PDA

View Full Version : can't get rid of lower back pain

FitMomof4
06-02-2006, 08:21 PM
About a month ago I became overzealous, wanted to lift heavier, and hoisted a barbell with 55 pounds over my head to do squats...my lower back has never been the same since. Prior to that I had been squatting with 50 pounds on the barbell and had no problems. My husband has since bought me a squat rack but I have yet to use it because my back still hurts. I've tried different kinds of squats (with wimpy 5 lb dumbbells, with no weight at all; plie squats with light weight) but after each workout my lower back really hurts, enough to make me take motrin and wear one of those therma-wraps. Today I did weights, but no squats, barbell rows or deadlifts (and what's a workout with out those exercises? Lame!) My back hurts anyway today. I think I have to take at least a week off from all weight work, because even lifting the dumbbells to do other exercises is probably contributing to the problem. I used 20 lb dumbbells for my overhead db presses and thought I was careful lifting them but who knows.

So what do you think? One week off? Two? Then to get back into squatting shoudl I start from ground zero, with no weights, then move up to wimpy 5 lbs, and up from there? I am so mad, now I have the squat rack I've been needing and it could be months before I can lift heavy again.

Should I up my cardio next week since I won't be doing any weights? I currently do 2 HIIT (running at track) and one 30-min. interval run.

thanks for any suggestions.

strongchick
06-02-2006, 08:44 PM
I hurt my back doing DLs back in January and took two months off from any strenuous lower back exercises.

Better safe than sorry.

Kristy
06-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Where is the pain, what does it feel like, and when does it hurt?

Chelsinator
06-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Have you been to the chiro or RMT?

FitMomof4
06-03-2006, 12:33 AM
The pain is way down low, on the left side and in the middle. It hurts whenever I bend over forward - like to put sneakers on or something - a really sharp pain. Actually a couple of mornings I got up to run, and I had a difficult time getting my running shoes on & lacing up! But the running seems to help - loosens it up.

I have never been to a chiropractor or RMT.

It feels much better tonight - like I said, I did no squats, deadlifts or rows this morning. Rest definitely helps. It's just I am too obsessive and don't want to take any time off so I keep trying to work around it. I think I have to take a week off. I'll just keep telling myself, it's 80% diet and only 20% working out...

Kristy
06-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by FitMomof4@Jun 2 2006, 04:33 PM
The pain is way down low, on the left side and in the middle. It hurts whenever I bend over forward - like to put sneakers on or something - a really sharp pain. Actually a couple of mornings I got up to run, and I had a difficult time getting my running shoes on & lacing up! But the running seems to help - loosens it up.

It feels much better tonight - like I said, I did no squats, deadlifts or rows this morning. Rest definitely helps. It's just I am too obsessive and don't want to take any time off so I keep trying to work around it. I think I have to take a week off. I'll just keep telling myself, it's 80% diet and only 20% working out...
Does the pain travel down into your glutes or legs, and do you feel any numbness?

Stifler
06-03-2006, 02:18 AM
I always have back pain. I just deal with it.

FitMomof4
06-03-2006, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Kristy+Jun 2 2006, 08:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kristy &#064; Jun 2 2006, 08:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-FitMomof4@Jun 2 2006, 04:33 PM
The pain is way down low, on the left side and in the middle. It hurts whenever I bend over forward - like to put sneakers on or something - a really sharp pain. Actually a couple of mornings I got up to run, and I had a difficult time getting my running shoes on & lacing up&#33; But the running seems to help - loosens it up.

It feels much better tonight - like I said, I did no squats, deadlifts or rows this morning. Rest definitely helps. It&#39;s just I am too obsessive and don&#39;t want to take any time off so I keep trying to work around it. I think I have to take a week off. I&#39;ll just keep telling myself, it&#39;s 80% diet and only 20% working out...
Does the pain travel down into your glutes or legs, and do you feel any numbness?[/b][/quote]
Nope, it doesn&#39;t travel and no numbness. Just a sharp pain that stops when I stand up straight again.

leeway
06-03-2006, 03:04 AM
My brother had lower back pain for a week and a half after what he called a minor biking accident while continuing on his workout schedule. After seeing his doctor who diagnosed it as a lower back sprain, he took it easy for 3 weeks and slowly got back to his workout schedule.

IMHO, you should see a professional and get a diagnosis just for your peace of mind.

homeschoolmom
06-03-2006, 03:09 AM
It&#39;s been a month since the original injury, correct? I&#39;d get a doctor or chiropractor to take a look at it. I hope it&#39;s better soon. Back pain sucks.

krispy1138
06-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I hurt my back lifting boxes at work a couple of years ago (sounds like it&#39;s the same place as yours). The pain comes and goes, but it hasn&#39;t interfered with my training or my life, so I never went to the doctor for it. It sounds like your pain is causing you a lot of problems, so you should definitely see a doctor.

BlueTuna
06-03-2006, 09:33 PM
I also have a lower back problem - I strongly recommend you see a sports physiotherapist and possibly get an MRI. I suffered way too long before seeing a physiotherapist.

I manage my problem by working around it, strengthening my tranverse abdominus and multifidus muscles, and doing lots of stretching. Good luck&#33;

Kristy
06-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by FitMomof4+Jun 2 2006, 06:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FitMomof4 @ Jun 2 2006, 06:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Kristy@Jun 2 2006, 08:43 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-FitMomof4@Jun 2 2006, 04:33 PM
The pain is way down low, on the left side and in the middle. It hurts whenever I bend over forward - like to put sneakers on or something - a really sharp pain. Actually a couple of mornings I got up to run, and I had a difficult time getting my running shoes on & lacing up&#33; But the running seems to help - loosens it up.

It feels much better tonight - like I said, I did no squats, deadlifts or rows this morning. Rest definitely helps. It&#39;s just I am too obsessive and don&#39;t want to take any time off so I keep trying to work around it. I think I have to take a week off. I&#39;ll just keep telling myself, it&#39;s 80% diet and only 20% working out...
Does the pain travel down into your glutes or legs, and do you feel any numbness?
Nope, it doesn&#39;t travel and no numbness. Just a sharp pain that stops when I stand up straight again. [/b][/quote]
Go see a Chiro thats certified in ART. Sounds like it could possibly be Sacro-Illiac joint related. Hard tot ell at this point, but the best thing you can do is get it checked out.

FitMomof4
06-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I hate hate hate going to the Dr., mostly because it means my husband has to take time off from work to watch kids while I go, and what a lame use of vacation time, and it is a scheduling nightmare since he is so busy at work (note: this is all me...he would be the first one to send me to the Dr. if he knew the back still hurt&#33;) . Anyway, I am going to take this week entirely off from weights and see if it feels better. If not I will definitely call the Dr. If it is better I will probably rest it another week and then try a "weight" workout with only body weight and proceed carefully. It probably doesn&#39;t help either that I lift my almost-3-yr old twin boys all day long onto the potty. Don&#39;t ever potty train twins if you can help it :)

I hope this doesn&#39;t mean my metabolism is going to start choking. :( I will keep up the cardio, though.

Inatic
06-04-2006, 03:51 PM
I sympathsize with your back trouble. :( Mines been aching for about two weeks now. I suspect i tweaked it doing Dlifts. It was problem for me yrs ago prior to training and losing wt. Thankfully in recent yrs it hasnt been much of a problem.

I&#39;ve still be able to cautiously train around it. But i need to get it looked at.

I finally found a dr that does ART in my area and have an appt tentitive appt set for tues, but one definitely set for thurs.

Do make the time to get it looked at. It might go away for now, but there might be something there that you should be aware. Im wondering that for myself, ignoring the pains for so long way back when.