PDA

View Full Version : How does this look?

collegegirl
05-02-2006, 06:36 PM
My main question is if it's ok to do 1-2 days of HIIT (usually 1 or split up 10 min for 2 days) and 1-2 days of interval training and no steady state cardio whatsoever except 5 min before my weight training. My interval training is 15 min on the treadmill not including wu or cooldown. It's 2 min or little less of jogging, then one minute of running, but not sprinting (of course, cause I couldn't sprint that long). My second interval day is usually 30-35 min outside on a road where there are a lot of hills. My intervals are fast walking and jogging. Usually aboout half and half, but sometimes fast walking is more :D

My goal is a little fat loss, but def. not lose any muscle. Don't know if it's possible though :confused: I do a 4 day training split of 1.heavy horizontal/light vert. 2. heavy quad/light ham and the reverse other 2 days. Heavy=5x5-6 Light=3x10-12. I do 2 heavy exercises and 3 light per day. I also add in an exercise for abs or biceps or triceps each day sometimes (never all 3: too much volume).

Any comments on my workout will be appreciated and please tell me if this is enough cardio and if I need to add steady state. Note: I pretty much hate cardio.

Amy
05-02-2006, 06:43 PM
You are splitting up HIIT? It is really short to begin with. I don't know about that one.

collegegirl
05-02-2006, 06:45 PM
What if I only did one day of HITT and didn't split it up and still did my interval training? Would that be enough? My outside intervals aren't as intense as the treadmill ones I do.

Amy
05-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by collegegirl@May 2 2006, 02:45 PM
What if I only did one day of HITT and didn't split it up and still did my interval training? Would that be enough? My outside intervals aren't as intense as the treadmill ones I do.
You said your goal was to lose fat while maintain muscle...that is largly a function of diet.

I would guess that if you were on the appropriate diet, and had a good training routine, 1 day of HIIT and 2 of intervals would be fine. But the other two are far more important than cardio.

collegegirl
05-02-2006, 07:07 PM
I've cleaned up my diet a lot. I do eat about 50 calories of cheat stuff a day though such as some jelly beans or coffee creamer. Then I have a day where the cheat is higher (but the whole day is not a cheat). I think this is pretty good but I could be wrong. Does my training split look ok?

Amy
05-02-2006, 07:35 PM
What exercises are you doing?

The split itself looks good, so long as you have chosen the appropriate exercises.

collegegirl
05-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Ok, mon, day1 I do:

seated cable rows:5x5-6
machine or barbell bench press:5x5-6
wide grip pulldown: 3x10
assisted pullup (different variation each week): 3x8-10
upright rows or lateral raises or DB military press: 3x10
sometimes decline bench, bicep curls or bench dips.

Day2 (tues or wed):

Full squats with BB (not smith):5x6
Linear (legs up in air) leg press: 5x5
SDL or CDL: 3x10
ham curls: 3x10-12
usually add ab, bicep or tricep ex.

Day 3 (wed or thurs):

wide or underhand pulldown:5x5
upright rows, DB milit. press, or lateral raises: 5x5
BB or DB rows: 3x10-12
incline bench press with DB or inc. pec flyes: 3x10-12
always a chest or back horizontal exercise depending on week.
sometimes abs, bis or tris.

Day 4 (fri)

SDL or CDL: 5x5-6
ham curls: 5x5
full squats: 3x8-10
lunges with dumbells: 3x10 each leg
leg extensions: 3x10-12
sometimes abs, bis or tris.

Is the leg extension and chest press machine really bad to use? I feel like it really isolates my pecs well when I use it. HITT is usually on an off day during the week, sometimes on a train day though. outdoor interval on sat. or sun. Indoor interval is on a training day. I have 1-2 rest days. Thanks for the responses so far :happy:

collegegirl
05-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Oh and I usually do HITT with a 1:3 ratio instead of 1:2. I do 20 sec sprint and 60 sec slow jog. Is 1:2 more effective?

PowerManDL
05-02-2006, 09:29 PM
It's more effective at making you keep track of something that doesn't really matter.

collegegirl
05-03-2006, 06:09 PM
What do you mean?

PowerManDL
05-03-2006, 06:11 PM
I mean that it's really just not important to be that detail-oriented about it.

collegegirl
05-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Sorry, but it's a habit to tell all the details. Anyway, how does my plan look? I have a little stubborn belly fat to get rid of and I know it's a matter of diet and I think I'm doing pretty good on that. What about the exercises?

collegegirl
05-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Can someone please tell me if my exercises are OK or if there are some I should eliminate. I want to make sure I'm working out properly. Thanks.