PDA

View Full Version : working out at home



cm13cm
05-04-2006, 03:01 PM
i was wondering how many of you workout at home exclusivly? what kind of equipment do you own? i have a stationary bike and i run for cardio, and a bench and some free weights for building muscle.

peanutbutternjelly
05-04-2006, 03:37 PM
I prefer to work out at home. I have a bench press, exercise bike, dumb bells, barbells, etc. But on days when I have to do pull ups, chin ups, lat pulldowns, etc, I have to work out at the gym. I don't like my gym because it's an all ladies gym. I feel like I am an animal at the zoo when I work out because most of the other ladies at the gym use the cardio stuff. And I get stared at alot. I never have a problem with having to wait to use stuff though.

When I joined that particular gym back in October I was a cardio queen; hadn't yet discovered the "real" way to work out.

hemi
05-04-2006, 04:00 PM
I work out in my home due to the fact that we live in the country. We have a universal gym machine, bench, dumbells( 20's,25's,30's 40's and 50's), bar with a crappy selection of weight, treadmill, stepper and stationary bike. Definitely going to have to buy some weight for the barbell cuz I'm at a standstill with some exercises.

homeschoolmom
05-04-2006, 04:37 PM
We have a bench, DB's, BB and plates, power cage, treadmill, stationary bike, an old Ultralift and my hubby's :censor: Bowflex. I :love: working out at home. With the kids and homeschooling, I know that I would never make it to a gym.

andromeda
05-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Holy Moly homeschool mom! LOL! That sounds like a great setup!

I have several kids, too, and I really enjoy being able to work out at home...I don't have nearly the amount of stuff you do though! :)

cm13cm
05-04-2006, 04:51 PM
i wish i could have all that stuff too. i live in a 2br apartment. i just don't have the space. my dh is a total neat freak and hates "clutter". so all of my stuff is in a closet and i bring it out when i use it each time and put it away each time.

Inatic
05-04-2006, 06:29 PM
I trained at home for two yrs before i started training at a gym as well. I still train at home at least one day a week as my gym is quite a drive for me to get to (and a morning inconvience to Dh, who gracefully helps out atleast two very early mornings a week)

I have a treadmill, powerblocks (stackable Db's) , legpress/hip sled, and the Pro Spot 500 (http://www.prospotfitness.com/pages/p500.html )(awesome grab and go technology) Love all my "toys"

WHen i first started training, i had many different Db's, barbell with assort wts, a bench.

Strive2Define
05-04-2006, 06:52 PM
I do have equipment at home to workout with(lat tower, leg extension machine, bench, barbell with 200 lbs weight, dbs,treadmill, squat rack)
but in all honesty, I prefer to workout at the gym...I just seem to have more motivation to push myself harder if I have people around me "scrutinizing" me..even if they really aren't, I think they could be. I do use my equipment on occasion like today.I also find there are usually too many distractions at home(phone, kids dogs etc..)

SAGE
05-20-2006, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't mind to weight train at home. For cardio I can just go outside and run, sprint, whatever.

I have db's, 5 ft oly bar (I need plates though), step-up bench, chin up bar (which I need to install). I'm thinking anything else I need would be:

adjustable bench
plates

And I'm good to go! :) I'd love to have a squat rack but wouldn't fit in my place. :dry:

Bravogrl27
05-20-2006, 06:14 PM
I was working out at home (dumbbells mostly) and just recently got back into the gym. I still condition at home but prefer my time in the gym . . . If I had a pimped out setup like some people at home then it might be different, but I like being able to pretty much do any weights workout in the gym and not have to try to figure out an "at home" alternative that might not work as well--especially w/squats.

Mandy
05-21-2006, 11:39 PM
I work out at home, and will work out in my apartment once I move out. At home we have a treadmill, cheapo eliptical, cheapo stationary bike and I have the bowflex select tech db's, barbell with a bench and weights. Once I move out I'm going to invest in a treadmill for myself there and see if I can find a power cage in my budget.

Of course, I"m hoping and praying that I find a nice 2 bedroom apartment in the area of my grad school because I know I won't make it to the gym. I'm expecting to have too much going on to drive 20 minutes to a gym I wouldn't have to pay for (old college) or I won't have the money to pay a monthly fee just for the moves that wound have me outgrow what I have.

riley1105
05-22-2006, 11:14 AM
I also work out at home since there are very few gyms near my house. We have a bench press, Another bench press machine that has a high and low cable and most recently my fiancee purchased a cable crossove machine. We also have dumbbells from 1lb (dogs like to carry them around) up to 95 lbs, lots of wieght plates and a tredmill. The biggest factor in buying our house last year was that it had enough room for all of our gym equipment :rolleyes: some people think we have issues.

liberty
05-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by riley1105@May 22 2006, 06:14 AM
I also work out at home since there are very few gyms near my house. We have a bench press, Another bench press machine that has a high and low cable and most recently my fiancee purchased a cable crossove machine. We also have dumbbells from 1lb (dogs like to carry them around) up to 95 lbs, lots of wieght plates and a tredmill. The biggest factor in buying our house last year was that it had enough room for all of our gym equipment :rolleyes: some people think we have issues.
Do those same people that have issues with your need for gym space fret about not having enough room for their big screen tv? (Just a thought :lol: )

Tony
05-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by cm13cm@May 4 2006, 10:01 AM
i was wondering how many of you workout at home exclusivly? what kind of equipment do you own? i have a stationary bike and i run for cardio, and a bench and some free weights for building muscle.
I do.

I have:

- Power Cage
- Bar
- ~ 550 lbs of plates
- dumbbells from 5's to 110's
- Full set of jump stretch bands
- Box squat box
- glute ham raise
- reverse hyper
- elliptical trainer

riley1105
05-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by liberty@May 22 2006, 05:13 PM
Do those same people that have issues with your need for gym space fret about not having enough room for their big screen tv? (Just a thought :lol: )
Yeah some of them. I think my real estate agent found it kind of amusing... Not exactly your normal request when looking for a house.

Lynda
05-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by andromeda@May 4 2006, 11:40 AM
Holy Moly homeschool mom! LOL! That sounds like a great setup!

I have several kids, too, and I really enjoy being able to work out at home...I don't have nearly the amount of stuff you do though! :)
Yay for the Mom's :clap:
I'm in the same boat...
at home I have, small collection of dumbbells
2 lbs (no they are not Pink!) :train:
3 lbs
5 lbs
8 lbs
10 lbs
15 lbs
One of those "Mr. T" bars from the 80's (steel with a "bendy" spring in the middle for chest exercise)
El Cheapo Bike
El Cheapo Elliptical
and a basic Sears model treadmill

I also have a basket of various stretchy bands and ankle weights etc...

Oh, also a plain flat bench for doing tricep dips, etc...

I like working out at home because you can look like crap and sweat like a pig! not to mention do laundry all at the same time! :wave:

Lust4FreeTime
05-24-2006, 06:38 PM
I do: about 6 days a week, mostly really early in the morning

I loved the gym but got sick of waiting for all my favorite things if I was there at primo time.

I have amassed: dumbells, bowflex, stairmaster, treadmill, spinning bike, recumbant bike, and Concept rower. For the last 15 years, every year if I got a bonus and no piles of expenses needed dealing with, I bought one good piece of equipment. Refinished the basement last year and added a tv, Tivo, dvd, and vcr.

But I miss the social life at the gym--some days there was, some days there wasn't. But even on the most boring days, someone else provided inspiration or a new move to try.

mcv
05-25-2006, 12:31 PM
My DH and I converted almost our entire basement into a gym, and have added to it regularly. We have:
DB's 10lbs to 90lbs in 5 lb increments
Squat rack
2 benches
Incline bench station
treadmill
recumbant bike
Leg extenion machine
Leg curl machine
Multi station that has a lat pulldown, leg press, chest press, pullup bar
Hack squat machine
Bicep/Tricep machine

We had a lot of fun putting it together! I love not having to leave the house to work out!

dewaite
05-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by mcv@May 25 2006, 08:31 AM
My DH and I converted almost our entire basement into a gym, and have added to it regularly. We have:
DB's 10lbs to 90lbs in 5 lb increments
Squat rack
2 benches
Incline bench station
treadmill
recumbant bike
Leg extenion machine
Leg curl machine
Multi station that has a lat pulldown, leg press, chest press, pullup bar
Hack squat machine
Bicep/Tricep machine

We had a lot of fun putting it together! I love not having to leave the house to work out!
Wow!!!!! now that's a set up :clap:
I would never leave the house either

Inatic
05-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by dewaite+May 25 2006, 08:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dewaite @ May 25 2006, 08:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mcv@May 25 2006, 08:31 AM
My DH and I converted almost our entire basement into a gym, and have added to it regularly. We have:
DB&#39;s 10lbs to 90lbs in 5 lb increments
Squat rack
2 benches
Incline bench station
treadmill
recumbant bike
Leg extenion machine
Leg curl machine
Multi station that has a lat pulldown, leg press, chest press, pullup bar
Hack squat machine
Bicep/Tricep machine

We had a lot of fun putting it together&#33; I love not having to leave the house to work out&#33;
Wow&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; now that&#39;s a set up :clap:
I would never leave the house either [/b][/quote]
Me neither other than I much prefer to train with my partner :) Have to leave home for that