PDA

View Full Version : slap some sense into me

tsunamii
05-31-2006, 02:25 PM
I just need some words of wisdom. I'm 5'8", 24 years old (female), and weigh 148-150. I've been training with my trainer for 6 weeks now. We do full body twice per week for 60 minutes and it's very intense. I've also been doing cardio an average of 3 days per week (1 HIIT, 2 SS or all SS) - though this week I bumped up my cardio because I have an event on Saturday. Following her direction (I've been told it's good to pick one person to listen to), I've been eating an average of 1500 calories per day, 60-90g carbs, 45-70g fat, 120-160g protein. I eat very very clean, drink lots of water, and don't really take any supplements.

I haven't lost really any weight. I know weight isn't everything but it's absolutely MADDENING. I have lost 3 inches off my waist and my clothes do fit better.... but it's weird because I seem to only really be getting smaller in my waist and hips.... I carry weight in my arms and it seems like they aren't slimming down with the rest of me.

I just need some reassurance. Be nice- I'm not a jackass who doesn't read the stickies- I'm on this board every day :clap:

Thank you!

Jypsie
05-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by tsunamii@May 31 2006, 09:25 AM

I have lost 3 inches off my waist and my clothes do fit better....
What more could you ask for? It sounds like you are making real progress :clap: Everyone has that one area that takes forever to slim down, it seems your arms are that area for you. It will come with time.
Congrats on your success so far, 3 inches off your waist in 6 weeks is fantastic! The only recommendation I would have is to start increasing your calories a little. 1500 seems like it would be pretty low for you.

That is all

mcv
05-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Isn't that always the case - we lose fat from where we want to dead last!! However - 3 inches lost in your waist in 6 weeks sounds great!!

Maybe it is just time to switch it up a little - having you been doing the same routine for the whole 6 weeks?

tsunamii
05-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Thank you, Jypsie! It helps to hear it from someone else :)

tsunamii
05-31-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by mcv@May 31 2006, 09:43 AM
Isn't that always the case - we lose fat from where we want to dead last!! However - 3 inches lost in your waist in 6 weeks sounds great!!

Maybe it is just time to switch it up a little - having you been doing the same routine for the whole 6 weeks?
My trainer constantly changes reps/weight/exercises/order. It's definitely never the same thing twice.

It's just so frustrating b/c she's so "weight centric"- she sees I'm not losing weight and thinks I'm cheating. I think it's just b/c she's used to people coming to her not having dieted or exercised on their own, which I was doing before I got with her.

mcv
05-31-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by tsunamii+May 31 2006, 09:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tsunamii @ May 31 2006, 09:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mcv@May 31 2006, 09:43 AM
Isn&#39;t that always the case - we lose fat from where we want to dead last&#33;&#33; However - 3 inches lost in your waist in 6 weeks sounds great&#33;&#33;

My trainer constantly changes reps/weight/exercises/order. It&#39;s definitely never the same thing twice.

It&#39;s just so frustrating b/c she&#39;s so "weight centric"- she sees I&#39;m not losing weight and thinks I&#39;m cheating. I think it&#39;s just b/c she&#39;s used to people coming to her not having dieted or exercised on their own, which I was doing before I got with her. [/b][/quote]
Are you unhappy with your trainer? It would be frustrating for me if I am busting my ass, and my trainer only sees the negatives. IMO a trainer should work with you, not against you&#33;

Hoochiemomma
05-31-2006, 03:09 PM
tsunamii - I think you are doing great. I went to the gym for 2 years before the scale moved, although I saw changes in my body and my fitness level improved dramatically. It seems to be an ongoing theme - take a couch potato who eats crap and get them eating well and exercising, of course the results will be more dramatic. Do the same with someone who is already active and watches what they eat and you are not going to get similar results.

If your trainer persists in this attitude I would remind her that you are working toward your goals, not hers.

tsunamii
05-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Hoochiemomma@May 31 2006, 10:09 AM
Do the same with someone who is already active and watches what they eat and you are not going to get similar results.

If your trainer persists in this attitude I would remind her that you are working toward your goals, not hers.
Isn&#39;t this the truth? Ok, I feel a bit better now- it&#39;s just so hard to read about all those couch potatoes who eat like crap their whole lives, then they start going to curves and lose 20lb in a month. I mean, good for them, but I&#39;m busting my ass lifting and eating CLEAN and ... well I&#39;m getting my reward, it&#39;s just not in the form of the scale reading 135lb :p

Don&#39;t get me wrong, my trainer is great and she really goes above and beyond for me, but her and I don&#39;t share philosophies 100%. The only reason I even dare follow her low cal regime is because she&#39;s got a book full of before and after pics of girls she&#39;s trained to compete and they look FANTASTIC. :love:

jrb1980
05-31-2006, 04:09 PM
My OLD trainer was the same way - I would do exactly what she asked, with regards to everything I put into my mouth, missed one workout in 3 months and she seemed pissed that I wasn&#39;t dropping pounds as fast as I should be...she was basically like "are you sure you are not sneaking a cookie." Pissed me off to no end.

So I left her. Got a new one - much better.

Anyway, my scale hasn&#39;t budged in months, but I am getting leaner. This is very hard for me to deal with too. I just don&#39;t get it. I am 5&#39;7.5 and range from 137-142 all the time. Because I do now really trust my trainer (thunder) I just do what he says the best I can and don&#39;t worry about the scale anymore.

tsunamii
05-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 31 2006, 11:09 AM
My OLD trainer was the same way - I would do exactly what she asked, with regards to everything I put into my mouth, missed one workout in 3 months and she seemed pissed that I wasn&#39;t dropping pounds as fast as I should be...she was basically like "are you sure you are not sneaking a cookie." Pissed me off to no end.

So I left her. Got a new one - much better.

Anyway, my scale hasn&#39;t budged in months, but I am getting leaner. This is very hard for me to deal with too. I just don&#39;t get it. I am 5&#39;7.5 and range from 137-142 all the time. Because I do now really trust my trainer (thunder) I just do what he says the best I can and don&#39;t worry about the scale anymore.
Awesome that you were able to find Thunder and make those changes&#33; It IS hard not seeing that scale move. Ugh. I will try to focus on what IS going right and make any tweaks I can to improve my results.

I&#39;m just afraid I&#39;m going against my metabolism. I want to compete and was planning on doing my first competition (model) in mid-July but I&#39;m not sure I&#39;ll be ready. I&#39;m just afraid I won&#39;t be able to work off the layer of fat covering my muscles. And I&#39;m going to a party at the pb mansion this weekend and am just worried that I won&#39;t look good next to all the beautiful women that will be there. I&#39;m worried that my worrying will take all the fun out of it.

I&#39;m friggin neurotic. Damn. :suicide:

smuggie
05-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by tsunamii+May 31 2006, 11:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tsunamii @ May 31 2006, 11:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hoochiemomma@May 31 2006, 10:09 AM
Do the same with someone who is already active and watches what they eat and you are not going to get similar results.

Isn&#39;t this the truth? Ok, I feel a bit better now- it&#39;s just so hard to read about all those couch potatoes who eat like crap their whole lives, then they start going to curves and lose 20lb in a month. I mean, good for them, but I&#39;m busting my ass lifting and eating CLEAN and ... well I&#39;m getting my reward, it&#39;s just not in the form of the scale reading 135lb :p

Don&#39;t get me wrong, my trainer is great and she really goes above and beyond for me, but her and I don&#39;t share philosophies 100%. The only reason I even dare follow her low cal regime is because she&#39;s got a book full of before and after pics of girls she&#39;s trained to compete and they look FANTASTIC. :love: [/b][/quote]
I think 1500 is too low for you. If you continue like that for too long you might damage your metabolism.

MicheleSC
05-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Don&#39;t worry about the scale so much - you are losing inches and that means you are making progress. Too bad your trainer doesn&#39;t realize that.

tsunamii
05-31-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by smuggie@May 31 2006, 12:10 PM

I think 1500 is too low for you. If you continue like that for too long you might damage your metabolism.

I think you&#39;re right. I&#39;m going to give it a little more time with "her way" and if it&#39;s just not working out, I&#39;ll step up back to maintenance for a couple weeks and cut down from there. Thanks for the input :lol: