PDA

View Full Version : Callanetics

northernstar
06-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Doing my normal ignore-work-browse-net routine, I came across some Callanetics threads on another board.
Callanetics - the end-all-be-all of fitness? Apparently, this is the magic bullet. I tried googling it to get some more info, but so far I'm coming up empty-handed.
I think this is BS, but has anyone heard of it? I can't even figure out what it is.

DeeDee
06-09-2006, 02:33 PM
I've never heard of it before either. Just googled it, looks something like pilates. Seems to be a re-treading of old material.
nuthin special.

amyloo
06-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I've heard of it....in the 80's!!! I had no idea it was still around. I think it's a lot of isometric small muscle isolation. Maybe similar to Pilates or something?? There used to be a Callanetics studio in one of the buildings I worked in, and let me tell you, the women coming out of that class were not what I'd call fit.

Chelsinator
06-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Do you mean Calisthenics? :blink:

It's excerises using your bodyweight for resistance...ie pushups, sit-ups, un-weighted squats, etc.....

:confused:

Chelsinator
06-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Nevermind :dry: I'm dumb....I have just never heard of this Callanetics business...weird. I'm gonna go read up on it now :oops:

Swiss
06-10-2006, 04:18 AM
Oh, god, that's been around for ages. I remember my co-worker talking about it...that was back in 1984 :lol: