PDA

View Full Version : Heart rate monitors?

BlueTuna
05-27-2006, 07:15 PM
What do you guys think about heart rate monitors? I always thought they were a waste of money - unless you have a heart condition and need to keep your heart rate below a certain level - but the two fittest women in my spin class swear by them. Now I'm intrigued...

Blondell
05-27-2006, 07:17 PM
i think they are a waste, but i guess they could come in handy for someone who has a difficulty determining their intensity.

straitshooter
05-27-2006, 07:17 PM
i have only ever seen people spinning classes (like you mentioned) wearing them. I used to have one when I wore it back when I had a thing w/ spinning. Now I don't spin and I have no idea where the thing even is!

donnajo
05-27-2006, 07:45 PM
I am a johnny G certified spin instructor and we use them for our classes. We train them in different energy zones using heart rate. I love mine. I use it for my triathlon training. It isn't something that you absolutely need but it can be useful and fun to use. If you are good at using percieved exertion than it is not necessary, but just nice to have.

BlueTuna
05-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys! I'm getting my own spinning bike at home as soon as I can afford it. :clap: Maybe I'll get a HRM to use then - just to make sure I'm pushing myself as hard as I think I am. ;)

JJ29
05-28-2006, 10:44 AM
I love using a heart rate monitor!

bel canto
05-28-2006, 03:11 PM
I can't imagine doing cardio without my Polar. I don't know how I managed without a heart rate monitor for so long. :clap:

Be sure to get one w/ a chest monitor as opposed to one that just monitors pulse at the wrist.

Erik
05-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by bel canto@May 28 2006, 11:11 AM
I can't imagine doing cardio without my Polar. I don't know how I managed without a heart rate monitor for so long. :clap:

Be sure to get one w/ a chest monitor as opposed to one that just monitors pulse at the wrist.
Why? What do you need a heart rate monitor to do cardio for?

bel canto
05-28-2006, 03:25 PM
One doesn't *need* a monitor for cardio.

But I like numbers. Having them pop up on my wrist makes me happy.

Erik
05-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by bel canto@May 28 2006, 11:25 AM
One doesn't *need* a monitor for cardio.

But I like numbers. Having them pop up on my wrist makes me happy.
What numbers?

mark
05-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Thunder+May 28 2006, 08:17 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thunder @ May 28 2006, 08:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bel canto@May 28 2006, 11:11 AM
I can&#39;t imagine doing cardio without my Polar. I don&#39;t know how I managed without a heart rate monitor for so long. :clap:

Why? What do you need a heart rate monitor to do cardio for? [/b][/quote]
Silly question Erik.....to get into your FAT BURNING ZONE, of course&#33;&#33;

:lol:

liberty
05-28-2006, 06:01 PM
I have one but never ever use it. It makes me sweaty under my boobs :blink: and I don&#39;t know what to do with the numbers it gives me.
C

BlueTuna
05-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by bel canto@May 28 2006, 10:11 AM
:scratch: But don&#39;t your boobs get in the way?

And why isn&#39;t the watch style as good?

poke
05-29-2006, 02:02 AM
The chest band goes under the boobs, around the rib cage. Mine usually sits under the band of my sports bra. They even make sports bras specially for HR monitors to go inside them, to make them more comfortable. A watch style isn&#39;t as good because you have a lot of other activity inside your wrist that tends to interfere with the readings.

I used a HR monitor religiously when training for bike races, but the day after my last race {tear} I tossed it into my drawer and haven&#39;t used it since. The freedom is glorious. I MUCH prefer to run based on perceived effort. It feels good, and running feels fun. I may not be getting the best workout possible, but it makes me happy. At another time in my life though, those numbers made me happy, too.

Buyer beware: If you try to use it at the gym and people around you are also wearing chest straps, you will get cross-mojonation. You will get HR readings like 250 bpm, etc. Unless you buy the super-expensive programable receiver that will only pick up your chest strap.

One question for those using them for spinning: What does the HR mean to you? How are you testing your VO2 max, etc?

poke
05-29-2006, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by BlueTuna@May 28 2006, 04:53 AM
Thanks guys&#33; I&#39;m getting my own spinning bike at home as soon as I can afford it. :clap: Maybe I&#39;ll get a HRM to use then - just to make sure I&#39;m pushing myself as hard as I think I am. ;)
I just caught this. About how much does a spinning bike cost? You can also buy a regular road bike and a set of trainers. It&#39;s a contraption that you set your rear wheel onto and it lifts your bike up so that you don&#39;t go anywhere. It also adds resistance so you aren&#39;t just spinning out. If you buy a spinning bike, you can only spin on it. If you buy a regular bike and a trainer, you can also take your bike outside.

PowerManDL
05-29-2006, 05:22 AM
After a few minutes of hard cardio, I&#39;m around 150bpm.

After a sprint, I&#39;m in the 170-180 range. Drops to around 140 after 2 minutes.

That&#39;s all I need or care to know.

funnyesq
05-29-2006, 05:36 AM
I can see the logic in not using one after all if you merely work hard at your cardio so that you are "feeling" the intensity you may not need to know where your heart rate is in the scheme of things. Just max your efforts.

I guess some think there is some "fat burning zone" and I&#39;m not sure there is. I think exertion burns fat and the harder you work, the more calories you burn...I&#39;d "guess" though that at some point "anaerobic?" you burn more than fat and may burn off muscle. I doubt I&#39;m there but maybe that&#39;s why some want the monitor to make sure they don&#39;t get so high for so long that they start burning off muscle?????? Just a thought.

PowerManDL
05-29-2006, 05:42 AM
There is indeed a "fat burning zone". With intensity in the right range, fuel is definitely coming from fatty acids.

unfortunately, this sucks because it&#39;s a drop in the bucket in terms of actual fat usage.

Anaerobic stuff (ie, activation of AMPK) is far more useful.

dichotomous
05-29-2006, 06:22 AM
I love my HRM. Simply for the gee whiz factor. Especially fun to wear on leg day. :cool:

sparkygirl
05-29-2006, 11:47 AM
I like my HRM, it is a way to tell you how much you are improving.

bel canto
06-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by BlueTuna@May 28 2006, 02:47 PM
And why isn&#39;t the watch style as good?
The monitors can go kaputt. It&#39;s easier and less expensive to replace a chest strap than to buy a new watch.

glittergal
06-01-2006, 01:28 PM
I use a heart-rate monitor with some of the cardio equipment at my gym, especially for non-HIIT interval workouts. A lot of the equipment has the capability of changing resistance/speed/incline to adjust heartrate. It just makes it easier, and more fun, than having to keep manually adjusting speed/incline, etc. You don&#39;t even need the full heart rate monitor for this. The equipment just requires a chest strap. And no, I don&#39;t find the chest strap to be uncomfortable&#33;

veon
06-01-2006, 01:42 PM
I :love: my HRM. I use Polar, chest strap. I don&#39;t need it, but it helps me not give myself a heart attack during cardio (particularly HIIT).

Sometimes, assuming it&#39;s mildly accurate, I go above 100% and seeing that confirms I should slow down. Otherwise, I fear I&#39;d run myself into the ground.

Chelonian
06-02-2006, 03:56 AM
I :love: my hr monitor too&#33;

I have a mio(wrist monitor) and I&#39;ve had it, for about 2.5 yrs. I&#39;ve had to replace the battery a couple of times, but other than that, no problemo. :)

My beats per minute range from 140-170.