PDA

View Full Version : Treadmill Question

Indhira001
06-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi,

I have a friend that is selling a Weslo treadmill for $100.00 it is in a good condition- but my husband is kind of reluctant to buy it because he claims it will consume a lot of electricity -

I workout with weights at home - and I do not really like to do a lot of cardio but I was thinking to do HIIT on the treadmill...

Question here is???

Have you notice an increase on your electric bill or you cannot tell - Help me out here please!!
Thank You!

amyloo
06-05-2006, 04:38 PM
I can't see that it would be a huge electricity guzzler unless you were using it for hours on end. HIIT, you're looking at maybe an hour max treadmill time PER WEEK?

One thing to check though, what's it's continuous horsepower, and how fast does it go? For HIIT, you'd probably need it to go to 12 MPH, depending on your fitness level. Most of the cheaper models I've seen only go to 10 MPH. I'm not sure if Weslo makes a higher end model or not, but it's definitely worth checking before you buy. Otherwise you end up like me, with a cheapo treadmill at home that you can only walk on! :lol:

Indhira001
06-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by amyloo@Jun 5 2006, 11:38 AM
I can't see that it would be a huge electricity guzzler unless you were using it for hours on end. HIIT, you're looking at maybe an hour max treadmill time PER WEEK?

One thing to check though, what's it's continuous horsepower, and how fast does it go? For HIIT, you'd probably need it to go to 12 MPH, depending on your fitness level. Most of the cheaper models I've seen only go to 10 MPH. I'm not sure if Weslo makes a higher end model or not, but it's definitely worth checking before you buy. Otherwise you end up like me, with a cheapo treadmill at home that you can only walk on! :lol:
Thank You Amyloo!

believe me -... I think I need something to start because I am out of shape - so I was thinking to start doing HIIT at home without someone looking at me with weird face....

I think I will give it a try..

Lydia
06-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi! I have a treadmill at home - $100 sounds too good to be true. Check to make sure the HP is at least in the 250 range and does it have electric or manual incline? The manual incline would be a total pain in the ass - you have to get off to lift the front end and put it on a little shelf. Also take notice of the width of the track - the wider the better for comfort and not feeling like if you stray a little left or right you will fall off, (which is extremely likely to happen when dying doing HIIT).

As for the electricity - silly!! As the other poster said, you'd have to be on in 24-7 to see a difference!

pavermama
06-06-2006, 01:21 PM
I just got a Weslo Cadence treadmill for $100.00. It serves it's purpose until I can afford a new one. I only do Hiit on it. It doesn't go as fast as I'd like but like I said, it's fine for now. Haven't noticed any difference in my electric bill.

Erik
06-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by pavermama@Jun 6 2006, 09:21 AM
I just got a Weslo Cadence treadmill for $100.00. It serves it's purpose until I can afford a new one. I only do Hiit on it. It doesn't go as fast as I'd like but like I said, it's fine for now. Haven't noticed any difference in my electric bill.
You could also just take your HIIT outside where it will really kick your ass.

Indhira001
06-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi all,

Thank you! - I will give it a try!! :oops:

jmrut22
06-08-2006, 09:19 PM
I have a LANDICE and I dont even notice the electric bill. However, please do your research before buying a treadmill. Depends on what you are going to do with it. Most of the cheaper ones are for walking- thats it. If you are going to use it to run, at least 4 days per week or more, get a running treadmill that will stand up to the test over time. I researched them for weeks before I settled with a landice.

I think there is a website called treadmilldoctor.com or something like that it will really help you.

ladypilot
06-09-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't notice an increase on the electric bill. I just can't run the a/c or the dehumidifier at the same time because they are on the same circuit!

DAS
06-12-2006, 12:59 AM
I also have not seen any difference in electricity bills with my treadmill...it is very nice to have at home on the rainy or cold days!

pavermama
06-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Thunder@Jun 6 2006, 08:22 AM
You could also just take your HIIT outside where it will really kick your ass.
I have yet to try this. I know it would kick my ass but I would sooooo love it. I have 2 little ones and I can't get too far away from my house. I have 2 acres to make up some type of hiit, but just haven't tried it yet! :thunder:

Strive2Define
06-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by pavermama@Jun 6 2006, 09:21 AM
This is what I have at home and it has serviced me well but I hadn't been using it much over the last year because I was just using the treads at the gym after lifting but lately I have started doing more HIIT at home due to time constraints...man, I don't know if it is just my imagination or if my body has just adjusted to the nice commercial grade treadies at the gym but this things kicks my behind everytime...I can go slower than I do at the gym and it feels like I am working so much harder..anyone else have this experience w/ different treadies?

missfitlissa
06-12-2006, 07:53 PM
I have one at home- I really don't notice a diff in the electricity bill as mine is mostly used for hanging my clothes on :oops: I thought it was a great idea at the time- would really cut down on going out in the cold at 5:30 am to go to the gym for am cardio, but then spring came and I didnt mind getting up to hit the gym in the am!! In the winter though- it is such a life saver!

paramedic
06-13-2006, 09:42 PM
I don't see a change in my electric bill.

Than again maybe I should turn it on. :funny: Just kidding.

kikid419
06-14-2006, 12:37 AM
You definately do not notice any difference in electricity. It's something great to have at home, especially on the days you just don't feel like getting dressed and going to the gym. :train:

Indhira001
06-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Thank you all for all your replies!!!

I will get the treadmill this weekend and start working on it- specially that I like to do my cardio sesions early in the morning

Thanks!