PDA

View Full Version : Hello and intro

jasrich
11-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Hi my name is Jason. I was referred here by a friend from one of the Yahoo health groups. I'm 42 and I've been weight training since I was a teenager. I only have time to go to the gym 3 days/week so I am looking for ways to optimize my work-outs. I currently train 2 or 3 muscles for 2-3 work-outs in a row with 48-72hrs in between work-outs. I'm really not building any strength or mass or even much endurance this way although I have gotten more cut. Some friends, including my friend who is a member here, have suggested going to a shorter full-body work-out that targets the big muscles and forget about the isolation work until/unless I have more time. I was hoping to get some advice about how to structure that work-out. I also have some chronic health issues to work around.

Thanks,

Jason

Blondell
11-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Welcome, Jason.

Your health isuues may help determine how to set something up to meet your needs. Do you mind letting us know what they are? I understand if you don't wanna post it here. What is your current goal? :)

Inatic
11-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Welcome Jason!

Im glad you signed up here.. Jason and I participate on the same yahoo thyroid group.

Fill us in on the time and health contraints..

jasrich
11-21-2009, 04:38 AM
I can only get to the gym 3 days/week, 4 days at most. I'm usually there for an hour to an hour and a half but I would love to get it closer to an hour. My health concerns are mostly hormone related - I've got Graves disease and Hashimotos which means that I'm usually hypothyroid although I swing hyper sometimes. I'm also probably somewhat hypoadrenal. When I exert myself too much I often get dizzy and have other symptoms, sometimes into the next day including just feeling wiped out the next day. I can usually get through 20-30 minutes of fairly intense cardio, 15 minutes of abs and low back and stretching, and 30-40 minutes of weight training without too much trouble but I have often started feeling dizzy during the weight training. Ileen told me to cut down on the cardio before weight training, especially on legs day, which helped a lot. My current goal is to phase in a whole body work-out that I can do 3-4x/week that doesn't push me beyond my physical limits, but that helps me build some strength and endurance.

Thanks,

Jason

Cathie
11-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Welcome Jason! :wave:

If you want to cut down the time in the gym, instead of doing a full body workout, you could do an upper/lower split. For 3 training days a week you could go upper-lower-upper one week and then lower-upper-lower the next and so on.

Inatic
11-21-2009, 01:26 PM
fatloss is not a goal, correct?

how many reps/sets were you doing?

Rep ranges.

Did you see/consider the full body we have here (in the training section sticky) as a start?

jasrich
11-22-2009, 12:27 AM
fatloss is not a goal, correct?

how many reps/sets were you doing?

Rep ranges.

Did you see/consider the full body we have here (in the training section sticky) as a start?

Nope, no fat loss necessary.

I've been doing 2 sets of 10-12 reps of each exercise (no time for 3 sets). I use pretty all much machines but I use dumbbells for things like curls to end my work-out. I'll check out the full body work-out in the sticky (couldn't follow the link that you sent me the other day because my membership had not been approved yet).

Tx.