PDA

View Full Version : help on sneakers

sparkygirl
06-01-2006, 09:22 PM
I've tried every single Nike sneakers for running and all of them makes my feet hurt :(

I am wondering if anyone could suggest a good sneaker that it is not from Nike, the only Nike i haven't tried is the one that calls Nike free... or something like that.

I would appreciate any help :)

PinkGlitter86
06-01-2006, 09:38 PM
I've always preferred Reebok over Nike. And I love my Asics.

JackieRTP
06-01-2006, 09:46 PM
I wear Saucony sneakers for running (they have a wide boxy front). I cannot wear Nikes as they are too narrow for me. I would suggest going to a running store where they can look at your running gait and help you select a shoe for that type.

linds
06-01-2006, 10:29 PM
I've always been a Nike fan (not Shox those suck, cute but loose support FAST) but 6 months or so I found Asics Gel Nimbus, LOVE them! I'm on my second pair and because they sell out so fast locally I went ahead and bought two more pairs. I have narrow feet and they work great for me, running and lifting but I have friend with normal and wide feet that they work well for.

Strive2Define
06-01-2006, 10:31 PM
The only Nikes I have ever been able to run in are the air zooms..otherwise I don't like them for running. I prefer Aasics or New Balance.

Isama
06-01-2006, 11:05 PM
i heard that asics gels are really good, but haven't tried it yet myself

sparkygirl
06-01-2006, 11:20 PM
cool, thank you, so i guess i will go to store and try those out :)

many thanks!!

Inatic
06-02-2006, 12:54 AM
Do you have a store like Fleet feet in your area? They look at your feet, watch you walk and video tape your stride. Make recommendations on shoes, fit them and then repeat. No extra charge.

www.fleetfeet.com

I am an over pronator. My shoes and now fitted to compensate for it.

sparkygirl
06-02-2006, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Inatic@Jun 1 2006, 07:54 PM
Do you have a store like Fleet feet in your area? They look at your feet, watch you walk and video tape your stride. Make recommendations on shoes, fit them and then repeat. No extra charge.

www.fleetfeet.com

wowww that's really cool, i never heard of that, i will see if they have in my area, that will be awesome! :)

thanks for this info!

sara1313
06-02-2006, 02:24 AM
You can also order them from roadrunnersports.com and they have a 30 day or 45 day return policy. you can run in them and still return them if they do not work out. I have been ordering from them for over a year and I love their customer service.

bel canto
06-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by sparkygirl+Jun 1 2006, 09:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sparkygirl &#064; Jun 1 2006, 09:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Inatic@Jun 1 2006, 07:54 PM

www.fleetfeet.com

wowww that&#39;s really cool, i never heard of that, i will see if they have in my area, that will be awesome&#33; :)

thanks for this info&#33;[/b][/quote]
Even if there isn&#39;t one in your area, I&#39;m sure there is some sort of running store. The people working at these specialty stores are usually very knowledgeable and they&#39;ll help you pick out a shoe that best fits your foot. It might not be the most aesthetically pleasing shoe but it will be the best fitting.

spicy~d
06-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Mizuno shoes are really good too.

browna2000
06-02-2006, 01:13 PM
I love my New Balances for both trail running and road running. But, I have a wider box width - so take that into consideration. Nikes are always smaller in the box width.

Cass
06-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Saucony has always been my favorite running shoe. They make several different styles to accommodate specific problems. East Bay has a good selection in their catalogue. :)

las26
06-03-2006, 07:11 PM
Adidas has some good ones as well.

Blondell
06-03-2006, 07:31 PM
I :love: adidas&#33; They make my feet sing&#33; :lol:

GymBean
06-03-2006, 07:38 PM
I posted this on O2 and I will post it again here because I think it needs repeating:

