PDA

View Full Version : Charly Horses - cramps



Sarawithanh
05-03-2006, 11:19 AM
since we dont really have a "health" section yet, I wasn't sure where to put this.

my father gets charly horses a lot - spasm cramps in his calf muscles and his feet. lately i've been getting them WAY too often - what gives? And I'm pretty sure I eat enough potassium (is it a potassium issue or just a genetics issue? a medicine issue?) lets just say I'm frustrated cuz I woke up at 6am this morning (i was trying to sleep til 7 b/c my body is angry) to a charly horse in my calf and it HURT LIKE H.E.L.L. (as they all do). the ones in my feet aren't nearly as bad but still irritating.

(I havent been to the gym since last week due to allergic asthma issues)

thanks for your hlep in advance

krispy1138
05-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Sarawithanh2000@May 3 2006, 11:19 AM
since we dont really have a "health" section yet, I wasn't sure where to put this.

my father gets charly horses a lot - spasm cramps in his calf muscles and his feet. lately i've been getting them WAY too often - what gives? And I'm pretty sure I eat enough potassium (is it a potassium issue or just a genetics issue? a medicine issue?) lets just say I'm frustrated cuz I woke up at 6am this morning (i was trying to sleep til 7 b/c my body is angry) to a charly horse in my calf and it HURT LIKE H.E.L.L. (as they all do). the ones in my feet aren't nearly as bad but still irritating.

(I havent been to the gym since last week due to allergic asthma issues)

thanks for your hlep in advance
I haven't had full blown charley horses recently, but my calves have felt reallly tight, to the point where it wakes me up because I feel a charley horse coming on. I've even eaten a banana a day for the last 1-1/2 weeks and drink about 4 liters of way a day.

I get that in my feet, too, where my toes get super straight and bunch together and kind of lock up. Ouch!

rainking
05-03-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm not really much help, as you probably drink tons of water already, but I get them when I'm dehydrated. Especially the morning after a few glasses of wine!

Sarawithanh
05-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by rainking@May 3 2006, 12:10 PM
I'm not really much help, as you probably drink tons of water already, but I get them when I'm dehydrated. Especially the morning after a few glasses of wine!
I thought it might be dehydration - but I actually downed about a .5 to a liter of water (and a cup herbal decaf tea) prior to bedtime to try to get my coughing undercontrol.....

Thanks tho, maybe somebody else can help?

Brandi
05-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Yeah but .5 liter isn't going to remedy dehydration if you haven't had much to drink during the day.


I sometimes stretch before bed too.

Pinky
05-03-2006, 03:51 PM
I am taking Calcium Citrate, but was told I could take Calcium Magnesium if I had cramping. I did end up with a charlie horse in my calf the other night. My mom told me that magnesium helps your body absorb the calcium, so maybe you are not absorbing calcium quick enough.

I honestly really don't know, this is the explaination my mom gave me, so who knows if it is correct of not. She also told me, when I was a kid, that if you put your head underwater in a hot tub, you would get bubbles in your ears and die.... :blink:

Sarawithanh
05-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Pinky@May 3 2006, 03:51 PM
I honestly really don't know, this is the explaination my mom gave me, so who knows if it is correct of not. She also told me, when I was a kid, that if you put your head underwater in a hot tub, you would get bubbles in your ears and die.... :blink:
hahahahaha :funny:

well i well hydrated all day yesterday and drank even more last night due to coughing.

so about the calcium, is that I'm not getting enough calcium in my diet? or just the absorptin or both? hmmmmmmmmmmm.

stretching before bed, might be good...i always end up stretching while i'm sleeping and bam, a charly horse hits. :curse:

stillastudent
05-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Sarawithanh2000+May 3 2006, 03:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sarawithanh2000 @ May 3 2006, 03:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Pinky@May 3 2006, 03:51 PM
I honestly really don&#39;t know, this is the explaination my mom gave me, so who knows if it is correct of not. She also told me, when I was a kid, that if you put your head underwater in a hot tub, you would get bubbles in your ears and die.... :blink:
hahahahaha :funny:

well i well hydrated all day yesterday and drank even more last night due to coughing.

so about the calcium, is that I&#39;m not getting enough calcium in my diet? or just the absorptin or both? hmmmmmmmmmmm.

stretching before bed, might be good...i always end up stretching while i&#39;m sleeping and bam, a charly horse hits. :curse: [/b][/quote]
I use to get them terribly. I was told the best thing for them, when they come on, is to get up and walk it out. It seemed to help but it was still terrible. I was also told that it was a calcium deficiency. So, I upped my calcium and haven&#39;t had them for awhile. I dont know if thats correct but what I was told.

Pinky
05-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by stillastudent+May 3 2006, 10:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (stillastudent @ May 3 2006, 10:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Sarawithanh2000@May 3 2006, 03:58 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Pinky@May 3 2006, 03:51 PM
I honestly really don&#39;t know, this is the explaination my mom gave me, so who knows if it is correct of not.* She also told me, when I was a kid, that if you put your head underwater in a hot tub, you would get bubbles in your ears and die.... :blink:
hahahahaha :funny:

well i well hydrated all day yesterday and drank even more last night due to coughing.

so about the calcium, is that I&#39;m not getting enough calcium in my diet? or just the absorptin or both? hmmmmmmmmmmm.

stretching before bed, might be good...i always end up stretching while i&#39;m sleeping and bam, a charly horse hits. :curse:
I use to get them terribly. I was told the best thing for them, when they come on, is to get up and walk it out. It seemed to help but it was still terrible. I was also told that it was a calcium deficiency. So, I upped my calcium and haven&#39;t had them for awhile. I dont know if thats correct but what I was told. [/b][/quote]
My hubby used to tell me to massage it or walk on it. I can barely touch my calves when this happens, yet alone walk on it or massage it&#33;

When he finally had one, I told him the same advice he gave me. He finally understood where I was coming from, and has never told me to massage it since&#33;

stillastudent
05-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Pinky+May 3 2006, 05:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pinky @ May 3 2006, 05:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by stillastudent@May 3 2006, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Sarawithanh2000@May 3 2006, 03:58 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Pinky@May 3 2006, 03:51 PM
I honestly really don&#39;t know, this is the explaination my mom gave me, so who knows if it is correct of not.* She also told me, when I was a kid, that if you put your head underwater in a hot tub, you would get bubbles in your ears and die.... :blink:
hahahahaha :funny:

well i well hydrated all day yesterday and drank even more last night due to coughing.

so about the calcium, is that I&#39;m not getting enough calcium in my diet? or just the absorptin or both? hmmmmmmmmmmm.

stretching before bed, might be good...i always end up stretching while i&#39;m sleeping and bam, a charly horse hits. :curse:
I use to get them terribly. I was told the best thing for them, when they come on, is to get up and walk it out. It seemed to help but it was still terrible. I was also told that it was a calcium deficiency. So, I upped my calcium and haven&#39;t had them for awhile. I dont know if thats correct but what I was told.
My hubby used to tell me to massage it or walk on it. I can barely touch my calves when this happens, yet alone walk on it or massage it&#33;

When he finally had one, I told him the same advice he gave me. He finally understood where I was coming from, and has never told me to massage it since&#33; [/b][/quote]
Oh it definitely hurts to walk it out. I tried my best to walk it out each time, it did finally let go. Its a killer to get through though.

collegegirl
05-03-2006, 06:21 PM
My dad needs to take salt pills once in awhile because of really bad cramping up. Maybe you have the same thing.

rainking
05-03-2006, 11:37 PM
So I did a wee search, and it mentioned the calcium deficiency (sp?) several times. And that can be; a)not getting enough, or b)not absorbing enough. Add magnesium to help absorb, add calcium if you&#39;re not getting enough. This was the jist of it all.

They also mentioned dehydration and inadeqate stretching as other possible causes.

magic
05-04-2006, 02:29 AM
Maybe some tonic water? Way back when, in the dark ages, my doctor put me on quinine for bad muscle cramps/spasms in my legs. It seemed to help me. I used quinine in capsule form. He said it interrupts whatever the signal to cramp is. Anyhow, for what it&#39;s worth...

Beth66
05-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Do you happen to use Yasmin birth control pills? I understand they can affect your potassium levels and can cause cramping.

I&#39;ve been getting calf cramps since starting on Yasmin 2 months ago.

Figured out the problem, haven&#39;t figured out the solution yet. I want to give my body another month to adjust, then decide what to do.

jrb1980
05-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Hey - I used to get these ALL the time when I ran track in univeristy. Also, when my SO was a tennis pro he would regularly get them. There are various causes but generally from a potassium/sodium problem in your blood stream. The issue is dehydration a lot of time, but just drinking water is not going to help (sometimes hurt) because your body is not retaining elecrtolytes.

Different solutions work for different people but the first thing anyone recommends is a banana a day, and a little more salt in your food. My doctor says a half a banana is adequate. This is what my SO uses and helps him. Personally, I&#39;ll do without the banana a day, and I took a supplement called EMERGEN-C, but there are other powdered electrolyte supplements available. This helps me. Try it out and use after a workout/run, whatever if you are sweating a lot.

Sarawithanh
05-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 4 2006, 07:59 PM
Hey - I used to get these ALL the time when I ran track in univeristy. Also, when my SO was a tennis pro he would regularly get them. There are various causes but generally from a potassium/sodium problem in your blood stream. The issue is dehydration a lot of time, but just drinking water is not going to help (sometimes hurt) because your body is not retaining elecrtolytes.

Different solutions work for different people but the first thing anyone recommends is a banana a day, and a little more salt in your food. My doctor says a half a banana is adequate. This is what my SO uses and helps him. Personally, I&#39;ll do without the banana a day, and I took a supplement called EMERGEN-C, but there are other powdered electrolyte supplements available. This helps me. Try it out and use after a workout/run, whatever if you are sweating a lot.
I LOVE emergenC Thanks for the tip - I&#39;ll try to drink it more&#33; I normally only consume it when I do Bikram Yoga..and well, I havent exactly done any sort of exercise since last week :rolleyes: (praying the pollen goes away soon&#33;&#33; I have allergic asthma)