PDA

View Full Version : HIIT on bike

CraveMuscle
05-03-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm kind of limited on my options for HIIT b/c the elliptical creates searing pains in my knees the next day, we don't have steppers of any kind at the gym I'm using tomorrow, and I can't run every time I do HIIT b/c of the stress on my knees and ankles.

so, if I'm going to do it on the stationary bike, which I know isn't optimal, but work with me here, do I increase the resistance during the work periods or do I just pick a moderate resistance for the whole thing and increase my pedaling speed during the work periods?

Leah
05-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Actually....I like the bike for intervals....if you have to do indoors, tread is best probably but I'm not that co-ordinated so I use the bike.

You need to increase the level and your speed...it still needs to kick your ass and just going as fast as you can at say level 6 isn't going to cut it....make it difficult to do while still increasing your RPM

Brandi
05-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Leah@May 3 2006, 04:51 PM
Actually....I like the bike for intervals....if you have to do indoors, tread is best probably but I'm not that co-ordinated so I use the bike.

Tru dat.

Jypsie
05-04-2006, 12:22 AM
I do most of my HIIT on the bike and I crank up the resistance and the speed. The only problem I have is the seats on the stationary bikes are really uncomfortable :( And I get weird looks from my fellow gym-goers because I start swearing under my breath around the 7th interval :lol:

Dammit! Where is my witch smilie?!?!

CraveMuscle
05-04-2006, 01:33 AM
great answers. thanks!!!!

I feel like a wuss b/c so many do track sprints while I'm creating sweat puddles under my bum on the bike for cardio :unsure:

Cali
05-04-2006, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by CraveMuscle@May 3 2006, 08:33 PM
great answers. thanks!!!!

I feel like a wuss b/c so many do track sprints while I'm creating sweat puddles under my bum on the bike for cardio :unsure:
The bike always makes my ass burn when I use it for HIIT! :lol:

Forged
05-04-2006, 05:13 AM
Do you have access to a spin bike versus a stationary?

Sportsgirl
05-04-2006, 08:24 AM
I've only ever used the treadmill once for HIIT... and I didn't feel I got a hard enough workout. I always use the stationary bike now and occasionally the elliptical trainer. In the working intervals I crank it up to the highest level and pedal as fast as I can.

Erik
05-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Sportsgirl@May 4 2006, 04:24 AM
I've only ever used the treadmill once for HIIT... and I didn't feel I got a hard enough workout.
I find that interesting. If you've maxed out the treadmill and it's not hard enough, start upping the incline. Eventually it's going to kick your ass.

Sportsgirl
05-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@May 4 2006, 10:06 PM
I find that interesting. If you've maxed out the treadmill and it's not hard enough, start upping the incline. Eventually it's going to kick your ass.
Yeah.... I thought about that, but I'm a little scared of sprinting so fast in a confined space. I think I'd fall off and hurt myself. I like to save that kind of HIIT for outside - it's safer!

Erik
05-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Sportsgirl@May 4 2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah.... I thought about that, but I'm a little scared of sprinting so fast in a confined space. I think I'd fall off and hurt myself. I like to save that kind of HIIT for outside - it's safer!
I agree with that.

The treadmill can be a little daunting when you have it maxed out sometimes. Plus nothing beats outdoor sprinting.

I too find bike HIIT to be pretty hard.

JivaGirl
05-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Forged@May 3 2006, 11:13 PM
Do you have access to a spin bike versus a stationary?
On the spin bike, do you set your resistance level and keep it the same during the recovery, or do you take it all the way off and spin it out?

CraveMuscle
05-04-2006, 12:54 PM
no I don't have access to spin bikes. I only have recumbant (sp?) bikes and the bikes that you are more elevated and bent over like a spin bike. I worry about my back positioning on those though and arching over too much.

Sportsgirl
05-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by JivaGirl@May 4 2006, 10:20 PM
On the spin bike, do you set your resistance level and keep it the same during the recovery, or do you take it all the way off and spin it out?
I reckon you would treat it the same as a computerised bike -- crank up the resistance and pedal as hard out as you can. For the recovery, ease off on the resistance...

3KO
05-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@May 4 2006, 07:48 AM
I agree with that.

The treadmill can be a little daunting when you have it maxed out sometimes. Plus nothing beats outdoor sprinting.

I too find bike HIIT to be pretty hard.
Good to know. I was going to ask you about using the bike. I definately haven't "maxxed out the treadmill" but was looking to change it up a bit. I'm going to use a spin bike and can only imagine the burn I will feel in my legs. :(

sweetpea_123
05-05-2006, 04:33 PM
I never even thought about using the bike to do HIIT. I'm going to try it. If you use a spin bike, do you think it'd be okay to climb (out of the saddle)?

Forged
05-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by sweetpea_123@May 5 2006, 09:33 AM
I never even thought about using the bike to do HIIT. I'm going to try it. If you use a spin bike, do you think it'd be okay to climb (out of the saddle)?
If you get out of the saddle, make sure you crank the gear up. Bobbing out of the saddle with no resistance and high RPMs is useless and dangerous.

LUVPINK222
05-05-2006, 07:40 PM
I just started doing HIIT on the bike this week as opposed to the elliptical. It is a KILLER! I LOVE it! well not really......

3KO
05-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by sweetpea_123@May 5 2006, 11:33 AM
I just got back from doing HIIT on the bike. It was a great workout. I came out of the saddle and cranked the tension so it was like I was riding through mud. My legs were wobbly when I got off. :clap: