PDA

View Full Version : Stretching Between Sets

northernstar
06-03-2006, 03:24 PM
I know stretching before lifting is bad, because it can keep you from lifting as heavily as possible. (uhh...right?)
What about stretching between sets? I've always done this but I've been thinking that if you shouldn't stretch before you start, the rule would apply during lifting. Should I save it till after? Or keep doing it?

According to the fitness bible, Shape, stretching between sets keeps you from getting bulky and aids in toning :sad:

mark
06-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Stretching between sets is the same concept. You're still stretching before you're lifting. The Shapsters are saving themselves from getting "bulky" since they can't lift as heavy because of the stretch. Not that they often venture beyond 10lbs anyway.

Mols
06-03-2006, 04:27 PM
:lol: LOL ouch!

smuggie
06-03-2006, 05:37 PM
When you engage in static stretching it pulls the sarcomeres out from their overlapping or contracted position. That reduces force production if you stretch the agonist muscle group before lifting or between sets.

If you want to stretch between sets stretch the antagonist muscle group in order to reduce antagonist co-contraction.

From a post T made at the other site:

If anything, you'd stretch the antagonist muscle groups in order to reduce any antagonist co-contraction, which also reduces force generating capabilities.

This is basically a fancy name for a neural process that has the potential to reduce your ability to lift at your fullest potential. This principle states that if an antagonist muscle has a lot of tension in it, the agonist will have to produce even more force to produce movement. Itís known that static stretching before a workout is not a wise idea. Why? Because it reduces the potential force development of the stretched muscle. Basically it has a negative impact on strength. We can use this little known fact to reduce the level of co-contraction of the antagonist muscle group. How? By stretching the antagonist prior to training the agonist. The result will be a reduced amount of tension in the antagonist muscle group and as we said earlier that tension in the antagonist muscle group will negatively impact the force production of the agonist, or target muscles. So in short, the force generating capabilities of the target muscle are now enhanced.

And Shape sucks. :dry:

mybell
06-03-2006, 05:38 PM
What if you stretch a body part you;ve stopped working?