PDA

View Full Version : Hey

cruikshank
06-21-2010, 01:32 AM
Hello Everyone,

My name is Drew. My wife Erica (befit) just started competing this year and I am along for the ride. We are trying to do as much of the workout and diet ourselves as possible. Next year we will start working with Erik. Hopefully we can save enough to both work with him. We have made a separate account and are on the right track.

A little about me if anyone cares. I have been into fitness for about 10 years now. Just recently (in the last year) I have decided to educate myself beyond supplement ads and the magazine rack. It's really been rewarding. I have been devouring info like a sponge. I love thinking and training outside the box. I love not being like everyone else and I love getting results.

I work for our local Sheriffs department, I love cars and motorcycles, I shoot competitively, and train, council, and cook(sometimes):whipped: for my wife.

I just ruptured a disc in my back doing squats. I got 6 good reps though. I will be having surgery(Lamenotomy) sometime in the next month. It has really put a damper on leg day for me.

We have a 3yr old son who is sooooooo full of energy. He's perfect.

Ericas desire to compete lead me here. Thanks for having me. I look forward to getting to know everyone.

thewickedtwo
06-21-2010, 02:25 AM
Hello Everyone,

My name is Drew. My wife Erica (befit) just started competing this year and I am along for the ride. We are trying to do as much of the workout and diet ourselves as possible. Next year we will start working with Erik. Hopefully we can save enough to both work with him. We have made a separate account and are on the right track.

A little about me if anyone cares. I have been into fitness for about 10 years now. Just recently (in the last year) I have decided to educate myself beyond supplement ads and the magazine rack. It's really been rewarding. I have been devouring info like a sponge. I love thinking and training outside the box. I love not being like everyone else and I love getting results.

I work for our local Sheriffs department, I love cars and motorcycles, I shoot competitively, and train, council, and cook(sometimes):whipped: for my wife.

I just ruptured a disc in my back doing squats. I got 6 good reps though. I will be having surgery(Lamenotomy) sometime in the next month. It has really put a damper on leg day for me.

Ericas desire to compete lead me here. Thanks for having me. I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Welcome Drew! :wave:

thanks for joining us!

Are you able to still workout at all with that sort of injury?

Inatic
06-21-2010, 09:48 AM
welcome!

Cathie
06-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Welcome Drew :wave:

Are you sure you need surgery on that disc? Have you seen an ART guy? My guy saved me from surgery with therapy and he said my herniation was hyuuuuuge.

Inatic
06-21-2010, 10:55 AM

Are you sure you need surgery on that disc? Have you seen an ART guy? My guy saved me from surgery with therapy and he said my herniation was hyuuuuuge.

mine too!

Erik
06-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Hey Drew. Good to have you here!

cruikshank
06-21-2010, 01:58 PM

Are you able to still workout at all with that sort of injury?

Yes, just no back squats. Deadlifts hurt pretty bad at the top too. Reverse-hypers and regular hypers actually feel good. The epidural and steroid injection into the nerve worked wonders. You know when you have a headache and take Tylenol and it halfway goes away. You know you still have a headache but you just cant feel it so much. That's what it feels like. I dont have very good use of my right leg. I can watch my calf atrophy almost daily.

Well, no I am not sure. But I trust my doc. He sat down with me and we viewed the MRI together. The disc material has pushed the nerve all the way out of the "pocket" that it sits in and is crushing it against the back/inside of the vertebrae. He was surprised that I can still use my leg at all.
I am not sure what ART is. Please let me know more about it. I have a pair of Teeter Hang ups (inversion boots). I have been religious about hanging for 10-20min/night. It helps immensely when suspended, then hurts much worse when I come down.
I am all about alternitive medicine, but I just dont see any alternative that will get this disc material off the nerve and put it back in place so I can regain normal motor function in my leg.
If anyone has any suggestions/ideas please share.

Inatic
06-21-2010, 02:02 PM
ART= active release therapy

www.activerelease.com is a start.

cruikshank
06-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Hey Drew. Good to have you here!

thanks. im excited. I have a lot of catching up to do.:wave:

pavermama
06-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Hello Everyone,

That's why I come here!! :happy05: Smarter, more educated people here I've found out!!! Welcome and good to have you here!

Rashida
06-22-2010, 03:27 AM
:wave:

glassmmam
06-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Welcome aboard!!! Good luck on your surgery

Dawn64
06-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Welcome Drew, nice to have you join us!!

cruikshank
06-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Hi guys. Thanks for the well wishes

RpH
06-23-2010, 12:44 AM
What kind of gun do you shoot competitively?

cruikshank
06-23-2010, 01:52 AM
What kind of gun do you shoot competitively?

A G23, M&P40, or a Kimber Custom II. If its IDPA for fun I shoot the Glock or Kimber. If its a duty rig or LEO match then I use the M&P 'cause thats what we carry. If I can find a 3gun match, I have the G23, 870, and an AR that I put together.

RpH
06-25-2010, 10:43 AM
A G23, M&P40, or a Kimber Custom II. If its IDPA for fun I shoot the Glock or Kimber. If its a duty rig or LEO match then I use the M&P 'cause thats what we carry. If I can find a 3gun match, I have the G23, 870, and an AR that I put together.

I just bought a Springfield EMP .40 cal. It's a sweet shooter!

char-dawg
06-25-2010, 12:13 PM

Sorry about the disc, but I had to laugh when I saw this.

I'm sure you'll be back to normal soon. You've got the right attitude.

tootsy584
06-25-2010, 05:09 PM
I have 2 herniated disks and a degenerative disk, I feel your pain! Hope the surgery goes well. And here's to a quick recovery!

cruikshank
06-26-2010, 01:51 AM
I just bought a Springfield EMP .40 cal. It's a sweet shooter!

Nice!!!! How do u like it? Do u CC? Wifey has an XD9 subcompact. I actually really like it. Really long trigger pull but that is my only complaint with it.

cruikshank
06-26-2010, 01:56 AM
Sorry about the disc, but I had to laugh when I saw this.

I'm sure you'll be back to normal soon. You've got the right attitude.

Thanks. It was actualy a bigtime PR. I wanted to add some more and work up to a BIG single, but I couldn't walk or feel my right foot so I decided to call it a day. So stupid.
I am actually really excited to get it fixed and start over again really light and really work on my squat and dead technique. This has been limiting my
lifting for the last 5 yrs so i can't wait to get it done.

cruikshank
06-26-2010, 02:01 AM
I have 2 herniated disks and a degenerative disk, I feel your pain! Hope the surgery goes well. And here's to a quick recovery!

Thanks so much. I hope u find a way to manage what u have going on as well. Good luck

RpH
06-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Nice!!!! How do u like it? Do u CC? Wifey has an XD9 subcompact. I actually really like it. Really long trigger pull but that is my only complaint with it.

The EMP is the best pistol I own. It's a shooter. I guess the heavy barrel and light, crisp trigger make the difference. I would have never thought such a short gun would be so accurate. I do CC. I liked the XD's, something can be said for double stack vs. single stack. If she's got a subcompact, what is it, .45? Just shoot a Ruger LCP and you'll love the short trigger of the XD. The LCP's trigger must go back 2 feet. :lol: That's the price you pay for no safety.