There are good and bad shoes in any brand&#39;s running shoe line. Period. You really can&#39;t generalize and say all Nikes are bad and all Asics are great. It just doesn&#39;t work that way. A good shoe is one that fits YOUR foot and YOUR running style. If you base your purchase decisions off some random forum poster&#39;s opinion, you&#39;re bound to be disappointed. What may be a great shoe for me, could be uncomfortable and lead to injury for you. I recommend visiting a running specialty store to have them analyze your gait and fit you for shoes. A good store will watch you run in addition to looking at your feet and the wear patterns in your current running shoes. Contrary to what the magazines say, you can&#39;t really determine the proper shoe by solely looking at whether you have a high or low or no arches. For example, not all flat-footed runners overpronate and require severe motion control shoes, etc. If a store doesn&#39;t actually watch you run, I wouldn&#39;t buy from them. Running specialty stores are more expensive than online or big box sporting good stores for a reason: You&#39;re paying for the service. I also recommend trying on as many pairs as possible. Don&#39;t limit yourself based on brand, limit yourself by shoe type (neutral, stability, cushioning) regardless of brand. Don&#39;t buy a shoe just because it&#39;s pretty or in style. If a shoe doesn&#39;t feel good when you first try it on, don&#39;t buy it. You will not be able to "break them in" if they&#39;re uncomfortable to start with.

funnyesq
06-03-2006, 09:04 PM
It really does depend on your foot and probably other things. You have to find a good shoe person to be patient and explain etc.

New Balance I swear by. I use them for long distance walking (running shoes) as well as some running (I&#39;m working up to more and more running). I like Saucony too (very good shock absorption) but they are not built, for my feet, for the longer distances. I found this out when I trained for the Avon 3 Day Breast Cancer Walk a few years ago. I even had a podiatrist who said the same thing i.e. that New Balance are built better for longer distances and that if you are going to walk longer distances to get a running shoe vs. a walking shoe.

leeway
06-04-2006, 02:33 AM
I also swear by New Balance. I&#39;ve been wearing them for years. Every once in a while I&#39;ll try another brand, but I always seem to come back to New Balance.

Inatic
06-04-2006, 03:29 AM
Running specialty stores are more expensive than online or big box sporting good stores for a reason: You&#39;re paying for the service.

my sneakers at the Running specialty store was the same price at the big box sporting good store.. I checked.. I also checked on line.. same price. Maybe they dont all charge extra?

I agree though, the best shoe for you,is the one matched to your foot and your running/walking style.

sparkygirl
06-04-2006, 05:31 AM
I will go to a store where they can check me running, I never had this done before, well i didn&#39;t even know this was possible :oops: so i will do some shopping next week.

thanks for all the advices :clap:

mark
06-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by GymBean@Jun 3 2006, 12:38 PM
I posted this on O2 and I will post it again here because I think it needs repeating:

There are good and bad shoes in any brand&#39;s running shoe line. Period. You really can&#39;t generalize and say all Nikes are bad and all Asics are great. It just doesn&#39;t work that way. A good shoe is one that fits YOUR foot and YOUR running style. If you base your purchase decisions off some random forum poster&#39;s opinion, you&#39;re bound to be disappointed. What may be a great shoe for me, could be uncomfortable and lead to injury for you. I recommend visiting a running specialty store to have them analyze your gait and fit you for shoes. A good store will watch you run in addition to looking at your feet and the wear patterns in your current running shoes. Contrary to what the magazines say, you can&#39;t really determine the proper shoe by solely looking at whether you have a high or low or no arches. For example, not all flat-footed runners overpronate and require severe motion control shoes, etc. If a store doesn&#39;t actually watch you run, I wouldn&#39;t buy from them. Running specialty stores are more expensive than online or big box sporting good stores for a reason: You&#39;re paying for the service. I also recommend trying on as many pairs as possible. Don&#39;t limit yourself based on brand, limit yourself by shoe type (neutral, stability, cushioning) regardless of brand. Don&#39;t buy a shoe just because it&#39;s pretty or in style. If a shoe doesn&#39;t feel good when you first try it on, don&#39;t buy it. You will not be able to "break them in" if they&#39;re uncomfortable to start with.
VERY well said.

Erin
06-04-2006, 11:27 PM
I have an extremely hard time with shoes too. My feet are very wide so Nikes are out. Of course I&#39;ve never tried the men&#39;s nikes. Are they wider? I use NB just some basic running shoes and replace them about every 3 months. I think they&#39;re the cheapest ones they make. I&#39;ve tried Saucony and they made my feet feel numb. In fact just about everything I try either makes my toes numb or the bone on the top of my foot hurt. :( I&#39;ll have to look into some of these other ones discussed here.