PDA

View Full Version : More in-depth explaination

kjinwa
05-03-2006, 09:13 PM
My brother is starting to do the specialization training program from t-nation by Christian Thibaudeau found here: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?art...05-147-training (http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-147-training) I did it for my back a few months ago and had good results, so he wants to try it.

Anyway he wanted more of an explaination about hypertrophy and functional hypertrophy than the article gave. And my lame answer of "whatever it is, it works."

From the article:

Session 1 (Monday in our example) is what we'll call the intensity day. Here we'll focus on heavy lifting in the limit strength (3-5 reps) and functional hypertrophy (6-8 reps) zones.

Session 2 (Wednesday) is the volume day, which uses the functional hypertrophy (6-8 reps), the hypertrophy (8-12 reps), and the strength-endurance (12-15 reps) zones.

Session 3 (Friday) is the density day, which uses a giant set of three exercises performed without any rest. The zones used are the same as in the volume session, but there's no rest between the three exercises.

PowerManDL
05-03-2006, 09:14 PM
What are you wanting explained exactly?

kjinwa
05-03-2006, 09:22 PM
I guess the definition of what they are or the difference between functional hypertoryphy and hypertorphy. Or reasons/benifts for working in those given ranges (6-8 reps vs. 8-12).

PowerManDL
05-03-2006, 09:24 PM
"functional" hypertrophy is nothing but growth of the contractile proteins (myofibrils) in the fiber. Basically it's hypertrophy that allows the muscle to do it's job.

Hypertrophy in general is anything that makes it grow, be it the myofibrils or the energy-support structures and material (the so-called "sarcoplasmic hypertrophy").

Heavier weights build the myofibrils by requiring more tension to be created.

Erik
05-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Hypertrophy can either be functional (increasing the size of the muscle fibers) or non-functional (increasing the volume of the non-contractile elements of the muscle)

Hypertrophy or total hypertrophy or whatever you want to call it would be maximum muscle growth without regard to an increase in strength or power.

Functional hypertrophy would be an increase in muscle size that relies almost exclusively on increasing the size of the muscle fibers themselves. This type of training will also result in strength gains that are related to the muscular gains you make since the actual contractile units are growing.

kjinwa
05-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Thank you.

I'm not very good with asking a question and having it come out right. Your answers were what I was looking for.