PDA

View Full Version : Plie squats?



Birdie
06-09-2006, 09:29 PM
I have a few questions about plie squats please for anyone who would like to comment. Does anyone incorporate plie squats into their training? Also, are they used to target the inner thighs or do they target your butt or both?

Thanks!

Erik
06-09-2006, 10:20 PM
No ... partly because as a guy, I'd really not want to be caught dead doing this exercise in the gym.

And secondly, I think it's a 'foo foo' exercise, the way I typically see them done.

jaleena
06-09-2006, 10:31 PM
As I've never really gotten clear on them, it's basically a wide-PL squat with db's?
Clearly, I'm not doing them. And I don't really target muscles, I just lift heavy things.

ReneeG
06-09-2006, 10:38 PM
You can do them with a barbell to add some weight. Obviously you can only get so much weight using a DB. But I do like the wide stance every once in awhile, just make sure you go all the way down and squeeze all the way up!

Fet
06-09-2006, 10:54 PM
What's the difference between plie and sumo stance?

jaleena
06-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Why not squat like normal people instead of complicating things? ;)

Kristy
06-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by FetQueen@Jun 9 2006, 02:54 PM
What's the difference between plie and sumo stance?
plie squats are foo foo like Thunder said! :cool:



You hold a db in between your legs with the plies. If you can squat any sort of appreciable weight, they're not going to be possible.

Birdie
06-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Thanks all for your response.

I agree. Doing them in public might be kind of strange.

liberty
06-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Birdie@Jun 9 2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks all for your response.

I agree. Doing them in public might be kind of strange.
try doing them 38 weeks pregnant :lol: I truly am a freak but these were the only type of squats I could do.
C

Tina
06-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by liberty+Jun 9 2006, 07:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (liberty @ Jun 9 2006, 07:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Birdie@Jun 9 2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks all for your response.

I agree. Doing them in public might be kind of strange.
try doing them 38 weeks pregnant :lol: I truly am a freak but these were the only type of squats I could do.
C [/b][/quote]
:lol:

FitMomof4
06-09-2006, 11:28 PM
I&#39;m having really bad lower back problems - I think I hurt it putting too much weight on the bar for squatting, but it is exacerbated by my lifting my 3 yr old twins every day...anyway, the plie squats holding a DB in front seem to not hurt my lower back. I haven&#39;t been able to do normal squats in about 2 weeks. When my back feels better, hopefully next week, I was going to start with bodyweight squats (really lame but how else can I rehab?), then move on to plie squats. True, these are lame exercises compared to regular squats (which is what I want to do), but do you think doing these is better than doing nothing? Also I have been doing leg extensions and leg curls - I have my husband load the weights on for me so I don&#39;t have to bend and pick them up. I also have him hand me a couple of db&#39;s so I can do static lunges. I am trying to keep my leg muscles working but it is hard without doing the heavy squats.

Bravogrl27
06-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by FetQueen@Jun 9 2006, 05:54 PM
What&#39;s the difference between plie and sumo stance?
That&#39;s a good question. I&#39;ve seen people use them interchangeable on other forums . . .when posting their workouts they&#39;ll put something like "sumo (plie) squats" . . . I always thought the difference was that the plie was done with a dumbbell. But then recently I was told to do a plie with a barbell, so I&#39;m not sure how different it is. So for the experts out there--who may think it&#39;s foo foo, lol--can you still explain what the difference is?

straitshooter
06-10-2006, 01:34 AM
I do them sometimes in my program. I hold a very heavy dumbell with both hands, right in front of my body.

smuggie
06-10-2006, 01:38 AM
I do them every now and then. I&#39;ve gone as high as a 120-pound DB.

I don&#39;t consider that foo foo.

Erik
06-10-2006, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by smuggie@Jun 9 2006, 09:38 PM
I do them every now and then. I&#39;ve gone as high as a 120-pound DB.

I don&#39;t consider that foo foo.
I do

smuggie
06-10-2006, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Thunder+Jun 9 2006, 10:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thunder @ Jun 9 2006, 10:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-smuggie@Jun 9 2006, 09:38 PM
I do them every now and then. I&#39;ve gone as high as a 120-pound DB.

I don&#39;t consider that foo foo.
I do [/b][/quote]
Well, bully for you. :p

Erik
06-10-2006, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by smuggie+Jun 9 2006, 10:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (smuggie @ Jun 9 2006, 10:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Thunder@Jun 9 2006, 10:25 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-smuggie@Jun 9 2006, 09:38 PM
I do them every now and then. I&#39;ve gone as high as a 120-pound DB.

I don&#39;t consider that foo foo.
I do
Well, bully for you. :p [/b][/quote]
;)

PowerManDL
06-10-2006, 02:58 AM
Remember in a thread not too long ago when we were talking about how men and women shouldn&#39;t train differently, but women realizing this often times still end up training differently anyway?

This exercise is one of the things I&#39;m talking about.

Bravogrl27
06-10-2006, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@Jun 9 2006, 09:58 PM
Remember in a thread not too long ago when we were talking about how men and women shouldn&#39;t train differently, but women realizing this often times still end up training differently anyway?

This exercise is one of the things I&#39;m talking about.
I&#39;ve seen men do plie squats. :)

PowerManDL
06-10-2006, 03:05 AM
And we call those men "skinny weak faggots".

Erik
06-10-2006, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@Jun 9 2006, 11:05 PM
And we call those men "skinny weak faggots".
LMAO

Just burst out laughing.

GqArtguy
06-10-2006, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@Jun 9 2006, 10:05 PM
And we call those men "skinny weak faggots".
Indeed :lol:

Bravogrl27
06-10-2006, 05:40 AM
How much money would someone have to pay you to get you to pose in magazines doing foo foo stretches (and agree to have statements printed that you incorporate these into your normal workout routine)? I swear some of the pics I&#39;ve seen the guys are lookin pretty tight. They may never actually do them in real life, I have no way of knowing . . .

jaleena
06-10-2006, 06:23 AM
Even if I wanted to do these, I couldn&#39;t, because I&#39;m still not all that clear on what they are, particularly after Bravo said they can be done with a bb. All I&#39;m sure of is they aren&#39;t what I first thought they were, which was weighted ballet class stuff :shrug:

homeschoolmom
06-10-2006, 12:51 PM
I know everyone thinks these are wussie, but I like them&#33;&#33; I&#39;m having a hard time with CDL&#39;s and RDL&#39;s due to my back problems, so it just adds another leg variation for me that doesn&#39;t fry my back.

PowerManDL
06-10-2006, 05:20 PM
The truly hardcore will DL to fix back problems.

FitMomof4
06-10-2006, 05:34 PM
...and once my back doesn&#39;t hurt excruciatingly anymore, I will DL to strengthen it. Until then, it&#39;s either do lame exercises or just nothing at all. Right now there is no question - I cannot do a DL . I could hardly bend down to tie my running shoes this morning. :sad:

strongchick
06-10-2006, 05:57 PM
There&#39;s a guy at my gym who does them, holding two 70lb dbs. He trains EVERYTHING super-slow as well...10 second eccentric and concentrics.

its amusing watching him do plie&#39;s that slow with an agonized expression on his face.

homeschoolmom
06-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@Jun 10 2006, 01:20 PM
The truly hardcore will DL to fix back problems.
Then I guess I&#39;m not hardcore...yet. :) Give me some more time and I might be. My back has gotten a lot better since I started lifting heavier, but when I started doing CDL&#39;s and RDL&#39;s again, I began to have pain again as well. Matt, if you&#39;ve got some tips, I&#39;m all ears.

Bravogrl27
06-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by jaleena@Jun 10 2006, 01:23 AM
Even if I wanted to do these, I couldn&#39;t, because I&#39;m still not all that clear on what they are, particularly after Bravo said they can be done with a bb. All I&#39;m sure of is they aren&#39;t what I first thought they were, which was weighted ballet class stuff :shrug:
We may never be very clear in this thread because the experts are too busy laughing at them being foo foo. ;) I do them though--I have to as they are part of my plan. But even though I was told to do them with a barbell, I did them with a dumbbell instead because of the question on form--and I haven&#39;t done a sumo before. I may ask my trainer to show me. I just resort back to my 2nd grade ballet class and do a plie only with a weight. ;) But the plie doesn&#39;t go as low as a sumo, the sumo seems to go as low as you can go, with feet wider apart.

Kristy
06-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Bravogrl27@Jun 10 2006, 11:44 AM
We may never be very clear in this thread because the experts are too busy laughing at them being foo foo. ;) I do them though--I have to as they are part of my plan. But even though I was told to do them with a barbell, I did them with a dumbbell instead because of the question on form--and I haven&#39;t done a sumo before. I may ask my trainer to show me. I just resort back to my 2nd grade ballet class and do a plie only with a weight. ;) But the plie doesn&#39;t go as low as a sumo, the sumo seems to go as low as you can go, with feet wider apart.
Or you could actually do research yourself....

Plies are done with a very wide stance, with toes pointing way out. Its high squat done above parallel. DB is usually held in front, between the legs in an upright position.

Sumos are done with a wide stance, toes pointing out or forward. Its a lower squat but not a full squat. Usually done to parallel. You can do sumos with more weight because your feet are not pointing out as much as with the plies, so you&#39;re in a better position to squat.

Did your trainer say why you are doing a foo foo exercise? Far too many people are doing silly exercises because their trainer "said so".

Bravogrl27
06-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Kristy@Jun 10 2006, 02:59 PM
Or you could actually do research yourself....

Plies are done with a very wide stance, with toes pointing way out. Its high squat done above parallel. DB is usually held in front, between the legs in an upright position.

Sumos are done with a wide stance, toes pointing out or forward. Its a lower squat but not a full squat. Usually done to parallel. You can do sumos with more weight because your feet are not pointing out as much as with the plies, so you&#39;re in a better position to squat.

Did your trainer say why you are doing a foo foo exercise? Far too many people are doing silly exercises because their trainer "said so".
I have done a little research and was just interested in people&#39;s thoughts here since quite a few times I&#39;ve pulled things off the net that were completely off in their form. I think Mark and others could probably concur with that. But thanks for elaborating on it for us. I did point my toes out and did a wide stance, but a few pics I saw on the internet of the sumo sure made it seem like they went very very low and one of them even said "as low as you can go." Like that song "how low can you go? can you go to the floor? all the way to the floor?..." :shutit: I&#39;m in a cheesy mood today....

Well, I do what my online consultant tells me to do because she "said so." If at the end of my 3 months I&#39;m not satisfied with her services I can do something else. Until then, I do as I&#39;m told. :)

Erik
06-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Bravogrl27@Jun 10 2006, 04:35 PM
Well, I do what my online consultant tells me to do because she "said so." If at the end of my 3 months I&#39;m not satisfied with her services I can do something else. Until then, I do as I&#39;m told. :)]
Good.

This makes for happy coaches.

Kristy
06-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Bravogrl27@Jun 10 2006, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE]
I have done a little research and was just interested in people&#39;s thoughts here since quite a few times I&#39;ve pulled things off the net that were completely off in their form. I think Mark and others could probably concur with that. But thanks for elaborating on it for us. I did point my toes out and did a wide stance, but a few pics I saw on the internet of the sumo sure made it seem like they went very very low and one of them even said "as low as you can go." Like that song "how low can you go? can you go to the floor? all the way to the floor?..." :shutit: I&#39;m in a cheesy mood today....

Well, I do what my online consultant tells me to do because she "said so." If at the end of my 3 months I&#39;m not satisfied with her services I can do something else. Until then, I do as I&#39;m told. :)
Its extremely hard to go very low a sumo. Because of your stance you&#39;ve got less of a ways to go down before you hit parallel, but you&#39;d have to be extremely flexible and have very strong glutes and hams to do a full squat with a sumo stance. Not to mention you&#39;d have to sit very upright to get your hams on your calves without your sacrum severely rounding.

This is just my opinion, but don&#39;t be afraid to ask why you&#39;re doing something something in your program. If I hired someone to train me and I felt they were doing something unusual or incorrect, I would ask why.

smuggie
06-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Kristy@Jun 10 2006, 04:43 PM
This is just my opinion, but don&#39;t be afraid to ask why you&#39;re doing something something in your program. If I hired someone to train me and I felt they were doing something unusual or incorrect, I would ask why.
I agree. I want to know why I&#39;m doing something. A good coach won&#39;t get insulted if you ask questions.

Bravogrl27
06-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by smuggie@Jun 10 2006, 03:46 PM
I agree. I want to know why I&#39;m doing something. A good coach won&#39;t get insulted if you ask questions.
I guess I&#39;m too military. My approach to so many things in life (my job, co-workers when they complain, my personal training, everything really) is just shut up and do it. It&#39;s about trusting and submitting to whatever authority I have placed over me. Now if I don&#39;t get results and I&#39;ve done everything 100% that I&#39;ve been told to do, then I&#39;ll ask questions. :)

smuggie
06-10-2006, 09:01 PM
I&#39;m the opposite. I don&#39;t submit to authority, because there are too many people out there who are supposed to be experts but are really dumbasses.

Bravogrl27
06-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by smuggie@Jun 10 2006, 04:01 PM
I&#39;m the opposite. I don&#39;t submit to authority, because there are too many people out there who are supposed to be experts but are really dumbasses.
There are a lot of supposed experts out there, that&#39;s true&#33; But not everyone is a dumbbass. Some people know what they&#39;re doing as well as why they are doing it, and some of them are effective in passing that onto others.

Erik
06-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Bravogrl27@Jun 10 2006, 04:58 PM
I guess I&#39;m too military. My approach to so many things in life (my job, co-workers when they complain, my personal training, everything really) is just shut up and do it. It&#39;s about trusting and submitting to whatever authority I have placed over me. Now if I don&#39;t get results and I&#39;ve done everything 100% that I&#39;ve been told to do, then I&#39;ll ask questions. :)
This is the type of client I like. :lol:

Headache free.

Bravogrl27
06-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@Jun 10 2006, 04:08 PM
This is the type of client I like. :lol:

Headache free.
Lol. I might be on your waiting list in a few months. Until then, I&#39;m the foo foo queen. I really do like my program right now though, so far it&#39;s going really well. :)

smuggie
06-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@Jun 10 2006, 05:08 PM
This is the type of client I like. :lol:

Headache free.
Not like me, huh?

Question after question after question..... :lol:

Erik
06-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by smuggie+Jun 10 2006, 05:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (smuggie @ Jun 10 2006, 05:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Thunder@Jun 10 2006, 05:08 PM
This is the type of client I like. :lol:

Headache free.
Not like me, huh?

Question after question after question..... :lol: [/b][/quote]
I don&#39;t mind questions. It comes with the territory. If something needs explaining, I&#39;ll explain it.

But I don&#39;t tend to have the time to explain the whys of every single program design decision I make ... repeatedly.

Fet
06-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@Jun 10 2006, 04:08 PM
This is the type of client I like. :lol:

Headache free.
Unfortunately, this is also the type of client the dumbass coaches like.

Erik
06-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by FetQueen+Jun 10 2006, 06:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FetQueen @ Jun 10 2006, 06:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Thunder@Jun 10 2006, 04:08 PM
This is the type of client I like. :lol:

Headache free.
Unfortunately, this is also the type of client the dumbass coaches like. [/b][/quote]
Guess I&#39;m a dumbass coach then.

Fet
06-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Thunder+Jun 10 2006, 05:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thunder @ Jun 10 2006, 05:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by FetQueen@Jun 10 2006, 06:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Thunder@Jun 10 2006, 04:08 PM
This is the type of client I like. :lol:

Headache free.
Unfortunately, this is also the type of client the dumbass coaches like.
Guess I&#39;m a dumbass coach then. [/b][/quote]
Nah, I doubt that. I think you like smart clients. At least I hope you do....

Strive2Define
06-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by FitMomof4@Jun 10 2006, 01:34 PM
...and once my back doesn&#39;t hurt excruciatingly anymore, I will DL to strengthen it. Until then, it&#39;s either do lame exercises or just nothing at all. Right now there is no question - I cannot do a DL . I could hardly bend down to tie my running shoes this morning. :sad:
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I thought the vast majority or lower back problems were from having weak abdominal muscles(and being overweight) and once you strengthen your core, most LB pain subsided??

Erik
06-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Strive2Define@Jun 10 2006, 06:31 PM
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I thought the vast majority or lower back problems were from having weak abdominal muscles(and being overweight) and once you strengthen your core, most LB pain subsided??
Good be any great number of things. It&#39;s not always abs; could be tight hip flexors, hamstrings, etc. The list goes on ...

michellebelle
06-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Yep. When I injured my back, the chiro said it was from tight hip flexors.

Blondell
06-11-2006, 12:04 AM
plie squats tone my thighs; without adding bulk.

Blondell
06-11-2006, 12:04 AM
:lol:

smuggie
06-11-2006, 12:18 AM
You better be joking. :lol:

FitMomof4
06-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Strive2Define@Jun 10 2006, 05:31 PM
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I thought the vast majority or lower back problems were from having weak abdominal muscles(and being overweight) and once you strengthen your core, most LB pain subsided??
My back problem is a pulled muscle that is not getting better because I don&#39;t rest it enough. I pulled it lifting a too-heavy barbell to do squats. Then for the next 2 weeks I kept trying to do squats and DL&#39;s and rows with lighter weights, but this just kept aggravating it. Plus I have 4 kids ages 6 and under, so my days always involve lifting kids for one reason or another. It&#39;s the bending over and lifting that&#39;s killing me. I haven&#39;t lifted anyweights from the floor upward in one week now and it is feeling better ( I have my husband load up the weights on the bb for chest press, and hand me db&#39;s while I am standing for other weight work). But yesterday one of my 3 yr olds had to be picked up quickly and ta-da, I was sore again today. My abs are very strong and I am not anywhere near being overweight, so it&#39;s not that. I think I have been neglecting my back and maybe I even have to start (gasp) stretching it. Even though I run, I have never been one to stretch. Hey, am I just getting old, here? (38).

To the OP: I do my plie squats like this: wide stance, toes pointed out, hold a db upright in front at a comfortable level, squat down to parallel. I have heard you shouldn&#39;t let your knees go far out, past your toes, so I try not to do that. A very wide stance helps accomplish this. If you look and feel silly then you are doing it correctly :)

Strive2Define
06-11-2006, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by FitMomof4@Jun 10 2006, 08:34 PM
My back problem is a pulled muscle that is not getting better because I don&#39;t rest it enough. I pulled it lifting a too-heavy barbell to do squats. Then for the next 2 weeks I kept trying to do squats and DL&#39;s and rows with lighter weights, but this just kept aggravating it. Plus I have 4 kids ages 6 and under, so my days always involve lifting kids for one reason or another. It&#39;s the bending over and lifting that&#39;s killing me. I haven&#39;t lifted anyweights from the floor upward in one week now and it is feeling better ( I have my husband load up the weights on the bb for chest press, and hand me db&#39;s while I am standing for other weight work). But yesterday one of my 3 yr olds had to be picked up quickly and ta-da, I was sore again today. My abs are very strong and I am not anywhere near being overweight, so it&#39;s not that. I think I have been neglecting my back and maybe I even have to start (gasp) stretching it. Even though I run, I have never been one to stretch. Hey, am I just getting old, here? (38).

To the OP: I do my plie squats like this: wide stance, toes pointed out, hold a db upright in front at a comfortable level, squat down to parallel. I have heard you shouldn&#39;t let your knees go far out, past your toes, so I try not to do that. A very wide stance helps accomplish this. If you look and feel silly then you are doing it correctly :)
No No I was not implying you didn&#39;t have a problem other than weak core..that is why I said "please correct me if I am wrong" I had always heard that and wanted to know if it was a fallicy or not.

BronzedGoddess
06-11-2006, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Strive2Define@Jun 10 2006, 05:31 PM
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I thought the vast majority or lower back problems were from having weak abdominal muscles(and being overweight) and once you strengthen your core, most LB pain subsided??
I have 5 pinched disks and my SI joints are totally screwed from carrying my children. I wish that dl would fix that. It would be a lot cheaper than a chiro.

Erik
06-11-2006, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by FitMomof4@Jun 10 2006, 08:34 PM
To the OP: I do my plie squats like this: wide stance, toes pointed out, hold a db upright in front at a comfortable level, squat down to parallel. I have heard you shouldn&#39;t let your knees go far out, past your toes, so I try not to do that. A very wide stance helps accomplish this. If you look and feel silly then you are doing it correctly :)
Knees shouldn&#39;t pass the toes?

smuggie
06-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Thunder@Jun 10 2006, 10:16 PM
Knees shouldn&#39;t pass the toes?
You don&#39;t agree? :lol:

jaleena
06-11-2006, 02:58 AM
We shouldn&#39;t take the stairs, and we need to walk like we&#39;re wearing mermaid dresses to prevent the knees from ever crossing the toes :ninja:

smuggie
06-11-2006, 03:58 AM
God forbid the knees should ever cross the toes. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/montagnu/ellis/confused2.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/montagnu/ellis/confused2.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/montagnu/ellis/confused2.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/montagnu/ellis/confused2.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/montagnu/ellis/confused2.gif

Marrla
06-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Oh man.... I couldn&#39;t find the url for this site forever, till I went to an old Thunder post on Oxygen and found it&#33; Soooooooo hilarious to be reading and back with you guys again... oh man.... and the sarcasm continues....

Now I just have to find Mandy21.... lol :quickie: :p :lol:

DianeD
06-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@Jun 9 2006, 06:20 PM
No ... partly because as a guy, I&#39;d really not want to be caught dead doing this exercise in the gym.

And secondly, I think it&#39;s a &#39;foo foo&#39; exercise, the way I typically see them done.
:funny: :funny: