PDA

View Full Version : Unsolicited Advice at the Gym



FightClubFan
06-10-2006, 03:38 AM
Okay, so I am not a big fan of advice at the gym. Usually it is poor advice and I don't want you to interrupt my workout with it...and even if it IS good advice...I don't like being wrong in how I am doing things! So this random guy apparently wants to correct the way I am doing my dumbbell press tonight, which is irritating in itself because I have to pause, take off my earphones, and ask him to repeat what he just said because inevitably he has tried to talk to me while music is blaring in my ears. :dry:

So I listen politely and smile and say thank you, and go about my workout. And then, not three minutes later, this guy--who is not at all built--interrupts me yet AGAIN. The reason for this important interruption?!!? So he can tell me how lifting weights is ALL about reps, and I shouldn't worry about high weight if I wanted to be cut like him. (Cut like him?!?! He is built like a runner--and no offense to runners, but I don't pay T every month so that I can be built like a runner!!) He says never does any supplements because it is all in technique and his advice goes on for a good five minutes. Why!??!!!? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?!?!?!?!?! :censor: :censor:

smuggie
06-10-2006, 03:40 AM
Why didn't you just tell him to buzz off?

FightClubFan
06-10-2006, 03:42 AM
I should have...and now I wish I would have. But I am too nice and avoid confrontation like it's the plague. I would have corrected him, but I'll let him continue looking like a crackhead doing his routine whilst I get into shape.

PowerManDL
06-10-2006, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by FightClubFan@Jun 9 2006, 11:38 PM
Why!??!!!? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?!?!?!?!?! :censor: :censor:
Because he wanted to tap that ass, that's why.

smuggie
06-10-2006, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by FightClubFan@Jun 9 2006, 11:42 PM
I should have...and now I wish I would have. But I am too nice and avoid confrontation like it's the plague. I would have corrected him, but I'll let him continue looking like a crackhead doing his routine whilst I get into shape.
Don't let anyone ruin your workout.

You're not obliged to be nice to people like him.

Erik
06-10-2006, 04:06 AM
:thunder:

Thank you.

GqArtguy
06-10-2006, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by FightClubFan@Jun 9 2006, 10:38 PM
Okay, so I am not a big fan of advice at the gym. Usually it is poor advice and I don't want you to interrupt my workout with it...
Alright...


and even if it IS good advice...I don't like being wrong in how I am doing things!

Well then stop lifting because throughout the learning process, youre going to realize what works for you and what works better for you. Youll have opinions on thing and those can change as your lifting age progresses. If you cant handle that, then just stop lifting.

mark
06-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@Jun 9 2006, 08:45 PM
Because he wanted to tap that ass, that's why.
Exactly! If you were a big homely house frau, I doubt he would have gone out of his way to approach you with his training genius. :lol:


I never offer advice in the gym, as much as I want to sometimes. However, there's a woman at my gym that's training for competition, and her trainer gives her the most fucked up training program. Last night, I was working in on squats with her, and I used that opportunity to point out that her knees were buckling to the inside, then I went into the office and pulled out a copy of that Cressy/Robertson article on glute activation and I gave it to her. I had mentioned it to her trainer already so he could discuss it with her, and he blew me off. I don't think he understood what I was talking about. So, I guess I stepped on his toes a little bit, but I couldn't stand to see it continue.

ladypilot
06-10-2006, 05:24 PM
I figured out that if I walk around with a pissed off look on my face, people leave me alone. I don't usually get unwanted advice, just guys looking for some ass. Works like a charm!

strongchick
06-10-2006, 05:58 PM
I just wear dirty gym clothes. I figure if I smell really bad, people will leave me alone....

smuggie
06-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by mark@Jun 10 2006, 12:09 PM
I don't think he understood what I was talking about.
No kidding. He most likely doesn't even have basic knowledge of anatomy and biomechanics. :lol:

Gazelle
06-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by ladypilot@Jun 10 2006, 01:24 PM
I figured out that if I walk around with a pissed off look on my face, people leave me alone. I don't usually get unwanted advice, just guys looking for some ass. Works like a charm!
This is what I do too. I don't really do it intentionally, but I guess I am trying to tell people to leave me alone by scowling so much. Everyone probably thinks I'm a major beeyoth.

PnW
06-11-2006, 07:36 AM
Or juss say you don't understand or speak english in some random accent :lol: works for me.

Then watch them glare at you when you talk to ppl after your workout :clap:

hotinatl
06-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by mark@Jun 10 2006, 11:09 AM
Exactly! If you were a big homely house frau, I doubt he would have gone out of his way to approach you with his training genius. :lol:


I never offer advice in the gym, as much as I want to sometimes. However, there's a woman at my gym that's training for competition, and her trainer gives her the most fucked up training program. Last night, I was working in on squats with her, and I used that opportunity to point out that her knees were buckling to the inside, then I went into the office and pulled out a copy of that Cressy/Robertson article on glute activation and I gave it to her. I had mentioned it to her trainer already so he could discuss it with her, and he blew me off. I don't think he understood what I was talking about. So, I guess I stepped on his toes a little bit, but I couldn't stand to see it continue.
It's one thing to give unsolicited advice, but if you were able to provide him with an article, research or an explaination of why you are suggesting a different form, it is HIS fault for not at least educating himself and deciding whether or not he chooses to believe it.

This is pure negligence on his part and he is letting his ego get in the way of providing the best service to his clients.

hotinatl
06-11-2006, 01:57 PM
I have gotten unsolicted advice before, and it was bad, bad advice at that.

I let them explain why they are suggesting a different way, then I lay into them WHY I am doing it my way.

If you can just explain your reasoning, it shuts them up and they will stay away from you! It's great to put them in their place.

DeeDee
06-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Gazelle@Jun 10 2006, 02:23 PM
This is what I do too. I don't really do it intentionally, but I guess I am trying to tell people to leave me alone by scowling so much. Everyone probably thinks I'm a major beeyoth.
:lol:
same here. When I'm at the gym, I'm in my zone. One of the guys I know said to me once "you look very unapproachable at the gym" :lol:
Not that it's my intention to look like a cranky b----, but when I'm there, I'm workin' hard and I don't want distractions.

veon
06-11-2006, 06:30 PM
I get the same comments. Either the trainers at my gym are afraid of me, or they think I'm a bitch. Either way, I think they're all idiots the way I see them train their clients.
Apparently I'm one of the few customers who works out regularly and frequently because last week a trainer told me I should fill out a job application because I'm always there. Umm... I wouldn't call 30 min. in the morning and 30-60 min. at night always at the gym. Another trainer told me he never wants to talk to me because I'm always "in a zone", especially during cardio. No :censor: , :censor: hole I'm running sprints you idiot.
A couple days ago he actually tapped me on the arm while I was running with my headphones on! I wanted to turn around and punch him in the face. Next time I'm gonna tell him to step off and even go to the mgmt. I don't go to the gym to chat!

rogmel
06-11-2006, 06:58 PM
What I get more than unsolicited advice is people asking me questions during my workouts, or my friends asking if they can lift with me.....i love my friends, but their goals are different than mine, and they slow me down....I pay a mint for child care and I want to get in and get out.....and they always want to tell me how they don't want to get bulky....and complain about the exersises.....so I have rearranged my workouts so that I do my cardio when my friends are around...but they don't want to do HIIT either :thunder:

Angelkae
06-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by mark@Jun 10 2006, 11:09 AM
... big homely house frau...
:thunder:

smuggie
06-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by hotinatl@Jun 11 2006, 09:57 AM
I have gotten unsolicted advice before, and it was bad, bad advice at that.

I let them explain why they are suggesting a different way, then I lay into them WHY I am doing it my way.

If you can just explain your reasoning, it shuts them up and they will stay away from you! It's great to put them in their place.
Better yet, just tell them to :censor: off. :lol:

smuggie
06-13-2006, 12:10 AM
I'm lucky, no one ever offers me unsolicited advice, except for one guy and he's not a fawktard.

GqArtguy
06-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Just out of curiousity, what if the trainer comes up to you and gives you sound advice? Would you know the difference? Would you give things a shot?

You can know when someone is wrong, but if I were to come up and explain something (and back it up) would you still say fuck off or take it? It could be that you could tell someone to fuck off when they were really correct all along. This attitude is what keeps knowledgable people from actually giving advice, everyone thinks they know what theyre doing.

smuggie
06-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Manny, how many PTs know sweet FA about lifting?

Tony
06-13-2006, 01:08 AM
unsolicited advices are usually bad advices.

GqArtguy
06-13-2006, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by smuggie@Jun 12 2006, 07:47 PM
Manny, how many PTs know sweet FA about lifting?


*raises hand*

And most of the people you read about at t-rag and others have PT certs and were training at local gyms well before they started writing articles. There are some pretty strong and big people who dont have certs but still have wisdom to give as well. Guys up in the strongman crew up in Baltimore and the O-lifters at my gym at Fred's are examples. You dont know who they are, but imagine the advice youre throwing away by being snooty.


unsolicited advices are usually bad advices.

Usually is the operative word. People come up to me when Im training clients or when I train myself but I usually dont tell people anything because I know Ill get an egotistical answer. I dont claim to know all, but on the other hand people with attitudes like their time is too precious to hear someone out are in the end limiting themselves.

Tony
06-13-2006, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by GqArtguy+Jun 12 2006, 08:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GqArtguy @ Jun 12 2006, 08:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-smuggie@Jun 12 2006, 07:47 PM
Manny, how many PTs know sweet FA about lifting?


*raises hand*

And most of the people you read about at t-rag and others have PT certs and were training at local gyms well before they started writing articles. There are some pretty strong and big people who dont have certs but still have wisdom to give as well. Guys up in the strongman crew up in Baltimore and the O-lifters at my gym at Fred&#39;s are examples. You dont know who they are, but imagine the advice youre throwing away by being snooty.



Usually is the operative word. People come up to me when Im training clients or when I train myself but I usually dont tell people anything because I know Ill get an egotistical answer. I dont claim to know all, but on the other hand people with attitudes like their time is too precious to hear someone out are in the end limiting themselves. [/b][/quote]

I agree. I just wanted to make a pumping iron reference with the word "advices". :p

smuggie
06-13-2006, 02:02 AM
Manny, you&#39;re in a very small minority as far as PTs go.

And for the record, I always listen to what the fella I referred to earlier has to say, because it was clear to me the first time he offered me unsolicited advice he knew what he was talking about.

jaleena
06-13-2006, 03:02 AM
If I&#39;ve seen the person lift something heavy before, and they&#39;re trying to add a few lbs to my lift, I&#39;ll try whatever they suggest, even if it feels weird.
If, however, I&#39;ve never seen them before and they&#39;re telling me I shouldn&#39;t be doing something because I&#39;m not tall enough, they can shush.

I might need a more sophisticated selection process if I go to a "normal" gym in the future, traveling or whatever.

veon
06-13-2006, 03:11 AM
I welcome good advice, especially for form.

But the last thing I need are trainers telling me to take my headphones off, right before I start my set, so they can ask me "now what you gonna do with that?" when I pick up a 50 lb barbell.

:thunder:

jaleena
06-13-2006, 03:29 AM
That reminds me of something that happened recently...a big bar (by big, I mean big around, Coke-can diameter) was on the supports of the rack I wanted to use. I was looking at it, wondering what could be done about it, as I wasn&#39;t sure my grip would hold on a bar that big. There was a guy there I could ask, but he was with a client...staring at me, smirking at the giant bar and small girl. I got it moved, surprised at how easy it was, but it was amusing :p

GqArtguy
06-13-2006, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by jaleena@Jun 12 2006, 10:02 PM
If, however, I&#39;ve never seen them before and they&#39;re telling me I shouldn&#39;t be doing something because I&#39;m not tall enough, they can shush.

Arent you too short to press off the regular benches? :lol:

jaleena
06-13-2006, 03:50 AM
No, because I know how to arch. But somebody thinks I&#39;m too short for pullups :ninja:

smuggie
06-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by veon@Jun 12 2006, 11:11 PM
I welcome good advice, especially for form.

But the last thing I need are trainers telling me to take my headphones off, right before I start my set, so they can ask me "now what you gonna do with that?" when I pick up a 50 lb barbell.

:thunder:
Answer:

"Shove it up your ass." :lol:

smuggie
06-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by veon@Jun 12 2006, 11:11 PM
I welcome good advice, especially for form.

But the last thing I need are trainers telling me to take my headphones off, right before I start my set, so they can ask me "now what you gonna do with that?" when I pick up a 50 lb barbell.

:thunder:
That&#39;s a warmup.

RiemmyGirl
06-14-2006, 02:00 AM
So, at the gym doing HIIT, in the resting time after sprint, girl that works there comes up to me and asked are you o.k. did you need a break or something? The thing is she knows what I am doing because she has questioned me in the past about it doing Interval training. I think she was trying to be funny or something.

Erin
06-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Gazelle@Jun 10 2006, 03:23 PM
This is what I do too. I don&#39;t really do it intentionally, but I guess I am trying to tell people to leave me alone by scowling so much. Everyone probably thinks I&#39;m a major beeyoth.
Yes I do that but I did have to lighten up my look after a few arguments w/guys over a squat rack. :rolleyes: One trainer I think sees me take my headphones off and then comes over to say hi to me. I must have two different looks whether I have them on or not. :lol: