PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a newbie...

JulieT
06-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi! I've been lurking and reading for a few days now and have a few questions to get a feel for the board.

1. Are you training for a competition or just doing this for health?
2. How often does everyone work out a week really? I've read the suggestions, but how much do *you* usually do? Do you do more?
3. Are you on a special diet, and if so which one? Is it to bulk or slim?

A little history on me. In I'm 5'7", and in January weighed 185 lbs. I started strength and cardio training 6 days per week, and am now at 152 lbs. My goal is to be about 145, lean, and strong, but I'm amazed at all the bodies I see in the pictures! I'm a stay at home mom, and really, the only reason I started training was b/c my local YMCA had a free childcare and it gave me time away from my kids. Now I'm hooked!

Julie

Feather
06-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by JulieT@Jun 1 2006, 05:36 PM
Hi! I've been lurking and reading for a few days now and have a few questions to get a feel for the board.

2. How often does everyone work out a week really? I've read the suggestions, but how much do *you* usually do? Do you do more?

A little history on me. In I'm 5'7", and in January weighed 185 lbs. I started strength and cardio training 6 days per week, and am now at 152 lbs. My goal is to be about 145, lean, and strong, but I'm amazed at all the bodies I see in the pictures! I'm a stay at home mom, and really, the only reason I started training was b/c my local YMCA had a free childcare and it gave me time away from my kids. Now I'm hooked!

Julie
Hi and welcome, I'm also a stay at home mom.
I exercise for my health at least three times a week and I have yet to pick a diet.(not sure which one is best for me yet) :)

PowerManDL
06-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by JulieT@Jun 1 2006, 06:36 PM
1. Neither at the moment. At this point it's to look good, which takes a priority over healthy. Though that's not the norm for me; usually I do it to lift really heavy stuff. Which also takes priority over healthy.

2. My typical routine has three to four weight sessions with however many cardio/GPP sessions I feel like throwing in (usually not many). Right now, I'm consistently getting three weight sessions and 2-3 cardio sessions for the fat-loss work.

3. Yes and no. I just eat less, focus on getting protein and good fats with minimal carbs. Not really focusing on counting calories or any specific plan. My typical diet is what we refer to as "GFH", which means I focus on protein intake and otherwise just eat whatever the fuck I feel like.

tsunamii
06-01-2006, 10:48 PM

Julie
First of all, OMG you are awesome! Congrats on the weight loss.... that's an amazing feat to have accomplished in such a short amount of time!

To answer your questions:
1) I'm training for a competitiong and I have a goal to get into fitness modelling. It's actually more of a personal mental and life challenge than a quest for physical perfection (although I do have to acheive the latter to fully reach the former).

2) I do 2 hour long full body workouts with a trainer each week, then 3-4 days of cardio, consisting of 1 HIIT session and the rest SS.

3) My goal is fat loss so I've been eating **clean** - mostly lean protein, veggies and oatmeal.

I wish you luck on those last 7 pounds- I know it gets harder and harder to lose and tighten up once you're close. Read the stickies at the top of each section if you haven't done so already- there's a goldmine of info.

Brandi
06-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by JulieT@Jun 1 2006, 03:36 PM
#1 I have a comp coming up in almost 15 weeks. So for now, it is to kick ass at that. Most of the time it is to look acceptable naked. :lol:

#2 Lift 4x SS Cardio 2x-ish... :oops: HIIT 2x

#3 Whatever T tells me to eat I eat. And MOST of the time I am good at it... It is to get cutttttt up and veiny.

JJ29
06-01-2006, 11:53 PM

1.* Are you training for a competition or just doing this for health?
2.* How often does everyone work out a week really?* I've read the suggestions, but how much do *you* usually do?* Do you do more?
3.* Are you on a special diet, and if so which one?* Is it to bulk or slim?

A little history on me.* In I'm 5'7", and in January weighed 185 lbs.* I started strength and cardio training 6 days per week, and am now at 152 lbs.* My goal is to be about 145, lean, and strong, but I'm amazed at all the bodies I see in the pictures!* I'm a stay at home mom, and really, the only reason I started training was b/c my local YMCA had a free childcare and it gave me time away from my kids.* Now I'm hooked!

Julie
Hi! :wave:

1. I train for health/fitness reasons and because I love it! I have no desire to compete but I want the abs that competitors have!!!

2. I workout 6-7 times a week.

3. I am on the Thunder diet. LOL.

jrb1980
06-02-2006, 12:11 AM
1. To look good and feel good (mentally and physically)

2. Follow Thunder's plan

3. Eat a specific diet created by Thunder

Inatic
06-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Welcome Julie. :hi: Great success.

Im a mom of 5, teach preschool part time.

Unlike some of the gals/guys here, im not interested in competiting. I want the competitior body without ever having to step on stage.

I wt train 4x/week with some cardio and tennis thrown in.

Also following T's plan.

fitnesschick
06-02-2006, 01:02 AM
hi :hi:

i'm a stay at home mom of 4 ...

i work out to stay healthy and well for vanity as well ;) but no competitions for me.

i weight train 4x a week, HIIT 2 days a week and SS 3 days a week. sometimes less cardio depending on how busy i am with the kids (i homeschool too).

i don't follow a special diet ... just lots of fruits/veggies/whole grains, good proteins, generally good food choices with room for chocolate. i have a tendency to go overboard and get a little obsessive so i have to work hard at eating in a way i can maintain realistically for a lifetime.

great job on the weight loss!!

Erik
06-02-2006, 01:03 AM
1. Primarily to look good nekkid, but with a growing interest in training/eating for health.

2. Weights 4x/week and cardio ranges depending on goals.

3. I do what Thunder tells me to do.

Strive2Define
06-02-2006, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Thunder@Jun 1 2006, 09:03 PM

:dry: copy cat :lol: :lol:

Welcome..
I work out for health and fitness and to maintain weightloss.
I generally lift 3-4 times per week and begrudgingly do cardio as much.Usually 2 sessions of HIIT on the treadie and 1-2 ss sessions.
I also tend to eat a very clean diet all the time simply because I am scared to death to gain weight.

Congrats on your weightloss!! Keep up the awesome job!!

janey
06-02-2006, 01:11 AM
1. To look as good as I can, have peace of mind and to be healthy;

2. Weights 3X per week and I try to do cardio at least twice a week. :oops:

3. I don't follow a specific diet other then trying to keep my cals at a certain amount while getting enough protein and essential fats. Right now I'm trying to eat at maintenance cals in order to prepare for dieting again soon.

Carm
06-02-2006, 01:13 AM
Hi Julie,

I too am a stay at home Mom of 2 boys.

I started working out 1 1/2 years ago because I hated my FLAT butt. It had lost it's bubble!!

I weight train 3 days a week. I hate, hate, hate cardio. Do it once a week maybe, plus 1-2 HITTs.

My diet is very clean...which I think is 90% of my success. And yes, I love chocolate and have a cheat meal/treat once a week.

Good luck, and congrats on your success!!

sh610
06-02-2006, 01:22 AM
Welcome,

I follow Body For Life-

Weight training 3 days per week
Cardio 3 days per week
Eat clean 6 days per week (on 7th day I eat what I want)

I do this plan to be healthy and feel good.

Great job on the weight loss. :clap:

donnajo
06-02-2006, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Thunder@Jun 1 2006, 08:03 PM
:funny:

absolut_blonde
06-02-2006, 01:45 AM
1. Not training for competition, but I'm training for more than just health reasons-- also vanity, and sanity. I love the strong, fit look, and working out regularly makes me feel 100x better mentally (since I have had some depression/anxiety issues in the past).

2. I do 4 strength training sessions. Cardio varies, sometimes I get lazy. Something like 2 SS, 1 HIIT, and then sometimes I do some lower-impact things with SO (like going for short hikes, etc)

3. Trying to gain muscle right now so I've been kind of sloppy about my diet because I've always had a fast-ish metabolism. But it's gotten out of hand (too many dinners out with SO) and I think I'm gaining too much fat, so I am trying to clean it up now.

Chelonian
06-02-2006, 02:13 AM
Hi Julie- Congrats on your weight loss- Quite the accomplishment. :clap:

1. I too like the way I feel when I consistently workout and it helps my performance in sports. I wouldn't want to compete, but I am inspired to look like the hard bodies here on this board!

2. I was working out 5 days/week with 3ss and 2 hit cardio's. For weights I was doing 3/week. My work schedule has currently changed so now its 3 weights and 2 cardio. :dry:

3. I have flab to lose so I'm trying to eat a cleaner diet. I have trouble in this area, and its a constant struggle, especially with the kid snacks in the house.

smuggie
06-02-2006, 02:27 AM
Lift 3-4x a week, depending on the program. Right now it's 3x a week.

2-3 short interval cardio sessions a week, because I'm trying to gain weight. Plus, I'm already lean enough so I wouldn't need to do more even if I wasn't t trying to add more muscle. :p

Diet is mostly clean even though I'm bulking.

Goal is to eventually do a PL meet, but that won't be until next year.

Fet
06-02-2006, 02:55 AM
Good work Julie! I'm a mom too, and I understand the necessity of "ME" time!

1. I'm mostly doing this to look good nekkid, and around the pool, but I'm also enjoying the way my clothes fit. Oh, and I'm an endorphin freak in sooo many ways, so I love that part too.

2. I do weights 4xwk, and cardio usually 2 HII and 2 ss, depending on my schedule.

3. I'm eating clean 90%+, based on info I've read here, O2 and other sites. I've taken their plans and tweaked them for my own situation.

GqArtguy
06-02-2006, 03:28 AM

Julie
1. For competiton

2. 5 days a week

3. Im on the get-up-to-the-85kg-class-and-still-look-lean diet

sparkygirl
06-02-2006, 03:40 AM

1.* Are you training for a competition or just doing this for health?
2.* How often does everyone work out a week really?* I've read the suggestions, but how much do *you* usually do?* Do you do more?
3.* Are you on a special diet, and if so which one?* Is it to bulk or slim?

A little history on me.* In I'm 5'7", and in January weighed 185 lbs.* I started strength and cardio training 6 days per week, and am now at 152 lbs.* My goal is to be about 145, lean, and strong, but I'm amazed at all the bodies I see in the pictures!* I'm a stay at home mom, and really, the only reason I started training was b/c my local YMCA had a free childcare and it gave me time away from my kids.* Now I'm hooked!

Julie
Congrats on your weight loss!! that's awesome!!

right now i am not training at all, just had a baby from a very hard pregnancy where i had to stay the last couple of months in bed... so i don't even know where to begin again.

but i always trained for many reasons, the first would really be to look good, than healthy, than strong... but my future plans it is maybe to get into fitness modeling... so hopefully i can accomplish that one day.... for now i need to get back in shape, i lost a lot muscle during this pregnancy, months in bed did my body no good, so i am basic skinny-fat right now :(

krispy1138
06-02-2006, 12:16 PM
1. Not training for a competition - strictly vanity (trying to lose the 25 lbs I've gained in the last 4 years)

2. Weights 3 times a week, cardio is HIIT 2 times a week and now that the weather is nicer, 1 or 2 SS sessions outside, yoga 1-2 times a week.

3. I'm following Body for Life - I :love: the meals in the Eating for Life book!

browna2000
06-02-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm in off season for this year already did 2 competitions.

I lift around 5-6 times a week because I'm trying to gain some mass - so I'm really breaking the body parts up. Onseason is totally different.

Bulk diet for now! Thank God. After 16 weeks of dieting already no way do I want to be "craving" food right now!!

Angelkae
06-02-2006, 01:31 PM

Julie
1. I don't do comps. For me, it's just for health and a hawt body, lol.

2. I lift 3x weekly and do cardio 2-3x weekly (alternating days).

3. I eat around 1500 calories daily. I'm trying to lose fat. If you also want to lose fat, multiply your weight times 12. That's your daily calorie intake. Get 1 to 1.5 grams of protein for each pound of your body weight. Limit carbs to healthy, complex carbs, and limit fats to healthy fats. Avoid processed white sugar, white flour, white rice, etc. White is bad, lol. That is what I do.

Erik
06-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by browna2000@Jun 2 2006, 09:10 AM
I lift around 5-6 times a week because I'm trying to gain some mass - so I'm really breaking the body parts up. Onseason is totally different.
What does that mean exactly?

mark
06-02-2006, 02:12 PM
1. I do this so that I don't look like the other 40 yr old people I see around me.

2. Normally train 4x per week.

3. pizza and ice cream.

leeway
06-02-2006, 02:31 PM
1. Primarily just for health at the moment, not ruling out possible competiton down the road.
2. 4 or 5 times a week.
3. No special diet. Just trying to eat cleaner.

Erik
06-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by mark@Jun 2 2006, 10:12 AM
1. I do this so that I don't look like the other 40 yr old people I see around me.

2. Normally train 4x per week.

3. pizza and ice cream.
It's working for you. Good job Mark.

strongchick
06-02-2006, 02:32 PM
1) Health. I'm trying to gain some muscle and a bit of fat.

2) Lift 4 days a week, and do cardio around 2. SS, rather slowly. I'm also starting to bike to work, though.

3). Must.Eat.More. I hate my over-full stomach....

mark
06-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@Jun 2 2006, 07:31 AM

It's working for you. Good job Mark.
Thanks Erik. :)

JulieT
06-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Stupid question - what does SS mean? I'm assuming it has something to do with cardio?

Julie

Inatic
06-02-2006, 04:05 PM
what does SS mean? I'm assuming it has something to do with cardio?

SS= Slow Steady Cardio
HIIT= High Intensity Interval Training

PowerManDL
06-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by JulieT@Jun 2 2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Stupid question - what does SS mean? I'm assuming it has something to do with cardio?

Julie
It's short for Schutzstaffel, Hilter's elite stormtroopers during the reign of the Third Reich in Nazi Germany.

Erik
06-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL+Jun 2 2006, 12:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PowerManDL @ Jun 2 2006, 12:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JulieT@Jun 2 2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Stupid question - what does SS mean? I&#39;m assuming it has something to do with cardio?

Julie
It&#39;s short for Schutzstaffel, Hilter&#39;s elite stormtroopers during the reign of the Third Reich in Nazi Germany. [/b][/quote]
Just burst out laughing. :lol: