PDA

View Full Version : Soreness

homeschoolmom
05-03-2006, 04:20 PM
I did a heavy lower body day on Sunday. I had added a set to my squats and also added RDL's which I had avoided before because of some previous back issues. Today(3 days later) I am still sore. I know it's a stupid question, but how long is too long in terms of muscle soreness? Is there such a thing as "too" long? Does the continued soreness mean I added too much? Is it detrimental in any way? Am I just overthinking things too damn much??? :rolleyes:

PowerManDL
05-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by homeschoolmom@May 3 2006, 12:20 PM
Am I just overthinking things too damn much??? :rolleyes:
Yes.

homeschoolmom
05-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks! I have a tendency to do this... :p I think it's the "mommy worry" I gained when I had kids.

Sarah
05-03-2006, 10:41 PM
You might or might not be over-thinking. I over-think about everything btw.

For me personally - if my soreness significantly impacts my daily life then I messed up somewhere. For example - if I can't walk up the stairs from the metro or if bending or straightening my arms causes me pain. If this is causing you a significant impact perhaps re-evaluate what you did. Did you go overboard? Did you warm that specific muslce up? Did you stretch sufficiently? etc…Sometimes it could just be random soreness but from my experience there always seems to be a definitive cause.

Buy some Epsom salt. Always does wonders.

Inatic
05-03-2006, 10:49 PM
i usually dont get hit that hard with DOMS unless it was a change up. Often it helps to do lots of stretching and keep moving.

homeschoolmom
05-04-2006, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Inatic@May 3 2006, 06:49 PM
i usually dont get hit that hard with DOMS unless it was a change up. Often it helps to do lots of stretching and keep moving.
I think adding the sets of RDL's and the extra set of squats did me in. My kids have taken great delight in listening to their mommy curse under her breath while she attempts to make her way up and down the stairs. I think I'll drop the extra set of squats next time and maybe cut the number of sets of RDL's. Does that sound reasonable?

PowerManDL
05-04-2006, 02:07 AM
Recovery between workouts is fairly irrelevant. It's the long-term that matters.

homeschoolmom
05-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 3 2006, 10:07 PM
Recovery between workouts is fairly irrelevant. It's the long-term that matters.
PMDL, so what you're are saying is that it's the load over time that is important, and recovery is not necessarily as important. Am I reading that correctly? Could you clarify this please? Thanks!

PowerManDL
05-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by homeschoolmom@May 4 2006, 11:21 AM
PMDL, so what you're are saying is that it's the load over time that is important, and recovery is not necessarily as important. Am I reading that correctly? Could you clarify this please? Thanks!
Well....yes.

Basically, the negative and positive aspects of training are two different things and recover at different rates.

The idea being that the body hangs on to gains from a workout longer than the fatigue persists....so you work beyond your capacity for a period, then back off to let all that stimulus "transform" into gains. What's happening is that the fatigue is dissipating, so the higher state you've built up can now manifest.