! or kickboxing?

JK333
05-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Not sure if this will help or not but I use videos at home for Pilates. I enjoy both yoga and pilates but I find that pilates is a bit more challenging and I use bands when I do the pilates (windsor pilates I believe are the tapes I use) and I find that it really works your core more than yoga.

Nicole
05-25-2006, 03:35 PM
I just added HOT yoga to my program for flexibility and for some core strenghth. It took about two classes to get use to the heat, but now I really enjoy it.

Of course the trick is to find a good teacher who makes you work.

strongchick
05-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by CraveMuscle@May 25 2006, 11:31 AM
Can I pretend to hit people who piss me off?

I really like that idea....hmmm.....

Kickboxing not so much my thing.

The yoga I've done before has been the rest-your-mind-inner-peace blah yoga. I suck at that. Power yoga may be better....I'm thinking of switching gyms to one that offers classes (my current one is a basement gym: weights and cardio only) so I can try some new things. But its a female-only gym and that kind of bugs me...I have to go check it out.

kjinwa
05-25-2006, 04:02 PM
I also like boxing and rock climbing.

My brother has a punching bag, so I just go over there to use it and turn on some angry music. Best anger release ever.

And for rock climbing, there is a park about 40 min. from my house that has a wall. It's free. I just bought a pair of shoes and a chalk bag and hopped on. It's still fun and challenging even if you don't have the gear to climb to the top. I don't know if you have any REI stores in your area, but some of the have rock walls that you can climb and they also rent gear.

Yoga, pilates, group classes, martial arts-not my style either. I don't like people when I work out, I need my space.

PowerManDL
05-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Boxing is awesome.

linds
05-25-2006, 04:45 PM
I row crew, took it up to learn to work with people, also not such a fan of them, but rowers seem to be a good group they appreciate hard work and are very dedicated. Sculling is great, solitary or kayaking if you like water sports.

trinitylove
05-25-2006, 04:54 PM
HOW ABOUT SOME MARTIAL ARTS? i'm sure there aren't too many cardio bunny types, unless it's some sort of pseudo martial art like Tae Bo.

aggiecasi
05-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by strongchick@May 25 2006, 09:29 AM
I actually considered rock climbing! But classes are way too $$....

Jason and I are going to start hiking/biking, but that isn't something I can do regularly. I'm also actually buying a bike for trail biking.

Yes, lifts improve whilst bulking which is definitely nice! I was considering power yoga or some martial arts?.... I just don't like 'contact' sports. Basically I hate people and want to workout alone.
If there's a rock gym near you, try to see if they have any open nights for climbers. Here in Houston, there are a couple, and a couple times a week you pay to climb ($5-8), then rent anything you need, like shoes (I don't use theirs), harness (~$2), or chalk bag ($2). The helpers here will give newbies a 1/2 hour intro on climbing and using all the stuff, then you don't have to do that again.

It's pretty inexpensive, and I usually get hooked and stay for 2-3 hours. AWESOME workout! :clap: :shades:

trinitylove
05-25-2006, 05:06 PM
there's also the option of a dance class of some sort. wow- i think i may take up something new like these ideas offered.....

rogmel
05-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by trinitylove@May 25 2006, 12:06 PM
there's also the option of a dance class of some sort. wow- i think i may take up something new like these ideas offered.....
yea..you could try one of those popular strip-tease classes!!!! :rolleyes:

anyway....martial arts may be just up your alley!! many of the kata and moves really work the core and make you sweat...and it is a really great skill to have!!

PowerManDL
05-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Fuck that, go take an MMA class

A little Muay Thai, some BJJ, come out busting some skulls.

That's how you keep it motherfucking real

yea-YEA!

mark
05-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 25 2006, 10:20 AM
Fuck that, go take an MMA class

A little Muay Thai, some BJJ, come out busting some skulls.

That's how you keep it motherfucking real

yea-YEA!
We have an MMA team at my gym. Team Chaos. Those guys are nuts.

We also have a boxing program with a full-size regulation ring and everything.

kjinwa
05-25-2006, 05:47 PM
I can't speak for all the martial arts, but I know that Kung-Fu, especially when you are first learning it, is a lot of practicing forms. A lot of tai-chi, flowy stuff = boring, in my opinion. And everyone is really friendly and they hug alot. :barf:

But, I do like watching the MMA fights. Do the MMA fighters have to go through all that hugging and flowy movements? Or do they just start kicking ass?

brightblue2006
05-25-2006, 05:55 PM
The new thing with all the trainers at my gym is the "athletic " core circuit workout. There is even a room dedicated solely to this type of training, with all the equipment you need.

My trainer gave me this workout, and told me to do it twice a week. I've done it once so far - it was a wicked workout (definitely sweaty) but not sure if I will incorporate it regularly into my routine. I'd be interested to see what people think of this. Useless? Worthwhile? There is not much in here for flexibility, but I do yoga for that.

Set up your circuit with 8 lb medicine ball, Ez curl bar - light to medium weight(I'm weak I use 45 lb ) ,2 bosu balls, skipping rope, tube and swiss ball. You also need a rowing machine and stationary bike for this variation.

unless indicated it's 3 sets with max reps, 30 secs rest between sets and 1 min rest between exercises

Hysmans with 8 lb medicine ball (harder than it looks!)
Single Thrusters - 45 lb bar - 3 sets on each side.
Full Squats
Bike - 3 miles at top speed - 1 set
Pushups on Bosu balls (one arm on each ball)
Plank with reach (you are planking and touching the floor in front w/one hand)
Burpies (anyone remember these from high school/)
Skip - 1 set - 3 minutes
Deadlift with row
Tube Row
500 meter row at top speed - 1 set

PowerManDL
05-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by kjinwa@May 25 2006, 01:47 PM
I can't speak for all the martial arts, but I know that Kung-Fu, especially when you are first learning it, is a lot of practicing forms. A lot of tai-chi, flowy stuff = boring, in my opinion. And everyone is really friendly and they hug alot. :barf:

But, I do like watching the MMA fights. Do the MMA fighters have to go through all that hugging and flowy movements? Or do they just start kicking ass?
Nope.

Big difference in training for asskicking, and training a traditional art.

Most MMA fighters keep a basic striking style and a grappling style.

You can be an effective standup fighter with a very simple array of punches, elbows, kicks, and knees. Ground fighting usually runs into the same, guys learn and master 20-30 techniques.

You don't have to get into all the showy stuff just for the purposes of asskickery.

It helps to be a little crazy, too.

kjinwa
05-25-2006, 06:05 PM
How did you like the workout Brightblue?

I prefer to go heavy at minimal reps. And use the bosu ball to reach the pull up bar.

kjinwa
05-25-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL+May 25 2006, 11:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PowerManDL &#064; May 25 2006, 11:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-kjinwa@May 25 2006, 01:47 PM
I can&#39;t speak for all the martial arts, but I know that Kung-Fu, especially when you are first learning it, is a lot of practicing forms. A lot of tai-chi, flowy stuff = boring, in my opinion. And everyone is really friendly and they hug alot. :barf:

Nope.

Big difference in training for asskicking, and training a traditional art.

Most MMA fighters keep a basic striking style and a grappling style.

You can be an effective standup fighter with a very simple array of punches, elbows, kicks, and knees. Ground fighting usually runs into the same, guys learn and master 20-30 techniques.

You don&#39;t have to get into all the showy stuff just for the purposes of asskickery.

It helps to be a little crazy, too.[/b][/quote]
Good to know. I was having a hard time believing those guys could go through years of the "traditional showy" training.

jrb1980
05-25-2006, 06:15 PM
I would say boxing. I took a six week class once and liked it. Also, I would suggest kayaking or rowing. Very popular here and killer core workout....for me anyway.

brightblue2006
05-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Well actually I did like it a lot. It was challenging. Since it&#39;s not really a lifting workout I don&#39;t mind using the lower weights. I was exhausted by the end of it. I think of it more as a conditioning workout. I could see doing it once a week to shake things up a bit, but I don&#39;t think I&#39;m going to be bumping a lifting day to do it.

kjinwa
05-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by brightblue2006@May 25 2006, 11:19 AM
Well actually I did like it a lot. It was challenging. Since it&#39;s not really a lifting workout I don&#39;t mind using the lower weights. I was exhausted by the end of it. I think of it more as a conditioning workout. I could see doing it once a week to shake things up a bit, but I don&#39;t think I&#39;m going to be bumping a lifting day to do it.
We don&#39;t have an actually space for that kind of workout at my gym, but I have seen the trainers take their clients through similar looking workouts. Although it&#39;s not something I&#39;d be ambitious enough to try, I&#39;m glad you liked it.

PowerManDL
05-25-2006, 06:53 PM
I&#39;d prefer complexes for conditioning like that.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/mma2.htm

Erik
05-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Should get Leah in here on the MMA fighting stuff. She&#39;s got a background there. I THINK her and her ex owned a studio, and I know Rob (ex) is an MMA fighter.

strongchick
05-25-2006, 07:42 PM
I&#39;m very intrigued by boxing....

I suppose that is something that has its own studio?

I like kayaking as well....awsome ideas people. This is helpful....

strongchick
05-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 25 2006, 02:53 PM
I&#39;d prefer complexes for conditioning like that.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/mma2.htm
Actually, I like that too.....

andi
05-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by strongchick@May 25 2006, 02:42 PM

Sarah, I loved boxing&#33; I really miss it actually.

Lynny
05-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by strongchick@May 25 2006, 01:42 PM

Definitely. The gym I go to is actually of of the only gyms in Austin that has a boxing studio. Pretty cool stuff.

krispy1138
05-25-2006, 08:42 PM
My hubby and I are thinking of trying boxing. There&#39;s a place by us offering beginner&#39;s classes for only &#036;15 a class, no membership fee. How would I work that in with lifting? I realize it&#39;s cardio, but what if I&#39;m too sore to lift the next day?

andi
05-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by krispy1138@May 25 2006, 03:42 PM
My hubby and I are thinking of trying boxing. There&#39;s a place by us offering beginner&#39;s classes for only &#036;15 a class, no membership fee. How would I work that in with lifting? I realize it&#39;s cardio, but what if I&#39;m too sore to lift the next day?
it depends. i kind of struggled with that myself. you still should be lifting. this place uses "real" equipment right? I mean like heavy bags, speed bags etc....
how many days do you lift weights per week?

Ananda
05-25-2006, 11:19 PM
I do kickboxing and I know that I am always sore the day after so you have to work it in. I generally do an hour of kickboxing in the morning then I running or something. That is when I am training for a fight, I lay off the weights because it makes me slower. I get my strength from a million pushups, abs :mad: and of course punching/kicking.

I also do ashtanga yoga (power) and it is a great workout. It has taken me a while to be non-competitive in one aspect of my life but it has greatly improved my focus in general and even my strength since you are just using your own body weight for everything. Also great for being able to control my breathing.

clsupnorth
05-26-2006, 12:38 AM
I second the striptease classes.....

But how about gymnastics? Rollerblading? scuba diving?

PowerManDL
05-26-2006, 12:46 AM
I had a great multiple-phase MMA strength training/conditioning program that I wrote up somewhere.

I should find it.

strongchick
05-26-2006, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 25 2006, 08:46 PM
I had a great multiple-phase MMA strength training/conditioning program that I wrote up somewhere.

I should find it.
Yes you should. :clap:

Lynny
05-26-2006, 01:52 AM
POLE DANCING&#33; You would be so good at it- you like kinky things like that don&#39;t you&#33;? :lol: :p

andi
05-26-2006, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Lynny@May 25 2006, 08:52 PM
POLE DANCING&#33; You would be so good at it- you like kinky things like that don&#39;t you&#33;? :lol: :p
yes she does&#33; :p :banana:

PowerManDL
05-26-2006, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by krispy1138@May 25 2006, 04:42 PM
I realize it&#39;s cardio, but what if I&#39;m too sore to lift the next day?
I&#39;d suggest you stop being gay.

jaleena
05-26-2006, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by strongchick@May 25 2006, 03:42 PM
Can I pretend to hit people who piss me off?

If you took Krav at the right studio, you really could hit people that piss you off&#33;
Of course, I tend to like the people I&#39;m working with...but I&#39;m sure you could find a studio somewhere with some highly disagreeable jerks&#33;

PowerManDL
05-26-2006, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by strongchick+May 25 2006, 09:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (strongchick @ May 25 2006, 09:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PowerManDL@May 25 2006, 08:46 PM

I should find it.
Yes you should. :clap: [/b][/quote]
Here&#39;s the post I made on it over on BodyRecomp

Thinking on it earlier, you could use something like the preparatory/concentration/LDTE-taper/competition sequence to cycle your emphasis, without making it overtly difficult.

Preparatory: Roughly equal emphasis on everything
1-2 sessions/week each:
Max Strength/Hypertrophy
Explosive Strength - combination of reactive/dynamic methods and strength-speed methods
Speed/Technique
Aerobic Conditioning - building a systemic base for later training

Concentrated Loading: Really bust out the strength/hypertrophy work
3-4 sessions/week, to load up:
Max Strength/Hypertrophy - if size is a requirement
Heavy Explosiveness - if size isn&#39;t so much the issue

1-2 sessions/week, to maintain:
Explosive Strength - DE Work
Speed/Technique
Mixed Anaerobic Conditioning - A little distance work, a little interval stuff

Tapering: Dissipate the fatigue, build up the explosive strength and speed
Building up to 3-4 sessions/week:
Explosive Strength - Plyometrics (Jumps, Depth Jumps, Med Ball, etc)
Speed/Technique
Anaerobic Conditioning - Build conditioning with the sport itself

1 session/week, to maintain/recover:
Max Strength/Hypertrophy

Competition: Build up the relevant qualities to the max
3-4 sessions/week, decreasing near comp:
Speed/Technique
Anaerobic Conditioning - maintain systemic condition, build lactate tolerance in the muscles (complexes)

1-2 sessions/week to maintain:
Max Strength/Hypertrophy - could possibly be combined into a single workout
Explosive Strength

So you basically get your shifting emphasis on motor abilities along with the alterations in the training load (volume and intensity) in order to be a bad mama-jamma.

I could see using short loading/tapering phases (1-2 weeks each) to slowly build up the athlete, with comp phases before comps and prep phases every so often to keep that shit up or take a break.

strongchick
05-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by andi@May 25 2006, 10:03 PM
yes she does&#33; :p :banana:
I was so disappointed that that sex shop near me stopped doing classes....

Pole dancing would be VERY fun....

(somewhat related, hubby and I are currently browing Fredrick&#39;s of Hollywood&#39;s website - I&#39;m at work, he&#39;s at home - and some guy walked by and said: Nice pictures&#33;&#33;. Doh&#33;)

P: thanks for the post&#33; Could you give an example or two of what each routine would look like?

DeeLovely79
05-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by strongchick@May 25 2006, 03:42 PM

Boxing is off the hook but you have to go to one of those old school hardcore gyms with the mean coach. I&#39;d still be boxing if those darn classes are expensive. The only thing with boxing is a lot of the hardcore gyms don&#39;t let women train so finding someone who will take you on maybe a challenge. The guy I trained with did circuit style training so you did like speed bag 2 mins, 30 sec rest then heavy bag, focus mitts, foot work drills in the ring followed by a lot different weird strenght moves. It&#39;s good mental (ie should I switch up a throw a jab, should I block this punch or use my foot work or bobb and weeve, there&#39;s a lot more thinking required in boxing than people realize) and physical work out.

krispy1138
05-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by andi@May 25 2006, 02:45 PM
it depends. i kind of struggled with that myself. you still should be lifting. this place uses "real" equipment right? I mean like heavy bags, speed bags etc....
how many days do you lift weights per week?
I haven&#39;t seen the place yet, but my boss and a co-worker train there and it sounds like they use "real" equipment. I&#39;m currently doing three days of training, full body.

(And thanks for taking my question seriously and not calling me gay&#33;)

andi
05-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by DeeLovely79+May 26 2006, 08:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DeeLovely79 @ May 26 2006, 08:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-strongchick@May 25 2006, 03:42 PM

Boxing is off the hook but you have to go to one of those old school hardcore gyms with the mean coach. I&#39;d still be boxing if those darn classes are expensive. The only thing with boxing is a lot of the hardcore gyms don&#39;t let women train so finding someone who will take you on maybe a challenge. The guy I trained with did circuit style training so you did like speed bag 2 mins, 30 sec rest then heavy bag, focus mitts, foot work drills in the ring followed by a lot different weird strenght moves. It&#39;s good mental (ie should I switch up a throw a jab, should I block this punch or use my foot work or bobb and weeve, there&#39;s a lot more thinking required in boxing than people realize) and physical work out. [/b][/quote]
yes, it is an art&#33;
I loved my one instructor-put of a face on that bag&#33; make em bleed bitch&#33;&#33;

NCfitnessgirl
05-26-2006, 02:47 PM
For a change in my routine, I love to swim. I used to be on about 3 different swim teams and I miss it now. Instead of just plain swimming, I like to use all the gadgets; like the buoy between your legs so you just use your arms, or the kickboard with flippers. It&#39;s a good workout if you don&#39;t normally do it.

Kayaking is also a favorite. There&#39;s nothing better than being inches away from the water and being able to observe nature.

PowerManDL
05-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by strongchick@May 26 2006, 08:32 AM
P: thanks for the post&#33; Could you give an example or two of what each routine would look like?
I could, but that&#39;s work.

strongchick
05-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 26 2006, 12:31 PM
I could, but that&#39;s work.
LOL&#33;&#33;

Related question which I may start a new thread on: GPP training...

Anyone do it?

LaCubana
05-26-2006, 06:27 PM
I was also going to suggest rock climbing...it involves core strength and stability, flexibility, strength, endurance, power and strategy. You might want to check your local YMCA...the one here has a huge wall and only cost &#036;10 for the day. Also I know some colleges in the Springfield, MA area have open gym night where you can use there rock walls so maybe there are some in your area.......?

PowerManDL
05-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by strongchick@May 26 2006, 01:52 PM

Anyone do it?
I use sprints for that.

BronzedGoddess
05-26-2006, 08:53 PM
I&#39;m taking a ballet class at my university right now for credit. It&#39;s much more difficult than I thought it would be. It requires so much agility, flexibility and balance. Oh and it really works my glutes.

CraveMuscle
05-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by NCfitnessgirl@May 26 2006, 09:47 AM
For a change in my routine, I love to swim. I used to be on about 3 different swim teams and I miss it now. Instead of just plain swimming, I like to use all the gadgets; like the buoy between your legs so you just use your arms, or the kickboard with flippers. It&#39;s a good workout if you don&#39;t normally do it.

Kayaking is also a favorite. There&#39;s nothing better than being inches away from the water and being able to observe nature.
the leg buoy for swimming is tough shit. a killer upper body workout. oh, and love doing turns with that thing. :baby:

Sarawithanh
05-27-2006, 03:14 AM
Bikram Yoga gets you sweaty AND your heart rate up&#33; And its challenging during EVERY single class.

JJ29
05-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by strongchick@May 26 2006, 12:52 PM
LOL&#33;&#33;

Anyone do it?
What is GPP training?

BlueTuna
05-27-2006, 07:31 PM
I know a lot of people here aren&#39;t into working their core, but IMO it&#39;s important to avoid injury. (I have a back problem so it&#39;s vital for me.)

You don&#39;t have to go to classes to do Pilates. I had a free personal training session at my gym, so I got the PT to show me a half-hour routine, which I now do on my own, mixed up with other core-strengthening exercises I picked up online, from books, or from other classes. Why not pay for one training session to show you the basics? There are also many good Pilates books, or as another poster suggested, DVDs. I know a lot of people swear by the Windsor Pilates series.

I love rockclimbing&#33; :love: That works your core too, whether you&#39;re the one on the wall or the "belay slave". I took it up for a fun thing to do - and also as a way to use the strength I&#39;ve gained through lifting - and now I&#39;m addicted. I even bought my own fancy climbing shoes yesterday, and am looking forward to doing some "real" climbing outdoors come summer.