PDA

View Full Version : Splitting up SS cardio sessions

jrb1980
05-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Say you are to do a 40 min SS cardio session. If you did 20 min in the am and 20 in the pm, instead of all 40 min at once would you be getting the same benefit?

strongchick
05-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Benefit of what exactly?

Erik
05-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Calories burned should = calories burned.

jrb1980
05-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@May 26 2006, 06:45 PM
That is what I thought but I read a mag article that said different so I wanted to clarify.

Erik
05-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 26 2006, 04:55 PM
That is what I thought but I read a mag article that said different so I wanted to clarify.
What did the article say?

jrb1980
05-26-2006, 11:21 PM
The gist of it was that splitting up the workouts would not produce the same energy expenditure as doing it all at once.

quickie
05-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 26 2006, 11:21 PM
The gist of it was that splitting up the workouts would not produce the same energy expenditure as doing it all at once.
Was this a Wieder article titled 'Break it up'?

poke
05-27-2006, 12:05 AM
I always thought "two a days" were better overall because the post-workout raised metabolism effect happens twice instead of just once.

Erik
05-27-2006, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 26 2006, 07:21 PM
That's BS.

Erik
05-27-2006, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by poke@May 26 2006, 08:05 PM
I always thought "two a days" were better overall because the post-workout raised metabolism effect happens twice instead of just once.
Assuming sufficient intensity to generate EPOC, sure. You potentially get two metabolic windows. Steady state cardio? EPOC is not a big deal.

krispy1138
05-27-2006, 11:29 AM
From the current Men's Health:

"... New research finds that splitting your cardio workout into two sessions could double your fitness gains. University of New Hampshire researchers divided 37 people into two groups and had them do aerobic workouts 4 days a week. One group exercised once a day for 30 minutes, while the other exercised twice a day for 15 minutes at a time. After 12 weeks, the twice-a-day exercisers had increased their workout capacity by 21 percent and VO2 max by 9 percent, double the results of the once-a-day group. Author Timothy Quinn, Ph.D says the twice-a-day group stayed warmed up between sessions and were able to attack the second workout. Also, the shorter workout duration meant that they didn't tire and could spend more time in a higher heart-rate zone."

Erik
05-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Also, the shorter workout duration meant that they didn't tire and could spend more time in a higher heart-rate zone."

Obviously changes the variables.

More intense cardio = more results.

Pearly
05-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@May 27 2006, 06:24 AM

Also, the shorter workout duration meant that they didn't tire and could spend more time in a higher heart-rate zone."

Obviously changes the variables.

More intense cardio = more results.
I like it when you break it down into small pieces so I can understand.

Me no likey big words.

:baby:

Blondell
09-20-2006, 06:41 PM
I was hoping to find this!! :lol:

:banana:

jackie
10-13-2006, 06:39 PM
This is great news, I just had to bump......sometimes it is hard with the children running around to get a full 45minutes in....I did not realize we could split this up.

Espi
10-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Of course it's better that way. Even SS cardio has intensity levels. And you are going to perform better for 20 mins than for 40 mins. If you know you're going to have 40mins of cardio ahead, you'll hold back more.

Case in point: I've been commuting to some jobs I had by train and had to cycle 10K to the station (6mi). I'd habitually cycle as fast as I could in the am as I'd get out of bed at the last possible moment (yeah, fasted cardio without knowing about benefits) and then upon returning cycle less frantically.
My very best fitness levels were when in addition to that 10K, I had another 12K to ride from a 2nd station. After having had breakfast in the train though. That was a total of 44K (25mi) every day for 5 months. There's no better cardio, than cardio for which you're paid for (commuting).

Mandy
10-13-2006, 07:49 PM
For some reason, it never hit me to do it this way. The stationary bike hurts my butt and girly parts after much more than 20 minutes, stupid bike seats. I could avoid that altogether if I split it into 2.

Espi
10-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Makes me wonder: is there anyone here who commutes on a bicycle? Some have jobs that are less than 10 miles away. Sounds incredibly silly to go by car and then do SS-cardio on a stationary bike at home.
Even now I don't have a job that far I go into town at least once a day, either on foot or bicycle. Which makes for around 20mins SS-cardio most of the time.

Mandy
10-13-2006, 10:21 PM
Ehm, well, I do go to class and school about 10 miles away, maybe a little more...if you want to go up and down the mountains of west virginia, be my guest, but I would drive my little bike out in front of a semi before I would ever considered it.

So, riding a bike up and down mountains for SS cardio sounds quite retarded. Plus, I don't even think bikes are allowed on the 4 lane highway.....I hate riding bikes, I'll drive my jeep 1/10th of a mile away - literally, i just did it :lol:. Nope nope, won't be an option for me.

donnajo
10-13-2006, 10:34 PM
I don't know about riding to work on a bike with a 2 year old. That would be my issue. Very scary.I work in a gym with child care.

Sportsgirl
10-13-2006, 10:35 PM
I'd love to ride to work but the issue is not being very fresh when I get there!

Brandi
10-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Same here. :uhuh:

Espi
10-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Excuses...

Oh well, there are some areas that are brutal on you and only fit for HIIT/Hills cardio... so then you do HIIT cardio on the bike.
And there's plenty people I know who commute to work on a bike while living in a very hilly area. They just take work clothes with them and change at their work place.

Must confess that back when I did commute (I live in a flat area), I apparently was hypothyroid and never worked a sweat, not even at insane speeds.

But I have cycled all over the US and Canada , and there were only very few areas that I would consider to be very hilly (like some in California, Pennsylvania and some others in New England as well as in Western Canada).
The only truly dangerous place was South Florida, and Miami in particular. They surely hate cyclists over there.
BTW, motorways are free for cyclists in the Western part of the USA . There should be plenty of byways in the East to get to work most of the time.

So, bah.. excuses :D

donnajo
10-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Have you ever seen how much I sweat? I would be drenched. I could never bike to a job where I had to be dressed all nice. Yuck! Nasty.

Espi
10-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Not everyone has a job where they have to dress all nicely.
Not everyone sweats buckets. And you don't really need to if the area isn't hilly. And if you do, some employers have showers on their site.

Ah well, I'm a former endurance weenie. Been on a gazillion email lists from cyclists and many of them found a way to commute to their work, overcoming difficulties. Taking wash cloths & soap with them, so they can refresh themselves without a shower. Take their work clothes with them in a backpack or a rackpack. Some even commute over 30miles each way.

They do that because cycling is their passion.

I'm merely talking about those who live less than 10 miles away from their job in a not too hilly terrain. There have got to be plenty people who fulfill these conditions. It's a heck of a better way to do SS-cardio. It's tons cheaper, you get to your job mentally refreshed.. this is what SS-cardio does for you. If the terrain is hilly, only do it perhaps twice a week.

KatieB
10-15-2006, 12:46 AM
If I worked and it was within a reasonable distance, I would definitely at least consider biking it. 10 miles of relatively flat terrain shouldn't take more than 30-35 minutes at a decent clip... A couple of baby wipes, some deodorant, and a change of clothes later -- good to go! I always prefer getting my cardio in some way other than biking in the gym -- of course it's starting to get a wee bit chilly for family hikes lol.