PDA

View Full Version : Bench Technique Question



DeeLovely79
05-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Yes I should probably know this by now but I don't. I was benching pretty heavy today (well heavy for me anyway) and my back really started arching now is this signal that I'm too heavy on the weights or that my form is off? At first I tried putting my feet up on the bench and even though my back wasn't arching as much that seem to make the weights harder so I went back to a feet flat on the ground position

PowerManDL
05-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Arching is fine as long as your shoulders and butt stay on the bench.

Leah
05-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Don't bench w/ your feet on the bench

DeeLovely79
05-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 3 2006, 07:34 PM
Arching is fine as long as your shoulders and butt stay on the bench.
They were on, just barely but they were still on the bench. Thanks for the quick response.

smuggie
05-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Do not put your feet on the bench. :eek:

And yes, you should be arching your back. It's one of the components of good benching form.

Brandi
05-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Hmm good to know. I noticed I was doing that last night.

Jypsie
05-04-2006, 12:25 AM
While we are on the subject...where should the bar end up when you are benching? I was once told nipple level (granted, some nipples are higher than others...) but I have heard armpit level as well. Help please :)

jaleena
05-04-2006, 12:41 AM
I go for the spot where by boobs meet my ribs...everybodys sweet spot is a bit different, though.

DeeLovely79
05-04-2006, 12:48 AM
I aim for the mid chest area (the nipples) but I would like to know the exact answer to this.

PowerManDL
05-04-2006, 12:49 AM
I generally go to the top of the abdomen/bottom of the chest.

But I don't bench for chest development, either.

ShaliHead
05-04-2006, 01:03 AM
It's more comfortable to put my feet on the bench, but alas I shall boycott that also. ;)

Inatic
05-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Don't bench w/ your feet on the bench


Why cant shouldnt you put your feet on the bench (not that I do) but i have seen people do that as well as hold them above the bench.

Kristy
05-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Inatic@May 4 2006, 01:21 AM


Why cant shouldnt you put your feet on the bench (not that I do) but i have seen people do that as well as hold them above the bench.
Its terrible for balance and kills all leg drive.

Not to mention the gheyness factor is extremely high.

Erik
05-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Kristy+May 4 2006, 06:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kristy @ May 4 2006, 06:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Inatic@May 4 2006, 01:21 AM


Why cant shouldnt you put your feet on the bench (not that I do) but i have seen people do that as well as hold them above the bench.
Its terrible for balance and kills all leg drive.

Not to mention the gheyness factor is extremely high. [/b][/quote]
Nice avatar :p

PowerManDL
05-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Kristy@May 4 2006, 06:03 AM
Its terrible for balance and kills all leg drive.

Not to mention the gheyness factor is extremely high.
High Five&#33;

Christine_99
05-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Kristy@May 4 2006, 04:03 AM

Not to mention the gheyness factor is extremely high.
:p :lol: Let&#39;s try to keep the gheyness factor to a dull roar people&#33;&#33;&#33;

I must have bad balance. I would fall off for sure if I tried benching with my feet up.

Mizuno
05-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Does this apply when doing lying tricep extensions as well?

homeschoolmom
05-04-2006, 07:07 PM
No gheyness crap please, my damn feet don&#39;t touch the floor so I have to put &#39;em somewhere don&#39;t I? :p I hate being short. :rolleyes:

fitnesschick
05-04-2006, 07:28 PM
i was wondering too what you do when you are too short for your feet to reach the floor ... eek ... i have to put my feet on the bench as well :oops:

Kristy
05-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Thunder+May 4 2006, 04:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thunder @ May 4 2006, 04:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Kristy@May 4 2006, 06:03 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Inatic@May 4 2006, 01:21 AM


Why cant shouldnt you put your feet on the bench (not that I do) but i have seen people do that as well as hold them above the bench.
Its terrible for balance and kills all leg drive.

Not to mention the gheyness factor is extremely high.
Nice avatar :p [/b][/quote]
I figured you were going to comment on the fact that I said gheyness, but thank you. :p

Kristy
05-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by fitnesschick@May 4 2006, 11:28 AM
i was wondering too what you do when you are too short for your feet to reach the floor ... eek ... i have to put my feet on the bench as well :oops:
Put them up on aerobics blocks. You can also use cinder blocks if you train at home.

fitnesschick
05-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Kristy@May 4 2006, 09:14 PM
Put them up on aerobics blocks. You can also use cinder blocks if you train at home.
i&#39;ll have to scout around the gym. he doesn&#39;t have much for stuff like that - thank you - those are great ideas&#33;

Kristy
05-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by fitnesschick@May 4 2006, 03:00 PM
i&#39;ll have to scout around the gym. he doesn&#39;t have much for stuff like that - thank you - those are great ideas&#33;
No problemo.

jaleena
05-05-2006, 02:51 AM
No, no aerobics steps. Your feet will reach if you arch hard enough.

Kristy
05-05-2006, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by jaleena@May 4 2006, 06:51 PM
No, no aerobics steps. Your feet will reach if you arch hard enough.
And why not?

I agree that most people&#39;s feet will touch if they arch.

jaleena
05-05-2006, 02:58 AM
Because it&#39;s not necessary...and one of the very few perks of being short is that it&#39;s easier to remember to arch well.

Kristy
05-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by jaleena@May 4 2006, 06:58 PM
Because it&#39;s not necessary...and one of the very few perks of being short is that it&#39;s easier to remember to arch well.
Meh, I&#39;m not sure that everyone here is looking to bench with a very tight/high arch. Not to mention many do not know how. I&#39;d rather see someone with blocks under their feet than trying to arch with their butt off the bench standing on their tip toes.

jaleena
05-05-2006, 03:05 AM
I&#39;m not quite 5&#39; tall, I keep my bum on the bench, don&#39;t go on my toes, and reach the floor plenty well...to my knowledge the shortest person on the boards isn&#39;t even 2" shorter than I am, so it&#39;s not like I&#39;m recommending something that non-Liliputians can&#39;t do.

smuggie
05-05-2006, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Kristy@May 4 2006, 11:02 PM
Meh, I&#39;m not sure that everyone here is looking to bench with a very tight/high arch.

I am, but I have a crappy arch. :dry:

Kristy
05-05-2006, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by jaleena@May 4 2006, 07:05 PM
I&#39;m not quite 5&#39; tall, I keep my bum on the bench, don&#39;t go on my toes, and reach the floor plenty well...to my knowledge the shortest person on the boards isn&#39;t even 2" shorter than I am, so it&#39;s not like I&#39;m recommending something that non-Liliputians can&#39;t do.
Just to clarify, I&#39;m not saying that shorter people cannot arch. Just saying that many do not know how.

Pakse
05-05-2006, 03:19 AM
A plate on the floor on each side of the bench might be enough to get a good elevated surface to place the feet. Now that I&#39;m more comfortable with my bench and "arch" I don&#39;t use plates anymore.

Kristy
05-05-2006, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by smuggie+May 4 2006, 07:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (smuggie @ May 4 2006, 07:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Kristy@May 4 2006, 11:02 PM
Meh, I&#39;m not sure that everyone here is looking to bench with a very tight/high arch.

I am, but I have a crappy arch. :dry: [/b][/quote]
No excuses Maureen&#33; You&#39;re a tall freak like me. We&#39;re supposed to have hyoooge arches. :p

smuggie
05-05-2006, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Kristy+May 4 2006, 11:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kristy @ May 4 2006, 11:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by smuggie@May 4 2006, 07:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Kristy@May 4 2006, 11:02 PM
Meh, I&#39;m not sure that everyone here is looking to bench with a very tight/high arch.

I am, but I have a crappy arch. :dry:
No excuses Maureen&#33; You&#39;re a tall freak like me. We&#39;re supposed to have hyoooge arches. :p [/b][/quote]
Not if you have a really short torso. :dry:

And don&#39;t get me started on my gorilla arms. :dry:

Kristy
05-05-2006, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by smuggie+May 4 2006, 07:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (smuggie @ May 4 2006, 07:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Kristy@May 4 2006, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by smuggie@May 4 2006, 07:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Kristy@May 4 2006, 11:02 PM
Meh, I&#39;m not sure that everyone here is looking to bench with a very tight/high arch.

I am, but I have a crappy arch. :dry:
No excuses Maureen&#33; You&#39;re a tall freak like me. We&#39;re supposed to have hyoooge arches. :p
Not if you have a really short torso. :dry:

And don&#39;t get me started on my gorilla arms. :dry: [/b][/quote]
I have a very short torso and extremely long legs and arms.

PowerManDL
05-05-2006, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Kristy@May 4 2006, 11:48 PM
I have a very short torso and extremely long legs and arms.
Pics are required for objective evaluation.

smuggie
05-05-2006, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Kristy@May 4 2006, 11:48 PM
I have a very short torso and extremely long legs and arms.
I have skyscraper legs too.

Maybe we&#39;re long lost twins.

fitnesschick
05-05-2006, 04:03 AM
well i laid down on the bench to see again ... and my the tips of my toes reach the floor. can you please describe to me proper bench form ... i&#39;m pretty sure i must be doing it wrong because i don&#39;t have much of an arch and really no way of evaluating my form.

Kristy
05-05-2006, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by fitnesschick@May 4 2006, 08:03 PM
well i laid down on the bench to see again ... and my the tips of my toes reach the floor. can you please describe to me proper bench form ... i&#39;m pretty sure i must be doing it wrong because i don&#39;t have much of an arch and really no way of evaluating my form.
This is great article:

http://ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=16&a=8

Kristy
05-05-2006, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by smuggie@May 4 2006, 07:57 PM
I have skyscraper legs too.

Maybe we&#39;re long lost twins.
If regular length jeans look like capris on you, we may well be long lost twins.

Kristy
05-05-2006, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 4 2006, 07:51 PM
Pics are required for objective evaluation.
Aren&#39;t you from Lyle&#39;s?

If so, you&#39;re supposed to say JPEGS.



;)

smuggie
05-05-2006, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by fitnesschick@May 5 2006, 12:03 AM
well i laid down on the bench to see again ... and my the tips of my toes reach the floor. can you please describe to me proper bench form ... i&#39;m pretty sure i must be doing it wrong because i don&#39;t have much of an arch and really no way of evaluating my form.
Your scapula should be retracted so you&#39;re pushing them into the bench.

This helps create stability.

Your lower back should be arched with your butt touching the bench. It should stay on the bench throughout the whole movement.

On the concentric you should be driving your feet into the floor to help you push the bar up.

This article will fill in the details:

Step-up, Set-Up and Bench (http://ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=16&a=8)

smuggie
05-05-2006, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Kristy+May 5 2006, 12:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kristy &#064; May 5 2006, 12:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-smuggie@May 4 2006, 07:57 PM
I have skyscraper legs too.

Maybe we&#39;re long lost twins.
If regular length jeans look like capris on you, we may well be long lost twins. [/b][/quote]
Yup, they do, not to mention most sports pants.

Kristy
05-05-2006, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by smuggie@May 4 2006, 08:12 PM
Your scapula should be retracted so you&#39;re pushing them into the bench.

This helps create stability.

Your lower back should be arched with your butt touching the bench. It should stay on the bench throughout the whole movement.

On the concentric you should be driving your feet into the floor to help you push the bar up.

This article will fill in the details:

Step-up, Set-Up and Bench (http://ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=16&a=8)
Link stealer. :lol:

smuggie
05-05-2006, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Kristy+May 5 2006, 12:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kristy @ May 5 2006, 12:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-smuggie@May 4 2006, 08:12 PM
Your scapula should be retracted so you&#39;re pushing them into the bench.

This helps create stability.

Your lower back should be arched with your butt touching the bench. It should stay on the bench throughout the whole movement.

On the concentric you should be driving your feet into the floor to help you push the bar up.

This article will fill in the details:

Step-up, Set-Up and Bench (http://ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=16&a=8)
Link stealer. :lol: [/b][/quote]
Maybe, but at least I added a little original material to my post. :p

Kristy
05-05-2006, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by smuggie+May 4 2006, 08:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (smuggie @ May 4 2006, 08:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Kristy@May 5 2006, 12:13 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-smuggie@May 4 2006, 08:12 PM
Your scapula should be retracted so you&#39;re pushing them into the bench.

This helps create stability.

Your lower back should be arched with your butt touching the bench. It should stay on the bench throughout the whole movement.

On the concentric you should be driving your feet into the floor to help you push the bar up.

This article will fill in the details:

Step-up, Set-Up and Bench (http://ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=16&a=8)
Link stealer. :lol:
Maybe, but at least I added a little original material to my post. :p [/b][/quote]
That would require work on my part.

PowerManDL
05-05-2006, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Kristy@May 5 2006, 12:10 AM
Aren&#39;t you from Lyle&#39;s?
Oh great, this is starting already.

And I say whatever I want&#33; So nah&#33;

Kristy
05-05-2006, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 4 2006, 08:18 PM
Oh great, this is starting already.

And I say whatever I want&#33; So nah&#33;
Fine. I require JPEGs. B)

PowerManDL
05-05-2006, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Kristy+May 5 2006, 12:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kristy @ May 5 2006, 12:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PowerManDL@May 4 2006, 08:18 PM
Oh great, this is starting already.

And I say whatever I want&#33; So nah&#33;
Fine. I require JPEGs. B) [/b][/quote]
I&#39;ll show you mine if you show me yours.

smuggie
05-05-2006, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Kristy+May 5 2006, 12:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kristy @ May 5 2006, 12:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by smuggie@May 4 2006, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Kristy@May 5 2006, 12:13 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-smuggie@May 4 2006, 08:12 PM
Your scapula should be retracted so you&#39;re pushing them into the bench.

This helps create stability.

Your lower back should be arched with your butt touching the bench. It should stay on the bench throughout the whole movement.

On the concentric you should be driving your feet into the floor to help you push the bar up.

This article will fill in the details:

Step-up, Set-Up and Bench (http://ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=16&a=8)
Link stealer. :lol:
Maybe, but at least I added a little original material to my post. :p
That would require work on my part. [/b][/quote]
Lazy biotch. :lol:

fitnesschick
05-05-2006, 04:31 AM
wow&#33; who knew ... i have been doing a crappy ass bench&#33; :baby:
thank you so much for the great information&#33;

Kristy
05-05-2006, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by smuggie+May 4 2006, 08:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (smuggie @ May 4 2006, 08:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Kristy@May 5 2006, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by smuggie@May 4 2006, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Kristy@May 5 2006, 12:13 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-smuggie@May 4 2006, 08:12 PM
Your scapula should be retracted so you&#39;re pushing them into the bench.

This helps create stability.

Your lower back should be arched with your butt touching the bench. It should stay on the bench throughout the whole movement.

On the concentric you should be driving your feet into the floor to help you push the bar up.

This article will fill in the details:

Step-up, Set-Up and Bench (http://ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=16&a=8)
Link stealer. :lol:
Maybe, but at least I added a little original material to my post. :p
That would require work on my part.
Lazy biotch. :lol: [/b][/quote]
Indeed.

Kristy
05-05-2006, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL+May 4 2006, 08:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PowerManDL @ May 4 2006, 08:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Kristy@May 5 2006, 12:19 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-PowerManDL@May 4 2006, 08:18 PM
Oh great, this is starting already.

And I say whatever I want&#33; So nah&#33;
Fine. I require JPEGs. B)
I&#39;ll show you mine if you show me yours. [/b][/quote]
I will have to ponder that for a while.

PowerManDL
05-05-2006, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Kristy+May 5 2006, 12:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kristy @ May 5 2006, 12:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 4 2006, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Kristy@May 5 2006, 12:19 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-PowerManDL@May 4 2006, 08:18 PM
Oh great, this is starting already.

And I say whatever I want&#33; So nah&#33;
Fine. I require JPEGs. B)
I&#39;ll show you mine if you show me yours.
I will have to ponder that for a while. [/b][/quote]
Just say "no".

It&#39;s a lot easier than going through the motions of non-committal bullshit.

quickie
05-05-2006, 04:46 AM
I must interject and say nice avi Kristy. ;)

Inatic
05-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Does any feel that it is harder to do the set up, etc when using db&#39;s? If so, any suggestions, other than using a bar?

I&#39;ll have to pay attention to what my form has been. Though i think it&#39;s been fine. Earlier this week, without a spotter, i struggeld to get the 55lbs db&#39;s up (once in place/up, I was ok. Not sure that it is as easy to follow all the set ups using heavy db&#39;s. It&#39;s hard enough to get them into place.

Will have to try the bar again some time. I have a harder time with the bar, then db&#39;s, it hits my shoulders.

Leah
05-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Inatic@May 5 2006, 04:24 AM
Does any feel that it is harder to do the set up, etc when using db&#39;s? If so, any suggestions, other than using a bar?

I&#39;ll have to pay attention to what my form has been. Though i think it&#39;s been fine. Earlier this week, without a spotter, i struggeld to get the 55lbs db&#39;s up (once in place/up, I was ok. Not sure that it is as easy to follow all the set ups using heavy db&#39;s. It&#39;s hard enough to get them into place.

Will have to try the bar again some time. I have a harder time with the bar, then db&#39;s, it hits my shoulders.
Not sure what you mean exactly but....I press differently w/ DB&#39;s than I bench w/ a BB. I still have a good arch and my scapula is retracted...but I have less leg drive w/ DB&#39;s. If you&#39;re doing 55&#39;s you sound to be doing ok to me :blink:

Definitely get back to a BB and practice your form. My shoulders are stronger than my chest and I have to be diligent w/ my form to make sure they are not taking over. Review the links that were posted to check your form.

homeschoolmom
05-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Holy crap&#33; What a difference the arch makes&#33; Thanks Kristy and Smuggie for the link to the Rugged article. I was able to bench more and felt waaay more stable doing it. You guys rock&#33; :)

DeeDee
05-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Inatic@May 5 2006, 03:24 AM
Does any feel that it is harder to do the set up, etc when using db&#39;s? If so, any suggestions, other than using a bar?

I&#39;ll have to pay attention to what my form has been. Though i think it&#39;s been fine. Earlier this week, without a spotter, i struggeld to get the 55lbs db&#39;s up (once in place/up, I was ok. Not sure that it is as easy to follow all the set ups using heavy db&#39;s. It&#39;s hard enough to get them into place.

Will have to try the bar again some time. I have a harder time with the bar, then db&#39;s, it hits my shoulders.
[QUOTE]

do you mean only with the first rep? If that&#39;s what you&#39;re getting at, then I agree, if I&#39;m doing really heavy benches with db&#39;s then I usually have someone help me set the first rep esp. if I&#39;m on a decline, but there&#39;s no struggle with reps after that.

PowerManDL
05-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by homeschoolmom@May 7 2006, 06:01 AM
Holy crap&#33; What a difference the arch makes&#33; Thanks Kristy and Smuggie for the link to the Rugged article. I was able to bench more and felt waaay more stable doing it. You guys rock&#33; :)
Now it&#39;s time to go get that bench shirt.

DeeLovely79
05-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by smuggie@May 4 2006, 11:57 PM
I have skyscraper legs too.

Maybe we&#39;re long lost twins.
Actually long lost triplettes&#33;&#33;

PinkGlitter86
05-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by DeeLovely79+May 7 2006, 03:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DeeLovely79 @ May 7 2006, 03:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-smuggie@May 4 2006, 11:57 PM
I have skyscraper legs too.

Maybe we&#39;re long lost twins.
Actually long lost triplettes&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
Quadruplets...short torso, looooooong legs. :dry:

VERY helpful thread&#33;&#33;&#33; :clap:

DeeDee
05-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by PinkGlitter86+May 7 2006, 03:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PinkGlitter86 &#064; May 7 2006, 03:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by DeeLovely79@May 7 2006, 03:48 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-smuggie@May 4 2006, 11:57 PM
I have skyscraper legs too.

Maybe we&#39;re long lost twins.
Actually long lost triplettes&#33;&#33;
Quadruplets...short torso, looooooong legs. :dry:

[/b][/quote]
...better make that quints&#33; :p

Little1
09-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Your scapula should be retracted so you're pushing them into the bench.

This helps create stability.

Your lower back should be arched with your butt touching the bench. It should stay on the bench throughout the whole movement.

On the concentric you should be driving your feet into the floor to help you push the bar up.

This article will fill in the details:

Step-up, Set-Up and Bench (http://ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=16&a=8)

The link appears to be dead. Does anyone have another way to view it

smuggie
09-19-2011, 01:04 AM
The link appears to be dead. Does anyone have another way to view it

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/powerlifting-articles/step-up-set-up-and-bench/

Little1
09-19-2011, 11:41 AM
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/powerlifting-articles/step-up-set-up-and-bench/

Thank you!:clap: