PDA

View Full Version : Damn women's gyms...

strongchick
06-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Vent session...

I've been considering switching gyms. Why? I admit that I really like my current one...its a basement gym, independently owned, lots of free weights and lots of room for them, squat rack, power cage...the only thing they're missing is a glute-ham (sigh). It also isn't a 'pretty person' gym...people are there to WORK. There is a limited number of cardio stuff, but enough. Some nautilis for those who are into that as well. A good gym, and for Boston a good rate.

But since I"m thinking of TTC'ing, I got the idea that finding a gym with more 'girly' classes may be helpful. One of the women only gyms in the area has prenatal yoga, blah blah, as well as all the typical girl classes (you know, the ones with the horrific names). But it also has boxing (!!!) and a rock climbing gym (!!), which appealed to me.

So I went to check it out. My main question: do they have enough free weights (i.e. squat rack and/or power cage).

OMG. The place REEKED of estrogen. I admit that it was a beautiful building. And had all the girly stuff you could ever imagine... saunas, whirlpools, spas, cafe, internet cafe, massage, a locker room that smells GOOD, etc. Holy crap. Very touchy-feely.

I get the tour and she finally takes me to the weight area. No squat rack or power cage. But there IS a Smith machine!! So I ask her (she's one of the managers) if they have a squat machine or power cage.

Its a really bad sign when the manager of a gym doesn't know what those are.

So I ask someone behind the desk, who I hope is NOT a trainer, because her response was equal puzzlement. She points to the Smitch machine, and rather than informing her of all the ways the Smitch SUCKS, I just said no, I meant a squat rack.

"You want to do it with free weights?"
"Yes"
(confused look)
"Well, can you use the regular bar?" (pointing to the olympic bar on the bench press)
"Well, yes, but how do I get it on my back?"
(confused silence on her part)
"This is all we have"

WTF?

I'm really not that surprised, but its upsetting how...GIRLY this gym was. So much cardio stuff, tons of nautilis (and you bet they had the yes/no machines), but hardly ANY free weights of any decent weight.

Oh, but they had movies, and high-def TV screens, and massages.

Sigh.

Tina
06-07-2006, 01:06 PM
I totally understand where you are coming from. I wanted to go to a 'girly' gym because I didn't want to workout with the sweaty stare at you when you're working out guys. :rolleyes:

When I tried out the woman's gym in my area I was very dissapointed. And they charged more! :mad:

Feather
06-07-2006, 01:06 PM
I hear ya. This is why I workout at home (I know not everyone can but it's why I do) I can't stand super girly stuff.
I have a hard time understanding the women at these places, I always run into the ones that have spent $150 on their workout outfit and don't want to get sweat on it. :sad:

christie
06-07-2006, 01:09 PM
I sent an email to the girly gym in the area asking if they had a squat rack or power cage and how high the dumbbells went to. The company I work for gets a discount so I thought why not. Well I didn't get an answer :lol: Left it at that and signed up at another gym. They could have just missed the email but something tells me they didn't :lol:

Tina
06-07-2006, 01:12 PM
There's also a "woman's fitness centre" in the same building where my husband works. I peaked inside and they didn't have ANY weights. Just cardio equipment and balls and mini trampolines. :dry:

Angelkae
06-07-2006, 01:29 PM
That is so geigh.

northernstar
06-07-2006, 01:31 PM
I hear ya.
I switched from a women's only to a much larger (and more expensive) gym. The women's only had NOTHING in it... tons of pretty pink dumbbells, but no real weights. That is really, really bad when a gym owner doesn't know what power cage is. Not even because they're clueless about training, but they're also clearly clueless about gym equipment!

cocoa71
06-07-2006, 02:23 PM
I guess there are good Womens' only gyms and bad ones. I go to a womens gym but they do have a rack and plenty of free weights. They also have a lot of cardio machines but, that will keep the other women busy while I'm doing weights so I never have to wait for a bench or specific weight I'm looking for.....the only thing I can't stand is some of the women travel around with the spray sanitizer's...I dislike having to walk around looking for them whereas there are shelves for them all around the gym! :mad:

ShaliHead
06-07-2006, 03:00 PM
I think a woman only gym would drive me cuckoo.

Lynny
06-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Man that stinks. I refuse to have a membership at a place like that.

FabulouslyFit
06-07-2006, 05:38 PM
:curse: My gym just took out the squat rack and replaced it with a smith machine ! I was complaining to a "certified " personal trainer about it. She said, "well this one is much better becouse its easier to do squats on." I tried to explain to her that smith machines were bad. She replied "Still, I like this one becouse its new." :blink: Oh my.

So, I asked the manager of the gym if it was possible to get the squat rack back. She told me to talk to the maintenance guy about it becouse its in storage. :sad:

amyloo
06-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by FabulouslyFit@Jun 7 2006, 12:38 PM
:curse: My gym just took out the squat rack and replaced it with a smith machine ! I was complaining to a "certified " personal trainer about it. She said, "well this one is much better becouse its easier to do squats on." I tried to explain to her that smith machines were bad. She replied "Still, I like this one becouse its new." :blink: Oh my.

So, I asked the manager of the gym if it was possible to get the squat rack back. She told me to talk to the maintenance guy about it becouse its in storage. :sad:
Maybe my gym can buy it from your gym since they aren't using it! :lol:
We don't have one either, and I KNOW the girls at the front desk have no clue what they are.

janey
06-07-2006, 07:01 PM
I go to a lady gym and am fortunate to have a squat rack.....all to myself. I've contemplated switching because their weekend hours are ghey but I just worry about losing my own personal squat rack.

I am the heaviest lifter at my gym...and I've only been lifting for a year so that tells you something about the women at my gym.

I worry one day that it will be gone and I will be left with the Smith. I wouldn't hesitate to leave then.

ShaliHead
06-07-2006, 07:32 PM
I am the only girl in my gym. Yet I never see anyone use the squat rack.

Angelkae
06-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Confessions of a n00bie....

I don't use the squat rack... I just lift the weight over my head and rest it on my shoulders... lol... Of course it's only 70 pounds so it's not a big deal.

I will be using the squat rack in the future, though. I don't know how much weight I could lift over my head... lol.

LexyJoie
06-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Sarah - I think I am familiar with the gym to which you refer. My mother works out there. The locker rooms are gorg. The cardio equipment is pristine. The weight area just blows.

JJ29
06-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Would it be possible for you to keep your gym but maybe sign up somewhere else for the yoga etc classes? It may cost a bit more but would be worth it.

strongchick
06-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Lexy, it was Healthworks.

I'm looking into other gyms for fun. Yes I considered going to yoga studios as well, but I'm interested in trying lots of different things which would be the advantage of a gym....

LexyJoie
06-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by strongchick@Jun 7 2006, 07:40 PM
Lexy, it was Healthworks.

Bingo.

absolut_blonde
06-08-2006, 01:18 AM
I belonged to a gym like that back when I was living in LA. It was amazingly well-maintained, had tons of floor space, TONS of classes, gorgeous locker rooms, etc. But... just a Smith Machine. This was back before I knew better so I didn't really mind but thinking back, it kind of seems like a waste!

Most of the gyms I've been to here have a rack and a cage, but I have only tried out 3 or 4, all co-ed. I suspect the Spalady gyms here don't have anything to squat with though.

lynne12
06-08-2006, 02:07 AM
I went to an all women's gym to check it out w/ a friend of mine who wanted to join.

This place didn't even have a smith. But they had several of thoe pilates machines :blink: There was a line up for them when I was there. :dry:

The free weights area consisted of dumbells that only went up to 20lbs and a few barbells with un-adjustable weights on them. It sucked.

Then, I looked around at the so-called trainers and turned to my friend and said " would you like to look like any of the trainers here?"

She turned to me and said, "well, no." So I asked her why she'd want to join the gym then. So I convinced her not to. Good Lord the trainers were all out of shape. One was showing a client how to do a deadlift and her back was all rounded. :censor:

What is it with women's gyms? I just didn't understand it. :scratch:

clsupnorth
06-08-2006, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by absolut_blonde@Jun 7 2006, 08:18 PM
I suspect the Spalady gyms here don't have anything to squat with though.
About 7 years ago I was a Spalady member, and none of their gyms that I went to had a squat rack that I can remember. Mind you, at the time, I was too busy on the cardio machines and inner thigh machine to have noticed. :oops: