PDA

View Full Version : Injuries while training

pavermama
06-04-2006, 07:59 PM
I had a 45 lb. plate drop on my finger yesterday. This makes the second time I've done this (different scenario, but I still knew better)! Anyhow, about 10 years ago, I was bench pressing with dumbells and when I went to set the weights down at my sides, I smashed my fingers in between another set of dumbells that were already laying on the floor. (no, they were not mine). I ended up blowing the end of my finger almost completely off and had to have it sewed back on. Same finger was smashed yesterday. Hurt like hell, but luckily I was just trying to get the weight off the floor and it slipped. Just wondering how many others have had some "incidents" while at the gym and what were they?

Inatic
06-04-2006, 10:16 PM
OUCH!

I've dropped a 45lbs plate on my foot.. luckily, it barely hit down hard. I've knock my fingers in between db's too. Thankfull just a OUCH out of that. I've tripped.

Probably the worst i've done we upon completely a set of jump squats, I turned around too fast and banged my head on the bar of the smith machine. Now THAT major hurt and I have a bruise for over a week. Not to mention i nearly passed out.

Fortunately nothing has kept me from training.

absolut_blonde
06-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Well, I haven't injured myself (knock on wood) but I did set a 20lb dumbbell down on my iPod's headphones awhile back and ruined the right one. At least is wasn't the iPod!

DeeDee
06-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by pavermama@Jun 4 2006, 02:59 PM
I had a 45 lb. plate drop on my finger yesterday.
ouch! :eek:

Worst I've ever done is bonk my head on the end of the bar on a smith machine beside me....didn't leave any long lasting injury, except for a little embarrassment. :p

Meadows
06-05-2006, 02:57 AM
I have been that girl that fell off the treadmill.

twice. :oops:

I have also tripped over my "steps" (or feet) in a step class and hit the floor, multiple times

Another time I picked up some weights and was backing up to sit down on the bench, missed the bench and busted my ass.

Those are the most recent incidents. I am a catastophe waiting to happen :lol:

Fet
06-05-2006, 11:43 PM
I can beat that. 3 wks ago, I was near the end of my workout, sitting on the bench between sets of DB-thingies. Sipping on my water bottle. Doing absolutely NOTHING. I heard a crash on the other side of the gym and twisted around quickly to have a look. Shooting pain up my shoulder --- ended up at physio AND massage therapist! I'm such a loser. Of course I told everyone it was a "gym injury", cuz technically it did happen at the "gym".

Stifler
06-06-2006, 12:31 AM
Right now I can barely walk and have to roll off my bed. Did something to my back. Not sure what though. . . .

fit_girlFL
06-06-2006, 02:20 PM
I thought I'd try one of the cardio dance classes at my gym - thought it'd be a fun change of pace. I have no coordination (and so should probably not have been in that class to begin with) and had a really tough time following along - but I didn't give up that easy. It wasn't until I tripped over my own feet and fell flat on my backside that I decided to head back to my beloved Stair Master. I was glad at least that I decided to stick to the back row, it would have been worse if I had been front and center. :(

So big injury to my ego on that one.

Mandy
06-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Stifler@Jun 5 2006, 08:31 PM
Right now I can barely walk and have to roll off my bed. Did something to my back. Not sure what though. . . .
what about your wrists too? You said you messed those up somehow.

pavermama
06-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by fit_girlFL@Jun 6 2006, 09:20 AM
I thought I'd try one of the cardio dance classes at my gym - thought it'd be a fun change of pace. I have no coordination (and so should probably not have been in that class to begin with) and had a really tough time following along - but I didn't give up that easy. It wasn't until I tripped over my own feet and fell flat on my backside that I decided to head back to my beloved Stair Master. I was glad at least that I decided to stick to the back row, it would have been worse if I had been front and center. :(

So big injury to my ego on that one.
This is funny because one of the girls in my fitness classes decided to bring in a camcorder to record us during one of our classes. We were doing some football shuffles and she tripped over her own feet. All of this caught on tape so she gets a laugh whenever she works out to this at home.

GqArtguy
06-11-2006, 12:56 AM
I had just finished an O-lifting session one saturday morning and my coach was helping me perfect "brushing" the bar off my thighs. After dropping heavy loads, I was given an empty bar and keep doing these drills and getting annoyed because this brush wasnt happening. WHen I was done I just drop the bar and it landed flat on my big toe.

I forgot that the bar would actually hit the floor this time. That screwed mobility in the toe for a few weeks. :lol:

BlueTuna
06-11-2006, 01:18 AM
This thread has brightened my day! I'm glad I'm not the only klutz out there. :lol:

Let's see... I had to give up step classes 'cos I kept falling off the step. :oops:

Once I tripped over my own barbell. :oops:

I've dropped plates on my feet more than once. :oops:

Once I was doing bench presses on a stability ball and slid right off the ball. :oops: Never again!

And just recently, I was trying to adjust an incline bench and it flipped over and landed on my finger - which went an interesting brown/purple colour. :oops: I'm lucky I didn't break my finger.

PnW
06-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Was doing romanian deadlifts one time... weight was (in hindsight) TOO heavy for me and as I was going down for a rep, felt something slip and click in my back. All I was thinking was FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KK!!

Wasn't as serious as I thought it was, but it has DEFINITELY made me wayyy more aware of my form on all my exercises!!!

Q45
06-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by lazyone@Jun 11 2006, 02:31 AM
Was doing romanian deadlifts one time... weight was (in hindsight) TOO heavy for me and as I was going down for a rep, felt something slip and click in my back. All I was thinking was FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KK!!

Wasn't as serious as I thought it was, but it has DEFINITELY made me wayyy more aware of my form on all my exercises!!!
:eek:
if i felt something like that happen to me id be freaking out...

i love going heavy on my deads but for fear of messing up my back i dont go too heavy....it kinda sucks cause sometimes i push injurys to the side just to pile on the weight...

wyochic
06-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by pavermama@Jun 4 2006, 02:59 PM
Anyhow, about 10 years ago, I was bench pressing with dumbells and when I went to set the weights down at my sides, I smashed my fingers in between another set of dumbells that were already laying on the floor. (no, they were not mine). I ended up blowing the end of my finger almost completely off and had to have it sewed back on.
Oh my god, the same thing happened to me about 15 years ago!!! I was using 35s and my partner had 100's... you can guess what happened!!! :blink:

So I had to go to the hospital and I am pleading with them not to cut my new glove off... I ended up with a broken bone and the nail had been ripped out by the root, so I got three stiches in the nail bed (major pain when those puppies came out!) The doctor was not even sure I would grow a nail back...

and all these years I thought I was the only one!!

strongchick
06-13-2006, 05:10 PM
I got trapped under the bench bar once.

Wrenched my back to get out from under it.

Other than that, I did hurt my back DLing and had to take off a few months from any DL work. That sucked.

jaleena
06-13-2006, 06:53 PM
SC, if it happens again, push/roll the bar down to your hips, so you can stand up with it and put it on the floor :)

pavermama
06-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by wyochic@Jun 13 2006, 11:59 AM
Oh my god, the same thing happened to me about 15 years ago!!! I was using 35s and my partner had 100's... you can guess what happened!!! :blink:

So I had to go to the hospital and I am pleading with them not to cut my new glove off... I ended up with a broken bone and the nail had been ripped out by the root, so I got three stiches in the nail bed (major pain when those puppies came out!) The doctor was not even sure I would grow a nail back...

and all these years I thought I was the only one!!
When I went back to the gym (to get my things), I found my whole nail lying on the floor. It grew back fine, just a little bigger then the others. I had my finger sewed back on from the middle of my fingernail all the way around. I'm sure we're not the only ones this has happened to!!! (I hope not!) :lol:

wyochic
06-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by pavermama+Jun 13 2006, 06:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pavermama @ Jun 13 2006, 06:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-wyochic@Jun 13 2006, 11:59 AM
Oh my god, the same thing happened to me about 15 years ago&#33;&#33;&#33; I was using 35s and my partner had 100&#39;s... you can guess what happened&#33;&#33;&#33;* :blink:

So I had to go to the hospital and I am pleading with them not to cut my new glove off... I ended up with a broken bone and the nail had been ripped out by the root, so I got three stiches in the nail bed (major pain when those puppies came out&#33;) The doctor was not even sure I would grow a nail back...

and all these years I thought I was the only one&#33;&#33;
When I went back to the gym (to get my things), I found my whole nail lying on the floor. It grew back fine, just a little bigger then the others. I had my finger sewed back on from the middle of my fingernail all the way around. I&#39;m sure we&#39;re not the only ones this has happened to&#33;&#33;&#33; (I hope not&#33;) :lol: [/b][/quote]
Wow, never thought about what happened to it....

My nail grew back fine as well... I have an odd little scar in the nail bed though...

Michael_70
06-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by absolut_blonde@Jun 4 2006, 08:01 PM
Well, I haven&#39;t injured myself (knock on wood) but I did set a 20lb dumbbell down on my iPod&#39;s headphones awhile back and ruined the right one. At least is wasn&#39;t the iPod&#33;
Yup, I&#39;m surprised at how well my iPod is built as it&#39;s taken a quick trip off the eliptical about 15 times in the last 2 years but it keeps ticking..

Injuries so far, felt a snap to the left calf muscle about 3 weeks ago..hurt like :censor: to even walk so I&#39;ve had to "modify" my lower body workout which is a drag. It&#39;s getting better with foam rolling and stretching day after day.

sweetpea_123
06-16-2006, 10:22 PM
I was putting a preloaded bar back on a rack at the gym I use. It was only like 55 pounds, but I wasn&#39;t paying enough attention, and I smooshed my thumb under the bar where it met the rack. It hurt like hell. I got an ugly looking fingernail, with like a blood blister under the nail. It nice stylish look lasted a very long time. :oops: