PDA

View Full Version : Vertical/Horizontal Push/Pull

sweetie7245
05-03-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm attempting to create a 4 day split, and I want to make sure I have these exercises catorgorized correctly before I start putting everything together.

So, how does this look? Am I missing any important exercises, or do I have any in the wrong place?

Horizontal Pull
Barbell Rows
One-Arm Rows
Seated Cable Row
Face Pulls
T-bar Row
Rack Pulls
Lateral Raise
Rear Delt Raise

Vertical Pull
Pullups
Chinups
Lat Pulldowns
Front Raise
Upright Row
Dumbbell Pullover - ??? not sure about this one, I found conflicting info

Horizontal Push
Flat Barbell Bench Press
Flat Dumbbell Bench Press
Incline Barbell Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
Decline Barbell Bench Press
Decline Dumbbell Bench Press
Pushups

Vertical Push
Military Press
Standing Dumbell Press
Push Press
Arnold Press
Dips
Close Grip Tricep Push Press

Erik
05-03-2006, 09:57 PM
I tend to lump shoulder exercises into a vertical push more often than not, so laterals and front raises, and the like would fall into that category for me.

PowerManDL
05-03-2006, 10:05 PM
If you wanna get real technical about it, raises aren't push moves at all because they're not compound. They're shoulder flexion/abduction :D

Erik
05-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 3 2006, 06:05 PM
If you wanna get real technical about it, raises aren't push moves at all because they're not compound. They're shoulder flexion/abduction :D
Yes, if you 'want to get technical', but as you often say, why complicate what needn't be complicated? :p

I win.

PowerManDL
05-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Dammit. Foiled by my own rationale.

sweetie7245
05-03-2006, 10:12 PM
It must have been wishful thinking that made me think of them as pulls :lol:

Since I don't have a way to do cable rows or lat pulldowns at home, I'm always looking for exercises to substitute for them.

healthnut
05-04-2006, 11:32 PM
I had the same predicament and bought resistance bands that I loop around our powercage. Now I can do lat pull downs and "cable" rows. They work pretty well!

Got them from www.elitefts.com if you're interested.

mackie
05-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by healthnut@May 4 2006, 11:32 PM
I had the same predicament and bought resistance bands that I loop around our powercage. Now I can do lat pull downs and "cable" rows. They work pretty well!

That's creative thinking....

PowerManDL
05-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by healthnut@May 4 2006, 07:32 PM

*cough*

[shameless plug] I sell bands too. www.powerliftingstore.com [/shameless plug]

nikegurl
05-05-2006, 12:25 AM
semi-annoying question warning in advance (proceed with caution)

once you have this routine set up and you use it for 4-6 weeks and feel ready for a change...what sort of things would you fiddle with?

for instance - deads, squats, bench, rows, chins/pulldowns seem like they need to stay put. i also think (but could be wrong) that these exercises should stay in the lower rep range.

so if you want to keep those basics in and you want to keep the rep range on the low end for those...where would it be wise to "fiddle" with things?

PowerManDL
05-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by nikegurl@May 4 2006, 08:25 PM

once you have this routine set up and you use it for 4-6 weeks and feel ready for a change...what sort of things would you fiddle with?

for instance - deads, squats, bench, rows, chins/pulldowns seem like they need to stay put. i also think (but could be wrong) that these exercises should stay in the lower rep range.

so if you want to keep those basics in and you want to keep the rep range on the low end for those...where would it be wise to "fiddle" with things?
Play with the number of sets. Play with the weight. Work up to a max instead of working to get a lot of total reps. Shorten the rests. Alter the assistance work.

There's a whole mess of stuff you can do.

Though, why exactly do you feel the need to change after four weeks?

Leah
05-05-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL+May 4 2006, 08:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PowerManDL @ May 4 2006, 08:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-healthnut@May 4 2006, 07:32 PM
I had the same predicament and bought resistance bands that I loop around our powercage. Now I can do lat pull downs and "cable" rows. They work pretty well&#33;

Got them from www.elitefts.com if you&#39;re interested.
*cough*

[shameless plug] I sell bands too. www.powerliftingstore.com [/shameless plug] [/b][/quote]
SPAM&#33;&#33;&#33; SPAM&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

patience123
05-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Can we make that a stricky (if all the info is correct)? Pleaaaaaaaase.

Edited: is it possible to add hip and quad exerfises too (whcih go under which catagory).

That would be VERY helpful.

Thank you&#33;

healthnut
05-05-2006, 01:05 AM
I would have bought them from you if I only knew&#33; :p

Erik
05-05-2006, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by patience123@May 4 2006, 09:01 PM

Edited: is it possible to add hip and quad exerfises too (whcih go under which catagory).

Thank you&#33;
Were you drinking when you wrote this post? :lol:

patience123
05-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Thunder+May 5 2006, 01:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thunder @ May 5 2006, 01:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-patience123@May 4 2006, 09:01 PM

Thank you&#33;
Were you drinking when you wrote this post? :lol: [/b][/quote]
:lol: No, but it was VERY late at night.

firstchik
07-18-2006, 08:42 PM
I pasted this in my exercise journal so I know exactly what upper body exercises fall into pull and push categories. Is there a push/pull list for lower body as well? I looked for it but couldn&#39;t seem to find it. help&#33;

Thanks&#33;

quickie
07-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by firstchik@Jul 18 2006, 01:42 PM
I pasted this in my exercise journal so I know exactly what upper body exercises fall into pull and push categories. Is there a push/pull list for lower body as well? I looked for it but couldn&#39;t seem to find it. help&#33;

Thanks&#33;
Quad dominant

Squats
Leg Press
Low Step ups
Bulgarian Squats
etc

Hip Dominant

RDLs
CDLs
Pullthroughs
Good Mornings
Leg Curl
etc

firstchik
07-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Would leg extensions be a push?

quickie
07-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by firstchik@Jul 18 2006, 01:50 PM
Would leg extensions be a push?
Leg extensions target the quads.

donnajo
07-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL+May 4 2006, 08:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PowerManDL @ May 4 2006, 08:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nikegurl@May 4 2006, 08:25 PM

Play with the number of sets. Play with the weight. Work up to a max instead of working to get a lot of total reps. Shorten the rests. Alter the assistance work.

There&#39;s a whole mess of stuff you can do.

Though, why exactly do you feel the need to change after four weeks? [/b][/quote]
Your body adapts to the reps, sets, rest , tempo variables much faster than the actual exercises. There are many ways to change it up playing with these variables. As PMDL has said. So you don&#39;t have to rework your whole program every 4 weeks. Just tweak it.