PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna slap someone

Feather
06-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Ok, I know I'm not the normal person who hates cardio. I have tried only doing 0-2 sessions a week of ss cardio (20-30 minutes) but I miss it and I'm becoming irritable and aggressive. :curse:
Before I started lifting I spent 1-2 hours a morning on cardio (treadmill at an incline, rowing, cross country skiing, step with leg lifts, etc) never the same thing two days in a row.
So my question is how much cardio can you get away with cause not doing it is not working for me, I'm gonna end up killing someone. :censor: Can I use cardio as my leg workouts and then just do weights for upper body. I'm at a loss and I need help with how to structure things from this point.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

amyloo
06-06-2006, 02:24 PM
I guess it depends on what your individual goals are. I don't "love" cardio, but I do find it's a great stress relief. I add it in to my regular workouts on those days I really need it. But I wouldn't give up lower body lifting completely, IMO. I think there is happy medium that may be different for each person. For me, it's cardio 2-3 times per week (more when I'm moody :lol: ) and lifting 4 times per week. I say do what keeps you sane.

Sarah
06-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by amyloo@Jun 6 2006, 09:24 AM
I guess it depends on what your individual goals are. I don't "love" cardio, but I do find it's a great stress relief. I add it in to my regular workouts on those days I really need it. But I wouldn't give up lower body lifting completely, IMO. I think there is happy medium that may be different for each person. For me, it's cardio 2-3 times per week (more when I'm moody :lol: ) and lifting 4 times per week. I say do what keeps you sane.
DITTO that. I use it for "thinking" time. I also end up doing a lot of cardio when I travel. Entertains me. Hotels in little town are boring.

Lots of work related stress lately = extra cardio.

Feather
06-06-2006, 02:29 PM
I knew I was a little more grouchy with just the lifting. But my hubby, who is always supportive, actually said to me "maybe lifting just isn't for you, your not happy so why not do what keeps you happy?" He never says anything negative, so I really had to stop and think.
I don't want to quit lifting all together, I just need to incorporate the right amount of cardio to make me feel good again. :)

I'm not looking to compete or anything, I definitely have some fat to lose (5'41/2 ", 164 lbs, @119 LBM)

Feather
06-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by amyloo@Jun 6 2006, 09:24 AM
For me, it's cardio 2-3 times per week (more when I'm moody :lol: ) and lifting 4 times per week. I say do what keeps you sane.
thank you. At least I'm not alone. :lol:

Feather
06-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by kiwi@Jun 6 2006, 09:27 AM
DITTO that. I use it for "thinking" time. I also end up doing a lot of cardio when I travel. Entertains me. Hotels in little town are boring.

Lots of work related stress lately = extra cardio.
Cardio is definitely my stress relief and "thinking time" as you put it.

liberty
06-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Sorry ladies, I don't get it :unsure: Are you not lifting heavy enough to get the same endorphin release that you get from cardio? I used to run everyday-long ago and yah the endorphins were fun but I find pushing heavy weights much more of a stress release. Don't you feel like shoving something/someone heavy when you are stressed? Are you having to think too much about your routine to let your brain have me time? Enlighten me cause I do not understand :)
C

jaleena
06-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Well, I can't really explain the pro-cardio position, because that's not me, but...lifting doesn't help when I'm upset/stressed. I don't lift as well when I don't feel well, which just makes me feel worse. And to make it worse, I don't want to shove anything, I want to crawl under a rock...like the opposite of going to the gym and lifting. And I lift heavy, but no endorphin rush...sometimes I can't really see after a heavy lift, but that only lasts a few seconds, and doesn't happen all that often.
A long walk sometimes helps me calm down, gives me a distraction that's not too taxing and not performance-oriented.

Feather
06-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by liberty@Jun 6 2006, 11:00 AM
Sorry ladies, I don't get it :unsure: Are you not lifting heavy enough to get the same endorphin release that you get from cardio? I used to run everyday-long ago and yah the endorphins were fun but I find pushing heavy weights much more of a stress release. Don't you feel like shoving something/someone heavy when you are stressed? Are you having to think too much about your routine to let your brain have me time? Enlighten me cause I do not understand :)
C
Ok, for me. After cardio I feel like taz on speed, I'm revved up and ready to go with tons of energy, it's like being reenergized. After lifting all I want to do is crawl up the stairs and into bed and sleep the rest of the day (no energy and feeling like crap).

Feather
06-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by jaleena@Jun 6 2006, 11:05 AM
...lifting doesn't help when I'm upset/stressed. I don't lift as well when I don't feel well, which just makes me feel worse. And to make it worse, I don't want to shove anything, I want to crawl under a rock...like the opposite of going to the gym and lifting. And I lift heavy, but no endorphin rush
Same here. No endorphin rush. I work up a good sweat but it's nothing close to cardio.

amyloo
06-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Feather+Jun 6 2006, 11:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Feather @ Jun 6 2006, 11:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-liberty@Jun 6 2006, 11:00 AM
Sorry ladies, I don&#39;t get it :unsure: Are you not lifting heavy enough to get the same endorphin release that you get from cardio? I used to run everyday-long ago and yah the endorphins were fun but I find pushing heavy weights much more of a stress release. Don&#39;t you feel like shoving something/someone heavy when you are stressed? Are you having to think too much about your routine to let your brain have me time? Enlighten me cause I do not understand :)
C
Ok, for me. After cardio I feel like taz on speed, I&#39;m revved up and ready to go with tons of energy, it&#39;s like being reenergized. After lifting all I want to do is crawl up the stairs and into bed and sleep the rest of the day (no energy and feeling like crap). [/b][/quote]
Yep, me too. I don&#39;t feel great after lifting, in fact, I sometimes feel nauseous after lifting. Do I lift heavy? Yeah, somewhat. When I lift I focus very hard on my form and counting my tempo and reps. So I don&#39;t get to zone out as much as I do with cardio. I can run, run, run while listening to "angry" music on the Ipod. Generally by the time I&#39;m done I&#39;ve forgotten what I&#39;m stressed about in the first place. Very mind-numbing. And it zaps my appetite. Lifting heavy makes me ravenous, especially on a hard leg day.

Feather
06-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by amyloo+Jun 6 2006, 11:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (amyloo @ Jun 6 2006, 11:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Feather@Jun 6 2006, 11:07 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-liberty@Jun 6 2006, 11:00 AM
Sorry ladies, I don&#39;t get it :unsure:* Are you not lifting heavy enough to get the same endorphin release that you get from cardio? I used to run everyday-long ago and yah the endorphins were fun but I find pushing heavy weights much more of a stress release. Don&#39;t you feel like shoving something/someone heavy when you are stressed? Are you having to think too much about your routine to let your brain have me time? Enlighten me cause I do not understand :)
C
Ok, for me. After cardio I feel like taz on speed, I&#39;m revved up and ready to go with tons of energy, it&#39;s like being reenergized. After lifting all I want to do is crawl up the stairs and into bed and sleep the rest of the day (no energy and feeling like crap).
Yep, me too. I don&#39;t feel great after lifting, in fact, I sometimes feel nauseous after lifting. Do I lift heavy? Yeah, somewhat. When I lift I focus very hard on my form and counting my tempo and reps. So I don&#39;t get to zone out as much as I do with cardio. I can run, run, run while listening to "angry" music on the Ipod. Generally by the time I&#39;m done I&#39;ve forgotten what I&#39;m stressed about in the first place. Very mind-numbing. And it zaps my appetite. Lifting heavy makes me ravenous, especially on a hard leg day. [/b][/quote]
Me Too :clap: I&#39;m not as different as I thought then.

Hoochiemomma
06-06-2006, 04:24 PM
I also don&#39;t hate cardio and find it a great stress relief, but I have personally noticed a lot more leg muscle (nice and firm) since I have incorporated a heavy leg lifting so I don&#39;t think its a good idea to use cardio as your leg workout.

Ashes41
06-06-2006, 05:50 PM
As Amyloo said, you just have to find a happy medium.... and it might also be about changing your thinking related to lifting. For me, I know that for a long time I thought about lifting as something I "had to do" to get the body that I want, whereas running was something I enjoyed doing...

And slowly but surely I&#39;m changing my thinking, it makes lifting more enjoyable now. :)

Oh and the hunger thing... I don&#39;t know about anyone else, but once I finally get in my PP and rice cakes as my PWO meal I don&#39;t want to eat anymore, there is enought volume with the rice cakes to fill me up.

Sarah
06-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Sorry ladies, I don&#39;t get it :unsure: Are you not lifting heavy enough to get the same endorphin release that you get from cardio? I used to run everyday-long ago and yah the endorphins were fun but I find pushing heavy weights much more of a stress release. Don&#39;t you feel like shoving something/someone heavy when you are stressed? Are you having to think too much about your routine to let your brain have me time? Enlighten me cause I do not understand :)
C
when i&#39;m lifting - i have to think about what i&#39;m doing or i&#39;ll hurt myself. when i&#39;m doing cardio i can go on auto-pilot. don&#39;t have to think about what i&#39;m doing and can think.

JJ29
06-06-2006, 09:46 PM
I know where you all are coming from...i used to feel the same way. If i didn&#39;t start the day with cardio then I felt out of sorts. However, ever since I started working with Thunder, I really don&#39;t crave the cardio at all. In fact, I feel an even better pump from my training sessions then I ever did with my cardio&#33;

gettingstronger
06-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Feather,

Have you tried lower body workouts with heavy weights? I think you will find positive results with weighted exercises such as squats, lunges, etc. In my personal experience, these types of exercises help to build muscle and change the shape of your legs, while using only cardio for your lower body workouts will only make your legs somewhat smaller. Ideally, I try to do 2 lower body workouts per week (weights), and 2 HIIT cardio sessions, with possibly 1 ss cardio session.
Hope this is of some help&#33;

Feather
06-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by gettingstronger@Jun 6 2006, 04:56 PM
Feather,

Have you tried lower body workouts with heavy weights? I think you will find positive results with weighted exercises such as squats, lunges, etc. In my personal experience, these types of exercises help to build muscle and change the shape of your legs, while using only cardio for your lower body workouts will only make your legs somewhat smaller. Ideally, I try to do 2 lower body workouts per week (weights), and 2 HIIT cardio sessions, with possibly 1 ss cardio session.
Hope this is of some help&#33;
I do a full body routine with weights, 3 days a week. I like weights but it just doesn&#39;t deliver the same high as cardio.
I&#39;m not going to quit lifting (although I have run into the problem of my grip not being strong enough to hold the heavy amounts I need, so I&#39;ll be investing in some more equipment when I&#39;m done researching how to chose what I&#39;ll need to keep progressing, read something about straps somewhere and need to look into it) I&#39;m also thinking about changing my weight routine (not less just different).
I guess I just wondered how much cardio is ok (ballpark, I know everyone is different) to keep my sanity and reduce stress without making my body decline physically?
I&#39;d love to do 30 minutes of ss cardio 5 mornings a week and then lift 3-4 nights a week. :)

tea
06-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I don&#39;t have any answers for you, but just wanted to say that I understand how you feel&#33; I used to do ridiculous amounts of cardio - I don&#39;t anymore, but I just really enjoyed going for long runs. I&#39;m interested what the answer of your question is too...

Feather
06-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by gettingstronger@Jun 6 2006, 04:56 PM
while using only cardio for your lower body workouts will only make your legs somewhat smaller.
Actually I would love to have smaller legs :clap: Right now my calves measure in at about 17 1/4 inches :sad: they are solid but being a short person this is not good, they look like tree trunks

Fet
06-07-2006, 12:38 AM
I get the biggest rush from the 30min ss cardio I do right after my weights. For some reason I don&#39;t get the same "happy rush" from ss cardio done "cold" on a non-lifting day. Nor do I get to my Happy Place doing HIIT (or vomHIIT, as I&#39;ve come to call it).

Feather
06-07-2006, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by FetQueen@Jun 6 2006, 07:38 PM
(or vomHIIT, as I&#39;ve come to call it).
:lol:

GqArtguy
06-07-2006, 04:10 AM
Use that extra aggression on the weights.

If you want some extra cardio, walk to the gym ;)

Feather
06-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by GqArtguy@Jun 6 2006, 11:10 PM
Use that extra aggression on the weights.

If you want some extra cardio, walk to the gym ;)
I walk there everyday, it&#39;s called the basement. :lol: I workout at home, but that is good advice, thank you. Maybe I&#39;ll walk the dog more often.

velvet
06-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Yes, a nice leisurely walk does the trick for me. I feel the same as the ladies in this thread. Usually, after work, I&#39;ll hit one of the nature trails in my area for a peaceful 45 - 60 min walk..at an easy pace so that my body can still recover while my mind gets the peace and serenity it graves.

BronzedGoddess
06-08-2006, 05:24 PM
C
They are nothing alike for me. If I have anxious energy cardio is better for me because it&#39;s rhythmic(sp). Agressive energy, weights work better for that.

Feather- my opinion is, life is too short to do something that makes you unhappy. You will probably quit if you aren&#39;t having fun.