PDA

View Full Version : How many days of cardio for fat loss?

tanyab
06-06-2006, 08:39 PM
How many days of days of cardio is ideal for fat loss?

How long per session?

Any input is appreciated :)

Erik
06-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by tanyab@Jun 6 2006, 04:39 PM
How many days of days of cardio is ideal for fat loss?

How long per session?

Any input is appreciated :)
This is far too vague a question for there to be one cookie cutter answer.

Points.

1. Cardio is an 'adjunct therapy'. Most of your progress and attempt at progress should come via nutrition. If progress stalls, look to your diet first and make some adjustments. Don't automatically think you have to do more cardio.

2. The goal should be to lose the most fat with the least amount of cardio necessary to do so.

3. Lighter individuals will likely have to do more cardio otherwise to create an appropriate caloric deficit their caloric intake will be painfully low.

4. To give a ballpark answer, I don't see many cases for having to do more than 4 days a week for the average person with average goals. If opting for SS cardio, which doesn't need to be fasted by the way, somewhere b/w 30-45 mins is a good ballpark. If opting for HIIT, your work period is probably not going to be more than 12-18 minutes.

5. So, again ballpark, maybe 1-2 HIIT workouts and 2-3 lower intensity workouts should be a good 'starting point'.

tanyab
06-06-2006, 08:51 PM
thanks. I was just looking for a starting point.

On training days do you do HITT or SS cardio or none on weight days?

Erik
06-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by tanyab@Jun 6 2006, 04:51 PM
thanks. I was just looking for a starting point.

On training days do you do HITT or SS cardio or none on weight days?
Again, there is no one size fits all answer here. It depends on the design and set up of the rest of the program.

There's many ways to set it up.

tanyab
06-06-2006, 08:56 PM
I just started your 3 day FB workout this week.

I thought I could

M- off

T- FB/HITT

W- SS

TH-FB

F- SS

Sat-FB/HITT

Sun-SS

Thoughts?

krispy1138
06-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by tanyab@Jun 6 2006, 02:56 PM
I just started your 3 day FB workout this week.

I thought I could

M- off

T- FB/HITT

W- SS

TH-FB

F- SS

Sat-FB/HITT

Sun-SS

Thoughts?
Personally, I would switch the SS cardio to the training days and have the HIIT on Wed. and Fri.

Erik
06-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by krispy1138@Jun 6 2006, 05:13 PM
Personally, I would switch the SS cardio to the training days and have the HIIT on Wed. and Fri.
Reason being?

krispy1138
06-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@Jun 6 2006, 03:14 PM
Reason being?
Because it's been said on here numerous times that it is preferable to do HIIT on a day you are not training legs (also it is okay to split them into different sessions on the same day).

I don't know - maybe that's changed. :shrug:

Erik
06-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by krispy1138@Jun 6 2006, 05:16 PM
Because it's been said on here numerous times that it is preferable to do HIIT on a day you are not training legs (also it is okay to split them into different sessions on the same day).

I don't know - maybe that's changed. :shrug:
There's plenty of ways of structuring it.

Lately, I've been partial to having them on leg days but in a separate training session so that the lower body gets more complete rest days during the week. But that's just one approach.