PDA

View Full Version : WORKING MY WAY BACK BUT NEED ADVICE!

thaley@frontiernet.net
10-24-2011, 01:54 PM
<<<<THIS IS A REPOST>>>>Hi my name is Tricia, I worked with Erik from January to about may when i found out i had Breast Cancer and had to quit. It has been an emotional rollercoaster to say the least. I had to have Chemo treatments and just had surgery last thursday to remove whats left of the tumor. I will still have to go thru 6 weeks of radiation but that wont start till after i heal. What i am most frustrated about is that thru all the chemicals that have been poured into my body ive gained 5pounds. Everything that i had started to lose while working with Erik i gained back plus some. I was on a steriod which made me bloated and of course crave carbs. I do feel like i was able to keep it under control somewhat cause when i read about other women who had breast cancer and took the same treatment as i did they were saying that they gained 20 +pounds. I just need some help getting back on track. I am so frustrated as right now AGAIN i have been sidetracked untill i heal from my surgery. I had a lumpectomy. Please Please Please...If any of you have any advice on how to get back on track after a layoff and what you did please let me know. After losing my hair and all the other physical stuff ive had to deal with thru this I just want my life back and i want to be lean again! Right now i hate the way i look! (no hair and flabby) yuck!

Thank you for letting me vent!!!:please:

Tricia Haley

mcv
10-24-2011, 02:29 PM
First off - Congrats on getting through all that!! I went through chemo and radiation for breast cancer about five years ago, so I truly do feel for you. Just take it one day at a time and do what you can. I worked with Erik before and after my surgery - we even did a legs only program when I couldn't lift upper body for a while!!

I found that having a program and working out during/after treatment was good for me physically and mentally - I was finally doing something, rather than having stuff done to me.

thaley@frontiernet.net
10-24-2011, 02:58 PM
mcv...I AM CRYING RIGHT NOW! THANK YOU for responding! This is the most frustrating thing ive ever been through! I did continue to exercise when i could but i felt like my body composition has changed. I know Erik is backed up right now and there is probably a waiting list to sign up with him again. Can you tell me what were some of the things you did (exercises)? Did you feel like your body composition changed? Did you gain any weight? What were some of the things you ate that you felt helped you get or keep your body in good condition? My taste for food totally changed when i was on the chemo.. I HATED IT! but now i am through all of that and just have radiation to go. which i wont start that untill i heal from surgery. Did the radiation make you feel weak? Ive heard its a walk in the park conpaired to the chemo! Well i have to sign off for now but thank you from the bottom of my heart for responding! I would love to talk with you over the phone if you would feel comfortable but i understand if you wouldnt. There are just so many questions swirling around in my head and knowing that youve walked in my shoes and have always taken care of your self and thats important to you like it is to me. I would just love to share. Thanks again! You have blessed me! Hope to hear from you soon!

Tricia

mcv
10-24-2011, 03:14 PM
mcv...I AM CRYING RIGHT NOW! THANK YOU for responding! This is the most frustrating thing ive ever been through! I did continue to exercise when i could but i felt like my body composition has changed. I know Erik is backed up right now and there is probably a waiting list to sign up with him again. Can you tell me what were some of the things you did (exercises)? Did you feel like your body composition changed? Did you gain any weight? What were some of the things you ate that you felt helped you get or keep your body in good condition? My taste for food totally changed when i was on the chemo.. I HATED IT! but now i am through all of that and just have radiation to go. which i wont start that untill i heal from surgery. Did the radiation make you feel weak? Ive heard its a walk in the park conpaired to the chemo! Well i have to sign off for now but thank you from the bottom of my heart for responding! I would love to talk with you over the phone if you would feel comfortable but i understand if you wouldnt. There are just so many questions swirling around in my head and knowing that youve walked in my shoes and have always taken care of your self and thats important to you like it is to me. I would just love to share. Thanks again! You have blessed me! Hope to hear from you soon!

Tricia
Glad I can help at all!! Radiation was a total walk in the park compared to chemo! First - it takes like 5 minutes every day. :lol: It took me longer to drive to the hospital that it did to do the treatment!! After 8 months of chemo, that was a welcome change!! Some people get radiation burns but I just got a little red - nothing worse than maybe a minor sunburn. Buy some heavy moisturizer (like Eucerin) and use it all the time to protect your skin.

During chemo food just tasted weird - nothing tasted right, it was all a bit "off". However - peanut butter was my saving grace! :lol: When everything else tasted crappy, I loved citrus flavors, so I totally OD'd on oranges. By the end of chemo, my tastebuds were dead, but it comes back I swear!

I did my treatment in a different order than yours - I had a lumpectomy, then ended up having a revision of the lumpectomy to take a bit more and a full lymph node removal under my right arm bc I had lymph involvement. I started chemo about 6 weeks after surgery for about 8 months, then did 7 weeks of radiation and a year of herceptin. I probably started lifting again about 4 weeks after surgery maybe? I remember not being able to do much upper body, but I had to rehab my right arm so I didn't lose range of motion. I did a legs only program from Erik for maybe 6 weeks, and cardio was fine as long as it wasn't overly jarring.

There is a link to my journal in my signature - I posted quite a bit during my cancer journey. It might be a good read for you!! Most of my treatments were in 2006-2007. I am 5 years out now (!!!!!!!!!!!) and feel really good.