PDA

View Full Version : Plie Squat

clsupnorth
05-05-2006, 06:38 AM
Does this move do anything worthwhile, or is it useless and better substituted with something else?

Bravogrl27
05-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by clsupnorth@May 5 2006, 01:38 AM
Does this move do anything worthwhile, or is it useless and better substituted with something else?
I was actually wondering about that earlier when I was reading through Oxygen earlier today (not sure which issue) . . .It sounds like part of a multiple choice question test: "Is this useful or not--Y or N" . . . I was always bad at those kind of tests...

Leah
05-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Um...well...a wide leg squat or sumo squat definitely does something, lol...and is worth doing but...a "plie" squat I think is done w/ a DB between the legs...probably not enough loading to make it worth a main exercise. If you move to the squat rack and use a bar you'll be good.

Mizuno
05-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Leah@May 5 2006, 12:08 PM
Um...well...a wide leg squat or sumo squat definitely does something, lol...and is worth doing but...a "plie" squat I think is done w/ a DB between the legs...probably not enough loading to make it worth a main exercise. If you move to the squat rack and use a bar you'll be good.
I have a friend who did something to her shoulder and cant lift a bar over her head to do the squats with the preloads and the 45 lb bar on the squat rack is to heavy for her, what should she be doing?

Leah
05-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Mizuno@May 5 2006, 08:14 AM
I have a friend who did something to her shoulder and cant lift a bar over her head to do the squats with the preloads and the 45 lb bar on the squat rack is to heavy for her, what should she be doing?
I have a hard time believing that someone can't squat a 45 lb bar. She may need to work on it a bit considering form but...it's not that heavy. If she's ever picked up a child, she can probably squat an empty bar. Get her practicing form w/o any weight. I have never had to teach a person to squat w/ less than a bar....and I've taught complete beginners and even older ladies who've never seen the inside of a gym before.

Tina
05-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Well for me, I know my legs are strong but I can't seem to get past a certain weight when it comes to lifting the bar over my head to squat. My arms are very weak. :dry: It's very frustrating.

Leah
05-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Tina@May 5 2006, 08:29 AM
Well for me, I know my legs are strong but I can't seem to get past a certain weight when it comes to lifting the bar over my head to squat. My arms are very weak. :dry: It's very frustrating.
Get thy legs to a squat rack. Seriously...I don't know how anyone can get a decent squat when you have to lift the bar....you're limited by your upper body strength.

Tina
05-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Leah@May 5 2006, 08:30 AM
Get thy legs to a squat rack. Seriously...I don't know how anyone can get a decent squat when you have to lift the bar....you're limited by your upper body strength.
ya I've been working out at home minus the squat rack :dry: Someday I will buy one. I was thinking it's time to start a new routine at the gym again. But then that means more $$ to spend. Rambling..

Leah
05-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Tina@May 5 2006, 08:38 AM
ya I've been working out at home minus the squat rack :dry: Someday I will buy one. I was thinking it's time to start a new routine at the gym again. But then that means more $$ to spend. Rambling..
this is just my own opinion but....unless I had a COMPLETE set up at home...I would never not train at a gym. That is the ONE thing I do for myself that is more important than anything else. If I can't train well...none of the other stuff matters.

Mizuno
05-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Maybe she is just scared of the bar, I will work on her, thanks!!!

krispy1138
05-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Mizuno@May 5 2006, 07:33 AM
Maybe she is just scared of the bar, I will work on her, thanks!!!
The first time I used the bar it felt heavy on my back and I had to get used to it. Maybe have her keep the bar on her back a bit to get used to the feeling? And widen her stance a bit for balance?

kjinwa
05-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Leah@May 5 2006, 05:43 AM
this is just my own opinion but....unless I had a COMPLETE set up at home...I would never not train at a gym. That is the ONE thing I do for myself that is more important than anything else. If I can't train well...none of the other stuff matters.
:D Great post

I look forward to going to the gym to train. It's my escape from everything else.

clsupnorth
05-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Leah@May 5 2006, 07:08 AM
Ok, this echos what I was thinking. I was doing them with a DB between the legs, and realized that I just wasn't feeling anything happening anymore. Since I'm over at the squat rack all the time now anyways, i'll just add this in over there as a sumo squat now.

Incidentaly, I love the feeling of that bar across my shoulders! Makes me feel big and tough. Especially cause in our gym the squat rack is right next to the ab/stretching area where all the other girls are.

Tina
05-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Leah@May 5 2006, 08:43 AM
Ya, opinion noted. I have been thinking about getting back into it. B)

And as for the plie squats, it's the same for me, I don't feel them doing anything anymore