PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions to improve?

gettingstronger
06-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Hi - I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding my current 4 day split.

First off, my goal is fat loss, and after reading some recent posts I think I may be doing a workout more geared towards gaining mass! I originally began following this setup over on O2 - I believe Leah posted it there. I have no problems with the current workout, just want to get some opinions on how to improve. At first I was seeing some results, but in the past few weeks, I feel that I may be going in reverse?! (This could have something to do with not being as strict as I should with my food intake - I'll post those issues in the appropriate place)

My current setup is as follows:

M - Upper - heavy Horizontal
Bench Press - 5x5
Bent Over BB Rows - 5x5
Pulldowns - 3x8-10
Shoulder Press - 3x8-10

T - AM - HIIT
PM - Lower - Squat emphasis
Full Squats 5x5
Split squats 3x8-10
Leg Extensions 3x8-10

W - SS cardio

T - Upper - heavy Vertical
Assisted Pullups - 5x5
Assisted Dips - 5x5
Incline DB Press - 3x8
Seated Cable Rows - 3x8

F - AM - HIIT
PM - Lower - Hip Emphasis
SLDL's - 5x5
Leg Curls or Pullthroughs - 3x8-10
1 leg Back Extensions - 2x8-10

S - OFF
S - OFF, but usually have Football

smuggie
06-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Strictly speaking, your UB workouts are heavy horizontal/light vertical and heavy vertical/light horizontal respectively.

Even though you're splitting up your HIIT and leg sessions, I think you would be better off moving your HIIT sessions to your UB days and/or off days.

You need to post your diet plan if you want advice on losing fat and whether or not your workouts fit in with your diet plan.

Kathryn
06-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by smuggie@Jun 8 2006, 10:21 AM

Even though you're splitting up your HIIT and leg sessions, I think you would be better off moving your HIIT sessions to your UB days and/or off days.

Why is that Smuggie?...I've read somewhere by T that if you are doing the 4 day split, it is better to do HIIT on your lower body day. Hmm..I'd rather do it on off days but figure T had a reason for this.

gettingstronger
06-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the responses. In regards to having HIIT on my LB day, I just started doing that recently, after reading several threads where Thunder had suggested it, in order to give the legs more complete days off, and therefore more rest time.
If it works out, I'll keep it that way, if not I'll change it back to UB days.

In regards to my Diet plan, I admit that it is a work in progress. Some days are definitely better than others, for no good reasons. The excuses would be: lack of planning and stress.

On a typical day it is as follows:

Meal 1 -> 1/2 c oats w 1 scoop PP, green tea

Meal 2 -> 1/2 to 3/4 c cottage cheese, w almonds or Omega 3 caps, orange

Meal 3 -> 4-6 oz chicken or beef, salad or green veggies

Meal 4 -> (PWO) Protein Shake w skim milk

Meal 5 -> 4-6 oz lean protein (chicken, fish, beef), with starchy and fibrous veggies

Meal 6 -> often cottage cheese w pb

I am 5'11" and last I checked, I was 160lbs.

*I realize I haven't listed macros, etc, but I am typing this from work and don't have access to those right now.

Thanks in advance for any input!

PowerManDL
06-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Kathryn+Jun 8 2006, 12:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kathryn @ Jun 8 2006, 12:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-smuggie@Jun 8 2006, 10:21 AM

Even though you&#39;re splitting up your HIIT and leg sessions, I think you would be better off moving your HIIT sessions to your UB days and/or off days.

Why is that Smuggie?...I&#39;ve read somewhere by T that if you are doing the 4 day split, it is better to do HIIT on your lower body day. Hmm..I&#39;d rather do it on off days but figure T had a reason for this. [/b][/quote]
This ends up being what we call "splitting hairs".

Erik
06-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Kathryn+Jun 8 2006, 12:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kathryn @ Jun 8 2006, 12:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-smuggie@Jun 8 2006, 10:21 AM

Even though you&#39;re splitting up your HIIT and leg sessions, I think you would be better off moving your HIIT sessions to your UB days and/or off days.

Why is that Smuggie?...I&#39;ve read somewhere by T that if you are doing the 4 day split, it is better to do HIIT on your lower body day. Hmm..I&#39;d rather do it on off days but figure T had a reason for this. [/b][/quote]
Your preference really, but I prefer these days to do it in a second session on lower body days. My legs are way too sore on the days following leg training to even think of sprinting.

gettingstronger
06-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the clarification regarding when to do HIIT sessions. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on this plan overall? Any glaring errors? Anything that I should add or remove?