PDA

View Full Version : Incidental exercise

kates13
06-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Pertaining to the theory on doing as little cardio as necessary to acheive your goals...I understand the whole concept that too much cardio makes your body get used to that amount and therefore needing more and more, etc, and HIIT is much more beneficial. But what about all the incidental exercise...i.e. taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking further away, chasing a toddler around all day, even grocery shopping. I guess I am asking if doing that instead of sitting at a desk all day is 1) beneficial, or 2) if it is does not make a difference, or is 3) detrimental in that it is making your body more efficient at fat burning. I hope this makes sense...having a hard time articulating what I am trying to say...

Erik
06-02-2006, 05:04 PM
I think it's a good thing. Little bit of extra expenditure here and there adds up.

NEPA - non exercise physical activity

PowerManDL
06-02-2006, 05:08 PM
There's a slight difference in general conditioning and directed cardio training. I'd consider the former to be a good thing.

I know damn well I need to do more of it.

Erik
06-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@Jun 2 2006, 01:08 PM
There's a slight difference in general conditioning and directed cardio training. I'd consider the former to be a good thing.

I know damn well I need to do more of it.
Extra activity or more DNP. Come on. This is a no brainer.

PowerManDL
06-02-2006, 05:10 PM
DNP = easier, therefore it's the best route.

kates13
06-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Ok, that is what I figured, thank you..

But, then, Couldnt you argue that there isn't much difference in someone that walks the mall while shopping, or someone that has an extremely active job vs someone that sits a desk all day and then does steady state cardio everyday?

Kathryn
06-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by kates13@Jun 2 2006, 11:12 AM
Ok, that is what I figured, thank you..

But, then, Couldnt you argue that there isn't much difference in someone that walks the mall while shopping, or someone that has an extremely active job vs someone that sits a desk all day and then does steady state cardio everyday?
I always wondered this too.

kates13
06-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Right? I know.I just can't wrap my brain around someone that cleans houses all day vs. someone that sits at a desk all day all other things being equal needing the same amount of calories. I think the latter person could SS every day for awhile and not burn the amount of cals of the former.

Kathryn
06-02-2006, 06:00 PM
I wasn't thinking about calorie wise...I guess I wonder about doing all those incidnental exercise in place of SS..i.e. walking a lot to get somewhere, climbing up and down 5 flight of stairs numerous times a day, etc.

janey
06-02-2006, 06:05 PM
If you did the same thing everyday, ie. walked the same flight of stairs and walked to work/school, I would think it would be one of those things your body would just become efficient at and not burn as many calories.

I used to walk to school everyday when I was younger and it was a fair walk...and sometimes it was a run/walk because I was late, yet I didn't lose any weight from doing it.

PowerManDL
06-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by janey@Jun 2 2006, 02:05 PM
If you did the same thing everyday, ie. walked the same flight of stairs and walked to work/school, I would think it would be one of those things your body would just become efficient at and not burn as many calories.

When you gain a lot of weight in a short time period, this itself becomes the goal.

kat2002
06-03-2006, 04:40 AM
Aside from weight training, my day to day activity is pretty sedentary...I feel like I need to do something to get in some extra movement. Any reason not to add some extra walking on the treadmill into my routine (not talking heart pumping cardio here, just something to get the legs moving a bit)?

andromeda
06-03-2006, 05:14 AM
I wonder about this a lot too. I have several kids and no car. We walk EVERYWHERE. Yesterday I pushed a double stroller around 4 miles going to appointments and picking up groceries-it can be a real challenge pushing a double stroller uphill loaded with two toddlers and groceries. It can also be very tiring (especially in this heat). I find myself really motivated to do my weight training when I DO have time for a workout because I kind of feel like all the walking I do around town should qualify as some sort of steady state cardio. We walk for groceries/fresh veggies maybe every other day or every third day, we walk down to the library or to the park, etc. quite often...I hope all this walking counts for SOMETHING! LOL! :suicide:

Phoeff
06-03-2006, 12:24 PM
I have a very physical job, plus I wear 8 lbs. extra for my equipment. I probably get away with eating a little extra, but not much. I think your body does adapt a bit.

Pandora
06-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by andromeda@Jun 3 2006, 12:14 AM
I wonder about this a lot too. I have several kids and no car. We walk EVERYWHERE. Yesterday I pushed a double stroller around 4 miles going to appointments and picking up groceries-it can be a real challenge pushing a double stroller uphill loaded with two toddlers and groceries. It can also be very tiring (especially in this heat). I find myself really motivated to do my weight training when I DO have time for a workout because I kind of feel like all the walking I do around town should qualify as some sort of steady state cardio. We walk for groceries/fresh veggies maybe every other day or every third day, we walk down to the library or to the park, etc. quite often...I hope all this walking counts for SOMETHING! LOL! :suicide:
It does. Think about what your heart rate is when pushing a stroller uphill with two toddlers and groceries. If your heart rate is up for an extended period of time, it counts.