PDA

View Full Version : Pendley Rows



michellebelle
06-04-2006, 09:58 PM
I know there was a link to the video for this at one time...but I looked through the sticky and even searched :o2: and can't find it.

Can anyone post it?

Thanks :)

Kristy
06-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I don't have a link to the vid, but here's a description and pics further down the page in this (http://www.midwestbarbell.com/totalelite/index.php?showtopic=498&st=20) thread.

PowerManDL
06-04-2006, 10:24 PM
It's not hard. Just a very strict-form barbell row.

It's almost like a deadlift for the upper back.

Leah
06-04-2006, 10:25 PM
T showed me this and I still can't get it. Somebody needs to video it :dry:

JackieRTP
06-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Dup

michellebelle
06-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Helpful thread, Kristy.

"keep in mind that i mean rows with the back pretty much parallel to the ground, bar touching the floor on each rep, little or preferably NO hip extension during the row, a pause on the floor if need be, and the reps pulled fast and explosively."

This may be a duh? question...but what does "hip extension" mean in this context? What would it feel/look like?

I want to make sure I do these right tomorrow.

quickie
06-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Don't pop your hips. Keep them pushed back.

PowerManDL
06-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by michellebelle@Jun 4 2006, 06:48 PM
This may be a duh? question...but what does "hip extension" mean in this context? What would it feel/look like?

I want to make sure I do these right tomorrow.
It means that you'd start to pull the torso upwards, away from parallel, by moving at the hips.

smuggie
06-05-2006, 12:18 AM
There is no vid for Pendlay rows.

michellebelle
06-05-2006, 01:17 AM
Hmmm. I wonder what video I am thinking of. Maybe I am just good at putting pictures together in my head really fast. :p

Dreamer
06-05-2006, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by michellebelle@Jun 4 2006, 09:17 PM
Hmmm. I wonder what video I am thinking of. Maybe I am just good at putting pictures together in my head really fast. :p


Maybe you can ask Thunder to do a video for you?? :p

michellebelle
06-05-2006, 04:25 AM
Now THERE'S an idea! :clap:

Oh, and I don't quite get the back extentions either....could you do a video of those for me as well?

Thanks, Thunder!

Dreamer
06-05-2006, 04:40 AM
If you get those videos, can you please send a copy to me. I really don't get the picture of HOW to make Pendley Row... :wacko:

Erik
06-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by michellebelle@Jun 5 2006, 12:25 AM
Now THERE'S an idea! :clap:

Oh, and I don't quite get the back extentions either....could you do a video of those for me as well?

Thanks, Thunder!
Back extensions? It's just a hyperextension.

Erik
06-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Dreamer@Jun 5 2006, 12:40 AM
If you get those videos, can you please send a copy to me. I really don't get the picture of HOW to make Pendley Row... :wacko:
It's just a barbell row from the floor. You pull from the floor on every rep and you keep the hips down.

DeeDee
06-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@Jun 5 2006, 08:09 AM
It's just a barbell row from the floor. You pull from the floor on every rep and you keep the hips down.
I totally get how to do these, but, if you can stand one more question...
is it recommended you use an overhand or underhand grip?

Erik
06-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by DeeDee@Jun 5 2006, 12:11 PM
I totally get how to do these, but, if you can stand one more question...
is it recommended you use an overhand or underhand grip?
I've never tried it underhand. As far as I know it's always been recommended as an overhand movement. Overhand rows tend to find you pulling higher up on the body than underhand rows. Given the dynamics of the movement, I'm not sure how an underhand grip would feel. I think I'll see what it feels like when I go train today.

smuggie
06-05-2006, 04:13 PM
I use a pronated grip, but I see no reason why you couldn't use a supinated grip.

DeeDee
06-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Thunder+Jun 5 2006, 11:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thunder @ Jun 5 2006, 11:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DeeDee@Jun 5 2006, 12:11 PM
I totally get how to do these, but, if you can stand one more question...
is it recommended you use an overhand or underhand grip?
I&#39;ve never tried it underhand. As far as I know it&#39;s always been recommended as an overhand movement. Overhand rows tend to find you pulling higher up on the body than underhand rows. Given the dynamics of the movement, I&#39;m not sure how an underhand grip would feel. I think I&#39;ll see what it feels like when I go train today. [/b][/quote]
Thanks&#33; :)

Dreamer
06-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@Jun 5 2006, 09:09 AM
It&#39;s just a barbell row from the floor. You pull from the floor on every rep and you keep the hips down.



Thanks, good info.

As it&#39;s my first time that I hear this here, what group of muscles this exercice target??

PowerManDL
06-05-2006, 05:39 PM
The back.

Cindy Day
06-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Is there anything wrong with a mixed grip on these? (or on CDLs?) I apoligize if this has been addressed elsewhere. I&#39;ve been doing pronated on the Pendley&#39;s and a mixed on CDLs.

Erik
06-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Liteweight@Jun 5 2006, 02:33 PM
Is there anything wrong with a mixed grip on these? (or on CDLs?) I apoligize if this has been addressed elsewhere. I&#39;ve been doing pronated on the Pendley&#39;s and a mixed on CDLs.
A mixed grip on a barbell row? :blink:

Freddie
06-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@Jun 5 2006, 01:34 PM
A mixed grip on a barbell row? :blink:
you&#39;d be surpised at how many people are doing that... :scratch:

Cindy Day
06-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@Jun 5 2006, 02:34 PM
A mixed grip on a barbell row? :blink:
I&#39;ll take that as a no, and leave mine the way I have been doing them. :laugh: I would like to understand what&#39;s not good about it though.

JJ29
06-05-2006, 10:33 PM
There is a hot guy at my gym that does this exercise... :drool: ....he uses an overhand grip. And he actually does them at a pretty fast tempo. Are they usually done at a fast tempo?

Erik
06-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by JJ29@Jun 5 2006, 06:33 PM
There is a hot guy at my gym that does this exercise... :drool: ....he uses an overhand grip. And he actually does them at a pretty fast tempo. Are they usually done at a fast tempo?
It&#39;s an explosive exercise. But I pause on the floor b/w reps.