PDA

View Full Version : Squat question



dare
05-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Squats w/BB behind head vs. Front squats....

Just wondering if the positioning of the bar makes any difference as to which muscles are being worked? It's still working all glutes, quads & hams right?

thanks.

Erik
05-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by dare@May 4 2006, 10:11 AM
Squats w/BB behind head vs. Front squats....

Just wondering if the positioning of the bar makes any difference as to which muscles are being worked? It's still working all glutes, quads & hams right?

thanks.
Front squats would I believe hit the quads harder than back squats. But yes, assuming appropriate depth all three of those muscles are going to be involved.

PowerManDL
05-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Squatting works the legs.

Amy
05-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 4 2006, 10:34 AM
Squatting works the legs.
Keepin it simple I see :p

dare
05-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 4 2006, 08:34 AM
Squatting works the legs.
Really? hmm, I didn't know that! :p

PowerManDL
05-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by dare@May 4 2006, 10:55 AM
Really? hmm, I didn't know that! :p
And knowing is half the battle.

mark
05-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 4 2006, 07:58 AM
And knowing is half the battle.
GO JOE!!!

kjinwa
05-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Does anyone use a pad on the bar when doing front squats? The bar really digs into my collarbone.

mark
05-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by kjinwa@May 4 2006, 08:21 AM
Does anyone use a pad on the bar when doing front squats? The bar really digs into my collarbone.
Since I have my camera now...yayayayay!!....I'll try to take a picture today of a way to relieve that problem.

Leah
05-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by mark@May 4 2006, 11:42 AM
Since I have my camera now...yayayayay!!....I'll try to take a picture today of a way to relieve that problem.
Sweet :D

kjinwa
05-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by mark@May 4 2006, 08:42 AM
Since I have my camera now...yayayayay!!....I'll try to take a picture today of a way to relieve that problem.
So, this means you will be in it???

:love:

mark
05-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by kjinwa@May 4 2006, 09:55 AM
So, this means you will be in it???

:love:
Yeah...I think it will have to be me, since I've never seen anyone of the other employees in the gym even approach the squat rack. Even the "bodybuilder" trainer. So, I'm pretty sure they've never done a front squat. :lol:

wantitbad
05-04-2006, 05:51 PM
kjinwa-How do you hold the bar when ur under it? Arms crossed or in the catch postion

kjinwa
05-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by wantitbad@May 4 2006, 10:51 AM
kjinwa-How do you hold the bar when ur under it? Arms crossed or in the catch postion
I've tried both. If I hold it in the catch position, I'm limited on the amount of weight I can do becuase my shoulders seem to give out easily in this position. In the arms crossed position, the bar digs into my collarbone. I have an almost freakish one that sticks out more than most.

wantitbad
05-04-2006, 06:08 PM
i used to have that same problem but now when i front squat(which is rare) i hold in the catch postion more a few reasons....1.works the core better 2. i still do hang cleans so it makes sense..........ok back to you when you used the catch postion were you sure to get ur elbows high?

kjinwa
05-04-2006, 06:36 PM
I thought I was. I'll try them again Sat. and really concentrate on keeping my elbows higher.

Would adding some cleans or hang cleans help? I currently do push presses.

PowerManDL
05-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by kjinwa@May 4 2006, 02:36 PM
Would adding some cleans or hang cleans help? I currently do push presses.
Actually you'll find it works better the other way around.

wantitbad
05-04-2006, 06:50 PM
depends what your goals are? I do hang cleans just cuz i love them.....but i think a lil explosive training never hurt anyone

clsupnorth
05-05-2006, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by mark@May 4 2006, 10:42 AM
Since I have my camera now...yayayayay!!....I'll try to take a picture today of a way to relieve that problem.
Why, what's wrong with using the pad? is it a sissy thing?

Leah
05-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by clsupnorth@May 5 2006, 02:34 AM
Why, what's wrong with using the pad? is it a sissy thing?
Yes.

:p

IMO...the pad makes things a bit unstable, you can't feel the bar properly and that always affects intensity and/or form. You need to be able to feel the bar and keep your upper body tight while squatting. You need to think about more than just your legs when squatting :)

kjinwa
05-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by wantitbad@May 4 2006, 11:50 AM
depends what your goals are? I do hang cleans just cuz i love them.....but i think a lil explosive training never hurt anyone
I'll be leaning out for the summer, but after that I'll be looking to gain size and strength. :flex:

I like doing anything thing that makes the trainers at the gym say "I have my own opinions on girls doing those" to their clients doing parallel squats and 40 min. of bicep curls.

I practiced a few last night at work using the catch grip and keeping my elbows high. It felt good, I must have been letting my elbows drop the last few times I've done them.

....patiently waiting for Mark's pic.....

janey
05-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by kjinwa@May 5 2006, 09:54 AM

....patiently waiting for Mark's pic.....
He didn't like the way it turned out...men. :lol:
I bet he's going to take another one today.

mark
05-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Here's the picture I promised. Not the most flattering pose. LOL

janey
05-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by mark@May 5 2006, 10:21 AM
Here's the picture I promised. Not the most flattering pose. LOL
Oh sure...you just wouldn't show it to me. :dry:

Erik
05-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Uh oh. Someone's in trouble.

mark
05-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by janey@May 5 2006, 08:26 AM
Oh sure...you just wouldn't show it to me. :dry:
I wasn't naked like you requested, so I wasn't sure you wanted to see this one. ;)

Leah
05-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by mark@May 5 2006, 11:32 AM
I wasn't naked like you requested, so I wasn't sure you wanted to see this one. ;)
You're supposed to always show the girl first mark :finger:

PowerManDL
05-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Leah@May 5 2006, 11:47 AM
You're supposed to always show the girl first mark :finger:
Now now.

Equal rights and all.

kjinwa
05-05-2006, 03:52 PM
:clap: Looks pretty good to me

Can you describe what you're doing? It looks like the bar is resting a little lower on your shoulders (more on the top of your arms). Are you using straps to help hold the bar in place?

Be sure to take a new pic for Janey later.
you could always send a copy to me too

clsupnorth
05-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Leah@May 5 2006, 07:14 AM
Yes.

:p

IMO...the pad makes things a bit unstable, you can't feel the bar properly and that always affects intensity and/or form. You need to be able to feel the bar and keep your upper body tight while squatting. You need to think about more than just your legs when squatting :)
I agree it makes things a bit unstable, but I'll have to remain a sissy, I guess. My skin bruises really easily, and if I have any pressure on my shoulders, I come away with these awful red hemorrhaging marks that take days to go away. Learned that years ago trying to use the standing calf raise machine. Even with the pad, I sometimes still get light marks, but it would look like massive hickeys on my shoulders if I didn't use it.

And multiple hickeys on one's shoulders might draw attention.

CraveMuscle
05-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by clsupnorth+May 5 2006, 01:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clsupnorth @ May 5 2006, 01:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Leah@May 5 2006, 07:14 AM
Yes.

:p

IMO...the pad makes things a bit unstable, you can&#39;t feel the bar properly and that always affects intensity and/or form. You need to be able to feel the bar and keep your upper body tight while squatting. You need to think about more than just your legs when squatting :)
I agree it makes things a bit unstable, but I&#39;ll have to remain a sissy, I guess. My skin bruises really easily, and if I have any pressure on my shoulders, I come away with these awful red hemorrhaging marks that take days to go away. Learned that years ago trying to use the standing calf raise machine. Even with the pad, I sometimes still get light marks, but it would look like massive hickeys on my shoulders if I didn&#39;t use it.

And multiple hickeys on one&#39;s shoulders might draw attention. [/b][/quote]
:lol: :lol:

cocoa71
05-05-2006, 07:35 PM
In regards to the back squat..I&#39;m using the rack and I believe I have the proper form now (back straight, legs shoulder length apart) but I find my upper back hurts the next day...Is this a matter of my grip being too close/too far or just a flexibility issue?

(My grip is past my shoulder, elbows down.)

janey
05-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Leah@May 5 2006, 10:47 AM
You&#39;re supposed to always show the girl first mark :finger:
Yep, the doghouse is a lonely place.

:o2:

Brandi
05-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by janey@May 5 2006, 12:37 PM
Yep, the doghouse is a lonely place.

:o2:
:lol:

Leah
05-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by clsupnorth+May 5 2006, 02:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clsupnorth @ May 5 2006, 02:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Leah@May 5 2006, 07:14 AM
Yes.

:p

IMO...the pad makes things a bit unstable, you can&#39;t feel the bar properly and that always affects intensity and/or form. You need to be able to feel the bar and keep your upper body tight while squatting. You need to think about more than just your legs when squatting :)
I agree it makes things a bit unstable, but I&#39;ll have to remain a sissy, I guess. My skin bruises really easily, and if I have any pressure on my shoulders, I come away with these awful red hemorrhaging marks that take days to go away. Learned that years ago trying to use the standing calf raise machine. Even with the pad, I sometimes still get light marks, but it would look like massive hickeys on my shoulders if I didn&#39;t use it.

And multiple hickeys on one&#39;s shoulders might draw attention. [/b][/quote]
I get &#39;em too...comes w/ the territory ;)

clsupnorth
05-06-2006, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Leah@May 5 2006, 04:41 PM
I get &#39;em too...comes w/ the territory ;)
Are you saying you get REAL hickeys on your shoulders? Shame on you, then&#33; Tsk, Tsk&#33; Who have you been cavorting about with? :p

P.S. Like your new avi.

Leah
05-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by clsupnorth@May 5 2006, 09:30 PM
Are you saying you get REAL hickeys on your shoulders? Shame on you, then&#33; Tsk, Tsk&#33; Who have you been cavorting about with? :p

P.S. Like your new avi.
lmao....nooooooo....I haven&#39;t had a real hicky since I was a teenager....no spank you&#33;&#33;&#33;

clsupnorth
05-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Spanking.... now there&#39;s a topic&#33;&#33;&#33;

CraveMuscle
05-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by cocoa71@May 5 2006, 02:35 PM
In regards to the back squat..I&#39;m using the rack and I believe I have the proper form now (back straight, legs shoulder length apart) but I find my upper back hurts the next day...Is this a matter of my grip being too close/too far or just a flexibility issue?

(My grip is past my shoulder, elbows down.)
I don&#39;t agree with the back straight part.

I was taught that your lumbar / lower back should have an arch and you sit back / stick your butt out as if you were sitting in a chair.

I was also taught to stick out your chest and squeeze your shoulder blades together.

Also, for grip: I have mine a little closer than some people do b/c of shoulder reasons/comfort since a really far apart grip stresses a past injury. However, I the BB weight shouldn&#39;t be pulling back on your wrists, either. I used to do this and would develop severe brachialplexis (sp?) pain shooting down my arm until I learned how to just lightly hold the BB in place.