PDA

View Full Version : A Thick Waist?

jrb1980
05-30-2006, 05:13 PM
I am built "straight". By this I mean my waist and hip ratio is not what is "ideal" My measurements are 36-29.5-36

Sometimes I wonder how much I can actually bring my waist in, and if I do bring it in further will my hips continue comming down too? (does this ? even make sense :( )

Anyway, has anyone else had this experience. I am interested in how your body developed/changed as you became leaner.

Thanks.

Sarawithanh
05-30-2006, 05:15 PM
I have the same problem you have! My measurements are more like 36-30-36. I feel like for my height though (5'4), a 30" waist is not a good thing - there have been studies out about having to big of a waist measurement. I'm hoping to get down to 26-27" with T's help - lower if its even possible!

I'm hoping T can bring my waist measurements down when I start training w/ him.

I do not have an answer to your question though. Sorry!

CraveMuscle
05-30-2006, 05:39 PM
this may not help the hip problem, but the bigger your lats are, the smaller your waist looks. it's a way to fake the small waist "ideal"

Kathryn
05-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by CraveMuscle@May 30 2006, 11:39 AM
this may not help the hip problem, but the bigger your lats are, the smaller your waist looks. it's a way to fake the small waist "ideal"
I need to work on my lats :dry:

Someday
05-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Not sure if this will help, but when I started with Thunder my measurements were 34-27.5-35, now after 6 weeks, they are 33-25.5-33. I am 5'4" and have always looked pretty straight, no matter what my weight. I attribute the waist decline (BTW, this is the smallest it's ever been even when I weighed less) mainly to a change in nutrition, not necessarily to lost weight, although I've lost 10 pounds.

Kathryn
05-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Someday@May 30 2006, 11:51 AM
Not sure if this will help, but when I started with Thunder my measurements were 34-27.5-35, now after 6 weeks, they are 33-25.5-33. I am 5'4" and have always looked pretty straight, no matter what my weight. I attribute the waist decline (BTW, this is the smallest it's ever been even when I weighed less) mainly to a change in nutrition, not necessarily to lost weight, although I've lost 10 pounds.
congrats! :dance:

rogmel
05-30-2006, 09:25 PM
I have the same body type....and the waist gets WORSE after kids.....it is my major problem area!!! URGH :censor: I just signed on with T so hopefully he has some magic in that hat for my wide midsection!!!

Angelkae
05-30-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Someday@May 30 2006, 12:51 PM
Dang! What are you doing?

Someday
05-30-2006, 10:31 PM
I don't want to hijack this thread but Thunder is well worth it. (Although I guess I just did, sorry). I am 52 years old, have two kids and just returned from having by BF% done and it went down from 17.6% to 13.9%. So not only are my measurements way down but so is the BF%. I'm not saying this is not a lot of work but the dividends are worth it. I work full-time but my kids are grown now and I now have the time (and compulsive streak) to do this for myself, under the expert tutelege of Thunder. :train:

jrb1980
05-30-2006, 11:26 PM
I also work with Thunder...yes, he's great - no dispute BUT

just wondering how those with a thick waist have developed as you become leaner. Do you ever reach a point where only the waist is going to come in or once straight always straight?

CraveMuscle
05-31-2006, 12:20 AM
Not to slam it in your face, but I have a very small waist in comparison to my ribcage and hips, and I find that the leaner I get, the more I lose my natural hourglass figure. Obviously most of this change is b/c of losing fat on the hips, but the associated fat loss around the waist didn't create the same waist/hip ratio when lean as when I was higher bf. You'll notice that some figure competitors who are very lean and have a more naturally boyish waist/hip ratio are essentially straight up and down for their comps.

this probably does not answer your question at all, but I'm just trying to give some examples.

Limitless
05-31-2006, 12:44 AM
Can't help you as I am the opposite. I HATE my teeeny 23-24 inch waist because my hips/butt are more like 34-ish so my ass looks ginormous.
I always wanted to "fill my waist in" (not with flab, just make it bigger) as my hips won't ever shift. Bones are where they are!

I find that boyishly built women tend to have better defined abs, if that is a consolation.

and ironically enough, the advertisement at the bottom of the page is for a waist nipper. :lol:

JJ29
05-31-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 30 2006, 06:26 PM
I also work with Thunder...yes, he's great - no dispute BUT

just wondering how those with a thick waist have developed as you become leaner. Do you ever reach a point where only the waist is going to come in or once straight always straight?
Hey there! My middle name is thick waist LOL.

From my experience I have lost more inches on my waist than on my hips, so my waist has " gone in " alot. However, I am not sure it is possible for me to ever have an hour glass shape per say.. . but it is possible to look alot better!!

drlinda
05-31-2006, 01:40 AM
I used to have a small waist and hated it because my hips looked bigger. Four pregnancies have added inches and now I am not so sure I like this either!

rogmel
05-31-2006, 01:30 PM
Question for those with a "thicker" waist to hip ratio....do you tend to carry most of yor excess fat(not saying that anyone has any :unsure: ) in the middle?.....cause I sure do.....my butt and hips are small but it seems like every ounce of bodyfat I have is in the middle and creates monster "muffin top" over my jeans, shorts etc.
Any one else experience this??or am I alone??? :uuhh:

LisaBunny
05-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Before working with T, I really didn't have a waist. I was built straight down, and I carried all my fat in my lower back. Since working with T, my torso is much leaner, and I can see an hourglass figure forming. I still have fat in the lower back region, but that's not going away overnight LOL.

Sarawithanh
05-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by rogmel@May 31 2006, 09:30 AM
Question for those with a "thicker" waist to hip ratio....do you tend to carry most of yor excess fat(not saying that anyone has any :unsure: ) in the middle?.....cause I sure do.....my butt and hips are small but it seems like every ounce of bodyfat I have is in the middle and creates monster "muffin top" over my jeans, shorts etc.
:lol: thats ME! and I'm only 24 with no kids :dry: :unsure:

Kathryn
05-31-2006, 02:17 PM
I have a frickin wide rib cage..I need to build my lats up more in order to get my waist lookin smaller :censor:

gin
05-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 30 2006, 12:13 PM
I am built "straight". By this I mean my waist and hip ratio is not what is "ideal" My measurements are 36-29.5-36

Sometimes I wonder how much I can actually bring my waist in, and if I do bring it in further will my hips continue comming down too? (does this ? even make sense :( )

Anyway, has anyone else had this experience. I am interested in how your body developed/changed as you became leaner.

Thanks.
Those are my exact measurements right now. The leanest I've ever been was about ten pounds ago and a lot of it came off of my waist. I was 35-27-35, but I have a really large ribcage and I don't think it could have gotten much smaller.
How and where you lose weight is so subjective. It always comes off of my waist last :(

jrb1980
05-31-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by rogmel@May 31 2006, 01:30 PM
You are sooooo not alone. I have diteched the muffin top finally, but my waist and lower back (around the hips) gets all my fat

Christine_99
05-31-2006, 04:29 PM
I have a thicker waist too and that is where I gain as well. Funny how those with tiny waists want a thicker one and ... well .. you know what they say - you always want what you don't have right. :)