PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my 4day split

Fet
06-07-2006, 03:04 AM
OkÖdeep breathÖinto the lionís den. I've read all the stickies, this is what I've put togther:

Iíve been working out for approx 4 months, but the first 2 donít count cuz I didnít know shit. (maybe I still donít?), so lets say 2 months. Iíve been doing a 4-day horizontal/vertical split for about 4wks, and I really enjoy it, as the planes of motion make ďsenseĒ for me, and Iím more focused when I ďunderstandĒ what Iím doing and why.

I work on abs twice per week, (one day linear and the other day rotation-based). I also do some shoulder rehab; rotator cuff issues, and a little bit of isolation work. I do 2 ss cardios on leg days, and 1-2 HIIT on non-leg days.

Critique: Too much? Too little? Switch it up now? What's the best way for me to tackle periodizing this routine (or what's left of it when this is done....)? Am I hitting all the right areas? Note: I've been doing a Day 1, 2, 1, 4 rotation for the past 3 weeks, as I have shoulder issues, so nothing above shoulder level. I should be cleared for takeoff this week, so I will work my Day3 back in. That's the day I'm shakiest about.

Day 1 Ėupper horizontal push/pull
DB rows 4x6
DB bench press 4x6
BB row 4x6
Incline DB Flyes 3x 8

Bicep work - 3x8
Hanging Knee raise 3x8
Cable Crunches 3x8

Day 2 Ė quad dominant
Full Squats 4x6
Hack Squats 4x6
Leg Press 4x6
Leg Extension 3x8

Seated Calf Raises 3x8
+Rotator cuff rehab

Day 3 Ė upper vertical push/pull
Lat pulldown 4x6
Upright rows 4x6
Lateral raise 3x8
Straight arm pulldowns 3x8

Tricep work - 3x8
Russian twists 3x10

Day 4 Ė hip dominant
SLDL 4x6
Sumo DL 4x6
GMís 4x6
Leg Curls 3x8
Standing calf raises 3x8
+Rotator cuff rehab

Erik
06-07-2006, 03:08 AM
I was just about to reply, but I see Matt in this thread, so I'll let him take it. :lol:

In short, too much, especially the lower body.

PowerManDL
06-07-2006, 03:10 AM
The two things that stick out to me, in order of importance:

On day 4, you're going to kill yourself with all that low-back work. SLDL, sumo DL, and GMs is a bit much. Take out either the SLDL or GM and bring the other into a higher rep range.

Second, and less important...you may want to do similar on day 2. 4x6 for a lot of exercises there.

Fet
06-07-2006, 03:13 AM
Noooo! I don't think I'm ready for Matt!! I's scared!!
Kidding, bring it on.

Re: the legs - I've just started doing BB stuff instead of all DB stuff, and I'm still a little leery, so I'm doing the squat and DL stuff a little lighter than I'm eventually aiming for, trying to get comfortable with the form. So I figured lighter + more exercised, until I feel comfortable going heavier.

Fet
06-07-2006, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@Jun 6 2006, 10:10 PM

On day 4, you're going to kill yourself with all that low-back work. SLDL, sumo DL, and GMs is a bit much. Take out either the SLDL or GM and bring the other into a higher rep range.

Second, and less important...you may want to do similar on day 2. 4x6 for a lot of exercises there.
Ok, I think I'm ready to go heavier on the lower days, so I'll drop the GM's and raise the reps on the sumos. Ditto for the squat day.

Thanks guys! Wow, hard to believe you would have advice on training wimmen's legs! :p

GqArtguy
06-07-2006, 03:52 AM
Please go into more detail about your shoulder. If you have rotator cuff issues, I would ditch the upright row and make sure that the delt raises are along the scapular plane. Additionally, I would do a decline bench instead of a flat bench to take the stress off the shoulders, but then again, if you have something serious, you probably shouldnt be pressing at all.

Do you bench with your elbows flared like BBers?

Also, if you cant go above shoulder level, while you using a pulldown?

Fet
06-07-2006, 12:19 PM
I have skipped my Day3 routine while in physio, so I havent been doing any pulldowns for the past 3 weeks. We are slowly testing what I can do, and I think I'm pretty close to getting the green light to start up again. So the workout, as posted, is not exactly what I've been doing this month, but what I hope to work up to.

I have the ok to do chest presses, but not shoulder presses, or Arnies, that type of thing. I should mention that altho I don't know the technical term for what's wrong with my shoulder, it isn't the "typical" rotator cuff issues. It's someless less serious, and, according to the PT, fixable.

So that's why I'm most concerned about my selection for exercises on Day 3 - I'm out of practice!

smuggie
06-08-2006, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by FetQueen+Jun 6 2006, 11:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FetQueen @ Jun 6 2006, 11:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PowerManDL@Jun 6 2006, 10:10 PM

On day 4, you&#39;re going to kill yourself with all that low-back work. SLDL, sumo DL, and GMs is a bit much. Take out either the SLDL or GM and bring the other into a higher rep range.

Ok, I think I&#39;m ready to go heavier on the lower days, so I&#39;ll drop the GM&#39;s and raise the reps on the sumos. Ditto for the squat day.

Thanks guys&#33; Wow, hard to believe you would have advice on training wimmen&#39;s legs&#33; :p [/b][/quote]
Personally, I wouldn&#39;t do SLDLs and sumos in the same workout. But if you want to keep it like that I suggest you raise the reps on the SLDLs instead of the sumos.

And I second Matt on the too-much-4 x 6 thing.

GqArtguy
06-08-2006, 01:51 AM
I would post exactly whats up with your shoulder, otherwise you might be doing something thats not conducive toward your recovery. Im not a PT, but Id have to fix a lot of BS caused by them.

Fet
06-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by smuggie+Jun 7 2006, 07:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (smuggie @ Jun 7 2006, 07:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by FetQueen@Jun 6 2006, 11:19 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-PowerManDL@Jun 6 2006, 10:10 PM

On day 4, you&#39;re going to kill yourself with all that low-back work. SLDL, sumo DL, and GMs is a bit much. Take out either the SLDL or GM and bring the other into a higher rep range.

Ok, I think I&#39;m ready to go heavier on the lower days, so I&#39;ll drop the GM&#39;s and raise the reps on the sumos. Ditto for the squat day.

Thanks guys&#33; Wow, hard to believe you would have advice on training wimmen&#39;s legs&#33; :p
Personally, I wouldn&#39;t do SLDLs and sumos in the same workout. But if you want to keep it like that I suggest you raise the reps on the SLDLs instead of the sumos.

And I second Matt on the too-much-4 x 6 thing. [/b][/quote]
Can I ask, why raise the reps on the SLDL&#39;s, as opposed to the sumo&#39;s?

When you say too much on the 4x6 thing, do you mean too many exercises done at that rep rate, or too many exercises - period?

I haven&#39;t felt overtaxed in the least with this routine, so obviously I&#39;m not going heavy enough. I need to ramp it up, I guess.

Erik
06-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Can I ask, why raise the reps on the SLDL&#39;s, as opposed to the sumo&#39;s?

Sumos lend themselves well to heavy loading. Doing too many reps on a conventional or sumo deadlift I find can result in technique breakdown. With the RDLs, it&#39;s not so much an issue

When you say too much on the 4x6 thing, do you mean too many exercises done at that rep rate, or too many exercises - period?

Both; especially your lower body days. It&#39;s excessive.

Fet
06-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by GqArtguy@Jun 7 2006, 08:51 PM
I would post exactly whats up with your shoulder, otherwise you might be doing something thats not conducive toward your recovery. Im not a PT, but Id have to fix a lot of BS caused by them.
Had an appt this morning - still didn&#39;t get a decent technical description, but that&#39;s my fault, not his. I know that my injury isn&#39;t a "typical" rotator cuff injury, because during my assesment, he was training a co-op student, and he was explaining to her in great detail what he was looking for, and what he was not finding. Took him a while to find my particular problem.

Sounds like my shoulder is trying to "dislocate" itself, but only at ONE very specific angle. The rest is peachy. (I know I&#39;m not explaining this very well...)

In short, I&#39;ve been cleared for all horizontal push/pull stuff. I can do DLs, BB rows, bent and upright, DB rows, shrugs, and today I was cleared for low-weight front raises and side raises. Next week we&#39;ll start going above shoulder level with some arnies or shoulder presses, but again, at low weights to start. My rehab exercised have stregthened what was too weak before, and he&#39;s ready to let me try more.