jrb1980
06-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Is this a problem at all?

glittergal
06-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Which style?

jrb1980
06-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Say Bikram...but let's talk in general about them all.

glittergal
06-02-2006, 11:38 PM
I think it really does depend on style. For example, a restorative practice is sheer relaxation (adult nap time :cool: )
I don't practice Bikram, so I can't say how my body would do with a Bikram practice. I do Ashtanga and Anusara. I can definitely say that the more advanced Ashtanga practices would not count, for me, as a rest day. An Anusara class, though, which tends to be much slower pace, with focus on alignment, and plenty of time for breathing exercises, would be great for an off day for me.
It also probably depends on how many off days you have that week. If it was my only off day, I personally wouldn't do a more vigorous practice.

JivaGirl
06-03-2006, 01:14 AM
I do yoga on, well all days right now. But I'm carb cycling so I do them on my low days. They are ashtanga style flows done in a heated room, and I feel fine. It depends on your level of practice too, but for me, yoga is not considered under the same line as training, even if it is strenuous.

glittergal
06-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Jiva,
I totally agree that yoga is not at all the same style of training as lifting.

I just know that if I do a tough practice with a lot of lunges and long holds that I don't feel like my leg muscles are actually getting enough rest, especially if I try to do that type of practice the day of or the day after a heavy lower body day.

I adore yoga, though, and find that it has so many benefits. Relevant to this discussion, I find that my yoga practice has really given me the wisdom to know what my body needs at a given time. Whether the right thing is to push hard or to pull back, I can do that with yoga.

I also love the way that regular strength training has helped my yoga practice. I can now do some poses I never imagined I would be capable of. Fun!! :clap:

PowerManDL
06-03-2006, 02:30 AM
I don't know bro, that might be overtraining LOL

glittergal
06-03-2006, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@Jun 2 2006, 09:30 PM
I don't know bro, that might be overtraining LOL
Ha, ha! Laugh all you want at my yoga :p

las26
06-03-2006, 04:39 AM
I've been wondering the same thing because I like to do Bikram and if I've had a really tough training week, I feel too worn out for such a strenous class...

jrb1980
06-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks. Bikram can be pretty intense that's why I wasn't sure, also because I only take one day off.

Thanks

Pandora
06-04-2006, 06:32 PM
I do yoga every morning. I do not look at it as part of my exercise program. It's really more of a spiritual/mental art and discipline.

BronzedGoddess
06-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Ashtanga might be too much especially if you just getting into it.

EmilytheStrange
06-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by BronzedGoddess@Jun 4 2006, 05:42 PM
Ashtanga might be too much especially if you just getting into it.
Ditto to this. I've never, ever done yoga before and yesterday (my off day), I did a beginner's ashtanga yoga class. Let me say that I was sweating just as much as when I do HIIT. And today, my body is really, really sore. I'm still debating as to whether I'll go back for more torture (but I'm really a masochist, so I probably will ;) )

jmrut22
06-08-2006, 09:26 PM
You might want to try some YOGA for relaxation or stretching on an off day. YOGA is really good for stretching the muscles.
I have done ASHTANGA and it is by no means something for an off day but I would not rely on it soley as my cardio either... Make sense?
I was really sweating during ashtanga.

Ananda
06-08-2006, 11:10 PM
I practice ashtanga a couple of times a week. It is by no means an off day relaxer thats for sure! I agree with the fact that it isn't enough for cardio either. I still run a lot as well. It is great for functional strength though as well as focus which crosses over to other aspects of your life.