PDA

View Full Version : HIIT on Stair Stepper - Effective or Not?

Jenny
05-31-2006, 02:50 PM
I tried HIIT on the stair stepper the other day. Is this very effective? I really worked up a sweat and my quads were BURNING after each "sprint", but I don't really feel like my heart rate was very high. I wasn't really out of breath like I get when doing HIIT outdoors. On the stepper, I couldn't really go faster because I felt like my quads were limiting me because of the burn.

Do you think this was still an effective HIIT workout for me? :huh:

Erik
05-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Jenny@May 31 2006, 10:50 AM
I tried HIIT on the stair stepper the other day. Is this very effective? I really worked up a sweat and my quads were BURNING after each "sprint", but I don't really feel like my heart rate was very high. I wasn't really out of breath like I get when doing HIIT outdoors. On the stepper, I couldn't really go faster because I felt like my quads were limiting me because of the burn.

Do you think this was still an effective HIIT workout for me? :huh:
I think the 'quads are burning' is the problem with doing HIIT on the stepper. It's too quad intensive. Potentially running the risk of too much aerobic adaptations.

Colour me not a fan, but not because it doesn't kick your butt, but rather for the quad issues just mentioned.

Jenny
05-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Okay, back outside I go! ;)

Swiss
05-31-2006, 04:02 PM
I agree. I tried HIIT for the first time on a stepper the other day and didn't like it at all. My quads were burning and my heartrate did not get even close to where it does when I do HIIT sprints on the treadmill.