PDA

View Full Version : Knees....

clsupnorth
05-28-2006, 04:19 AM
My knees have been aching alot lately, mostly at rest, but during the day as well. Recently I started doing full squats, and I also do 2 HIIT's a/week along with increased cardio. Which is more likely to be causing the soreness, the squats or the cardio?

Tony
05-28-2006, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by clsupnorth@May 27 2006, 11:19 PM
My knees have been aching alot lately, mostly at rest, but during the day as well. Recently I started doing full squats, and I also do 2 HIIT's a/week along with increased cardio. Which is more likely to be causing the soreness, the squats or the cardio?
What kind of cardio have you been doing for HIIT?

PowerManDL
05-28-2006, 04:24 AM
What do you do for intervals?

clsupnorth
05-28-2006, 04:31 AM
I've always done the treadmill for HIIT, and I jump off onto the sides and rest for my intervals. My incline is between 1.5-2.5%, and I haven't varied much with the HIIT, other than speed, in the last couple months.
However, I've found that during my sprints, I'm also starting to get what I think is plantar fascitis (sp?) - the soles of my feet start to ache.

But the knees - like right now, they are killing me - it's making me want to stop HIIT, but if that's not the problem.....

PowerManDL
05-28-2006, 04:40 AM
It sounds to be.

Squats can cause some residual knee pain, especially if you bounce or the knees bow in. But Iv'e found it's an acceptable trade-off, since the strengthened muscles can more than compensate.

My bet would be the intervals, or some combination of that with the above.

clsupnorth
05-28-2006, 04:54 AM
So what's the best move? Switch to SS for awhile, rest for awhile, switch to bike or something else, or change my intervals?

PowerManDL
05-28-2006, 05:02 AM
How long have you been doing your current schedule? Do you incorporate any down (unloading) weeks?

clsupnorth
05-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 28 2006, 12:02 AM
How long have you been doing your current schedule? Do you incorporate any down (unloading) weeks?
Uh....... no.

I don't think I even know what a down (unloading) week is...

PowerManDL
05-28-2006, 05:12 AM
Try dropping the intervals to one session a week with about half the work you'd normally do while cutting back on the volume of your strength training for about two weeks, then see what happens.

clsupnorth
05-28-2006, 05:18 AM
Begrudgingly, I will do as suggested. Don't want to be a cripple with a tight butt. Thank you!

PowerManDL
05-28-2006, 05:19 AM
People need to quit being so gung-ho. Restoration and recovery are just as integral to training programs as the actual exercise. There's nothing to fear from reducing volume or even taking time off.

Sunshine
05-28-2006, 10:39 AM
If you can, you could also switch your HIIT to the bike. It will rest both your knees and the plantar fascia a bit. Also, make sure that you are doing dynamic mobility ex and stretching following your workout. For the feet, make sure you stretch the gastroc/soleus, and then use a frozen water bottle (roll it under your foot-standing is best but seated is good too) to address the plantar fascia specifically. Good luck!

janey
05-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 28 2006, 12:19 AM
People need to quit being so gung-ho. Restoration and recovery are just as integral to training programs as the actual exercise. There's nothing to fear from reducing volume or even taking time off.
I needed to hear this.

clsupnorth
05-28-2006, 07:08 PM
If you can, you could also switch your HIIT to the bike. It will rest both your knees and the plantar fascia a bit. Also, make sure that you are doing dynamic mobility ex and stretching following your workout. For the feet, make sure you stretch the gastroc/soleus, and then use a frozen water bottle (roll it under your foot-standing is best but seated is good too) to address the plantar fascia specifically. Good luck!

Thanks - I'll try this, combined with slowing down and taking it a bit easier. I know I'm overdue for a break. Way overworked.

I needed to hear this.
Yeah, me too. I get in this go-go-go mentality where I keep so busy, that I don't even notice I haven't had a 'break' until I'm having problems.

ReneeG
05-28-2006, 11:56 PM
How long have you had your shoes? I know my feet, shins and knees start to hurt as soon as the shoes start to wear out. I use inserts sometimes too. Do you have high, flat arches?
Not that taking a break is not a great idea, but it could be a combination.

clsupnorth
05-29-2006, 03:51 AM
Huh - funny that you should mention shoes - I actually got new ones a couple weeks ago. Duh! Maybe they are contributing to the problem!
I actually have extremely flat feet - as flat as a ducks. And my old shoes weren't runners, they were worn out cross trainers. Since I was doing alot of sprinting, I got a new pair of Nike Runners, that fit awesome. But perhaps, put two and two together.... Hmmmm.....

Inatic
05-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Are you shoes appropriate for your feet. I.e being flat footed.

Here in Ga, there is a store called Fleet feet. They look at your feet and analize them, your gait and video how you run with them.

I learned that I was an over pronator, and was fitted with appropriate shoes.

www.fleetfeet.com