PDA

View Full Version : Adapting exercises for obese beginners

freckles
05-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Any suggestions as to modifiying barbell squats for someone who is too obese to properly hold the bar. I am training my mom and a friend of hers (both 5' tall and over 200lbs).

We have been training now for 6 weeks and their strength has increased substantially; to the point where dumbells are too light (at least ones that they can hold to squat). Both have lost several inches, however, their strength gains are outpacing their fat loss (won't give up some bad dietary habits). As such, mobility and range of motion remains an issue.

I set up a barbell in my power-cage for them - standard bar, no weight, just so they could get a feel for it; however, neither of them can hold the bar on their shoulders without serious discomfort :(

I am at a loss... :confused:

Any ideas?

p-funk
05-27-2006, 09:03 PM
front squat

or

hold the DBs up at shoulder level. hold them upright so that one side of the bell balances ontop of the shoulders and the other bell points straight up in the air. DB front squat.

or

if you have a trap bar, that can be really great

freckles
05-27-2006, 09:32 PM
thanks P-funk,
These two are real whiners - so I don't know about the front squats. I can hear them now, "Ow, my collar bones...". ;)

I have thought about getting the trap bar... I am always a fan of buying more equipment :train: As for dumbell front squats - we tried it once, they whined - but we'll try it again :dry:

Being the daughter, I bear much whining and abuse from these two - I don't get paid nearly enough :rolleyes:

p-funk
05-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by freckles@May 27 2006, 04:32 PM
thanks P-funk,
These two are real whiners - so I don't know about the front squats. I can hear them now, "Ow, my collar bones...". ;)

I have thought about getting the trap bar... I am always a fan of buying more equipment :train: As for dumbell front squats - we tried it once, they whined - but we'll try it again :dry:

Being the daughter, I bear much whining and abuse from these two - I don't get paid nearly enough :rolleyes:
you could try to wrap the bar with a towel for the front squats. I think it makes it hard as hell like that. But, some people say that it is comfortable.

other then that, tell them to quit whinning. :lol:

GqArtguy
05-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Make sure that the bar isnt on their neck bones.

Other than that, some people may want a pad over the bar or towel. If you have smaller bars, like 20 or 30lb 5ft bars that people use for curls, you could do that so that theyll build a tolerance to a bar.

jaleena
05-27-2006, 11:52 PM
GQ, I'm thinking the problem is more reaching back to the bar, as their larger size makes their shoulders rotate further back. Some flexibility work and RC exercises might help that.

freckles
05-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by jaleena@May 27 2006, 05:52 PM
GQ, I'm thinking the problem is more reaching back to the bar, as their larger size makes their shoulders rotate further back. Some flexibility work and RC exercises might help that.
Yup, that is the problem... I sent them home with a series of stretches that should help over time to increase the range of motion in the joint, however, their body fat does impede them from getting their arms into position.

If only I could get through to them that Low Fat potato chips aren't going to help them lose weight :sad:

jaleena
05-28-2006, 12:37 AM
Why are so many people so confused about food? Sigh.
Read about a "new" (new to me) scary diet today...the Rice Diet! And there's a clinic associated with it, so people can't screw it up by eating more that 1000cals/day. Yes, the same cals for everyone...there was a 400+lb woman who did the program. Been following it at home for a while, and now she's a "healthy" 200-ish lb woman...still eating 1000cals/day :sad:

freckles
05-28-2006, 12:53 AM
...it's that kind of thing that makes me so :censor: mad! The ladies I am training have been on every friggin diet know to mankind and it has got them nowhere. Now they want me to put them "on a diet". I won't for two reasons: 1. They need to learn proper nutrition and 2. They wouldn't follow it anyway!

Good nutrition is so simple.... I think that is why so many people have a hard time with it. If it is complicated and makes them feel crappy (like most diets) then they seem to feel better about following it!!! :suicide:

My mom's friend is one of these people who buys into the idea of "100 calorie snack packs" and is convinced that eating cake and skipping supper is the answer to all her problems.

:yell: Drop the chips ladies!!!

jaleena
05-28-2006, 12:55 AM
:sad:
It's everywhere...no clue how to make it all stop.

GqArtguy
05-28-2006, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by freckles@May 27 2006, 07:32 PM
Yup, that is the problem... I sent them home with a series of stretches that should help over time to increase the range of motion in the joint, however, their body fat does impede them from getting their arms into position.

If only I could get through to them that Low Fat potato chips aren't going to help them lose weight :sad:
If the RC is an issue, then you could try using wider grips since those dont require much external rotation relative to closer grips.

Leah
05-28-2006, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by freckles@May 27 2006, 08:32 PM
They help T lose weight :unsure:

freckles
05-28-2006, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Leah@May 27 2006, 08:17 PM
They help T lose weight :unsure:
hmm... perhaps if they followed the rest of T's lifestyle the chips might help them more. More of this :train: and less whining :)

andromeda
05-28-2006, 04:20 AM
I am not heavily overweight, but for some reason I experience discomfort in the back of my shoulders when I do leg exercises with the BB. I guess i'll have to try doing some stretching before I work with my BB-i'm not really stiff or anything-I do yoga and i'm fairly flexible, but doing squates, lunges, etc. with my barbell always makes me seriously uncomfortable in the shoulder area.

jaleena
05-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by GqArtguy+May 28 2006, 01:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GqArtguy @ May 28 2006, 01:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-freckles@May 27 2006, 07:32 PM

If only I could get through to them that Low Fat potato chips aren&#39;t going to help them lose weight :sad:
If the RC is an issue, then you could try using wider grips since those dont require much external rotation relative to closer grips. [/b][/quote]
First time I tried squatting with a barbell, I tried that...didn&#39;t help. Still almost dropped from the pain before unracking the bar. Had to do RC work and try again...although I did okay enough with a bar on my back about a week later, didn&#39;t take that long to improve enough to be useable.

Andromeda, I don&#39;t know that much about yoga (I have no patience), but I always thought I was flexible from dance. Years after quitting, I can still pop down into a split anytime...but I have absolutely no wrist or neck flexibility. And my shoulders are only moderately flexible...in general, we go around with our shoulders rolled foward so much, training them to pull back that far takes som attention.

GqArtguy
05-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by jaleena+May 28 2006, 08:45 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jaleena @ May 28 2006, 08:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by GqArtguy@May 28 2006, 01:40 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-freckles@May 27 2006, 07:32 PM

If only I could get through to them that Low Fat potato chips aren&#39;t going to help them lose weight :sad:
If the RC is an issue, then you could try using wider grips since those dont require much external rotation relative to closer grips.
First time I tried squatting with a barbell, I tried that...didn&#39;t help. Still almost dropped from the pain before unracking the bar. Had to do RC work and try again...although I did okay enough with a bar on my back about a week later, didn&#39;t take that long to improve enough to be useable.

[/b][/quote]
That sucks. But if you and these clients cannot achieve the range of motion to hold the bar, then that should be a good signal that they are not ready for barbell squatting. Rather working on shoulder strength, flexibility, and other related areas like midtrap and scapular work while hitting the lower body in other ways like lunges, leg press, etc.

freckles
05-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Yep, we do work on flexibility and plenty of other lower body exercises. My ladies refer to me as the :censor: lunge nazi. The program is a well rounded full body - the only reason I want an adaptation for this exercise is that it really gets them down :( that they are unable to do it.

I try and show them the progress they have made (unable to do more than 3 lunges, supported, no weight - to doing unsupported lunges, 3 sets of 10, with 10 lb db&#39;s). They are making great progress - but as like most of us they want immediate results :dry:

They&#39;ll thank me eventually :chinup:

funnyesq
05-29-2006, 05:48 AM
I hear that about getting the shoulders "unrounded."

I had the posture for years and I guess over the past 2+ years it&#39;s decided that I better DO something.

In that regard (I guess this is thread jacking) I have:

1. Strengthened the RC muscles (hopefully)
2. Stretched the pectorals (mine were contracted and short)
3. Strengthened my Rhomboids (to help KEEP my shoulders back and down).

It&#39;s helped but I think I may be at a point where I need surgery. I have a type 2-3 hooked acromiom that maybe impinging.