PDA

View Full Version : Equipment limitations

amyloo
05-31-2006, 02:53 PM
So, I'm like some others in that I am limited in the equipment available to me. Which is really sad, considering I belong to TWO gyms.

Gym A:

Ladies only, heaviest barbell is 60 lbs, then it's the :censor: Smith machine if I want to go heavier. No squat rack whatsoever. Heaviest dumbells are 25 lbs

Gym B:

Also no squat rack. No barbells at all. Only thing here is a EZ bar, (not even a straight bar) and the ubiquitous Smith machine. (this is our city's recreation center gym, which is dirt cheap due to my husband being a city employee. Obviously, I'm getting what I'm paying for here.)

Home:

Barbell set that goes up to 120 lbs, no squat rack. Only a husband to help hoist said barbell on my back for any weight I can't clean and press overhead. (Which is between 55-60 lbs)

Honestly, what's a gal to do in this situation?? Please don't tell me to find another gym, it's financially not an option at this time. I may drop Gym B in August and join a better equipped one, but I don't want to wait till then to see improvements in my lifts. I am ready to go heavier than what I'm currently limited to. I know that I could and should be lifting heavier on my "heavy" days.

How bad would it be for me to at least use the Smith for bench press? I know I can bench more than the 60 lbs barbell. I could use my barbell at home, but I don't have a bench.
I refuse to use the Smith for squats. I squat and deadlift at home so I can go heavier. I'm probably still not as heavy as I should be with those two lifts, but I'm getting there.

If you've been in this situation, how have you adapted the equipment available to your needs?

Angelkae
05-31-2006, 03:35 PM
I'd get a cheap bench. Walmart has these, but you may find one even cheaper at a used sporting goods store.

$89 Weider Bench (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4872287)

$108 Gold's Bench (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4303563)

Erik
05-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Yeah, not so good.

jaleena
05-31-2006, 08:18 PM
Dewaite set up sawhorses for a squat rack...build yourself a squat rack and get the cheap bench and you can do all of your weights at home! If one of the gyms is convenient, you might want to keep it for cardio, but you'll wind up saving money pretty quickly, and have both good equipment and privacy :)

Angelkae
05-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@May 31 2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah, not so good.
:suicide: You have a better idea?

Erik
05-31-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Angelkae@May 31 2006, 04:21 PM
:suicide: You have a better idea?
I wasn't referring to your post, sorry.

Angelkae
05-31-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@May 31 2006, 04:04 PM
I wasn't referring to your post, sorry.
I was teasing, silly....

**Group Hug!!** (We need a hug smiley)

Inatic
05-31-2006, 09:54 PM
i'd cancel membership to both gym and invest in some equipment if you have the room for it.

amyloo
05-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Thank you for the links! That Gold's Gym bench is pretty cool, it's got a built-in squat "catch". That would definitely solve my squat AND bench press issue.
And yeah, I'll keep the membership to Gym A at least, because it's close to work and provides me with a sanity check on my lunch break!

amyloo
05-31-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Inatic@May 31 2006, 04:54 PM
i'd cancel membership to both gym and invest in some equipment if you have the room for it.
Ileen,

I'll keep one of them as I mentioned above. The other one is up at the end of July and I won't renew it. Their childcare is getting too pricey anyway. Space is ALWAYS an issue at my house (a husband and three growing kids), but I'm going to try to find a home for a bench at least.

I just looked through your pictures and wanted to say...YOUR HAMSTRINGS ARE AWESOME! I can only dream of having legs like that some day. :love:

Inatic
05-31-2006, 10:06 PM
I hear ya on the space. :) We're lucky we have a room in the basement as well as a gym membership. 5 growing kidlets here.

Thanks for the props. :)