PDA

View Full Version : slow eccentrics, and the mental aspect of PR's

jaleena
05-06-2006, 06:46 PM
First, the slow eccentrics. I've heard plenty of good about them for hypertrophy purposes, increasing TUT, but what about strength purposes? Any benefits there? Also, are they good for strengthening tendons/connective tissues?

Second, how do you get around the mental aspect of a big PR? Like today, I dl'd 20lbs more than my previous PR, and felt I had a little more in me...but 10lbs more wasn't about to happen. I got it off the floor, maybe halfway up, and decided it wasn't worth grinding because I wasn't going to lock it out. I think I just psyched myself out...how do I avoid this? Or should I, even? Should I just take my PR's and leave, and set more the next workout?

PowerManDL
05-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by jaleena@May 6 2006, 02:46 PM
First, the slow eccentrics. I've heard plenty of good about them for hypertrophy purposes, increasing TUT, but what about strength purposes? Any benefits there? Also, are they good for strengthening tendons/connective tissues?

Good for getting used to handling super-heavy weights.

Second, how do you get around the mental aspect of a big PR? Like today, I dl'd 20lbs more than my previous PR, and felt I had a little more in me...but 10lbs more wasn't about to happen. I got it off the floor, maybe halfway up, and decided it wasn't worth grinding because I wasn't going to lock it out. I think I just psyched myself out...how do I avoid this? Or should I, even? Should I just take my PR's and leave, and set more the next workout?

Steroids.

jaleena
05-06-2006, 10:06 PM
1. For that, you mean eccentric-only slow eccentrics, and not something like the M&M "controlled explosive rep" slow eccentric, where you have your usual fast concentric, too?

2. Thanks, but not this week. :p

PowerManDL
05-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by jaleena@May 6 2006, 06:06 PM
1. For that, you mean eccentric-only slow eccentrics, and not something like the M&M "controlled explosive rep" slow eccentric, where you have your usual fast concentric, too?

2. Thanks, but not this week. :p
1. Ya

2. Your loss.

jaleena
05-07-2006, 01:10 AM
Any strength-related value to the M&M thing, tendon or otherwise?

You're just seeing how long until somebody bites on using, aren't you? :p
I'm probably your prime candidate, too :blink:
No fear of needles, good access to needles, ability to self-inject... :uuhh:

PowerManDL
05-07-2006, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by jaleena@May 6 2006, 09:10 PM
Any strength-related value to the M&M thing, tendon or otherwise?

You're just seeing how long until somebody bites on using, aren't you? :p
I'm probably your prime candidate, too :blink:
No fear of needles, good access to needles, ability to self-inject... :uuhh:
Explosive reps are always good reps. Bear in mind that explosive doesn't always mean externally fast, either.

And no, I'm just teasing you. I'm actually very anti-steroid when it comes to females.

jaleena
05-09-2006, 03:21 AM
I'm at it again. 10lb Push Press PR flew up. Another 5 got about half-way, twice.
Serious mental problem with the big PR's...I don't understand :mad:

PowerManDL
05-09-2006, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by jaleena@May 8 2006, 11:21 PM
I'm at it again. 10lb Push Press PR flew up. Another 5 got about half-way, twice.
Serious mental problem with the big PR's...I don't understand :mad:
Why worry then? You already hit a 10 lb PR.

jaleena
05-09-2006, 03:31 AM
Because it was easy. I had more in me, physically. And I couldn't get it, mentally. While this does mean I should have it next time, it seems like it's holding me back...plus, I really don't want this to happen at a meet. I need to figure this out before July.

PowerManDL
05-09-2006, 03:34 AM
Two possibilities then.

1) You fatigued yourself in the attempt, even if it didn't "feel" like it.

2) You don't know how to psyche up properly for a max.

wrt 2, I know that if I'm really trying to bang out a new PR, I don't shy away from loud, angry music, or ephedrine. Visualization can help a lot as well. Neural drive is directly related to arousal.

Just don't do it too often or you'll get intimate with CNS inhibition.

jaleena
05-09-2006, 03:39 AM
I psyche up fine for anticipated PR's. It's the ones that take me by surprise, that I didn't think I'd be looking at until after I finished the set before, that get me.
By then, it's too late for ephedrine...the gym music's been good lately (as it always is when it isn't Sunday :dry: )...maybe better visualisation?

PowerManDL
05-09-2006, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by jaleena@May 8 2006, 11:39 PM
I psyche up fine for anticipated PR's. It's the ones that take me by surprise, that I didn't think I'd be looking at until after I finished the set before, that get me.
By then, it's too late for ephedrine...the gym music's been good lately (as it always is when it isn't Sunday :dry: )...maybe better visualisation?
It's hard to convey.

The "stuff" - ephedrine, music, visualizing, all that - is just part of the whole mindset you have to get into.

It's a way of just...letting go that's really hard to describe. Needless to say, hitting a 10 lb PR, even unexpected, is only going to fuel that fire....if you're already at that point, you won't really need anything else to keep going.

You'll know you did it because you'll really feel beat up and fatigued afterwards.

jaleena
05-09-2006, 03:50 AM
I don't know. I felt awesome and still super-focused after the 10lb PR...unracked the next weight, and it didn't even feel right, so much heavier. Maybe I had worn myself out? After the first attempt, I mentally crashed...tried again, but wasn't as focused, wasn't expecting to hit the lift like I was the 1st attempt, so of course I missed that one.
I had nothing left for pushing afterwards, no dips for me. Everytihng felt fatigued and a little pumped, despite the low reps.

PowerManDL
05-09-2006, 03:52 AM
that's what I mean. You probably fatigued yourself early.

Though sufficient arousal can overcome that.

For example...on deadlift/squat days that involve max attempts, people just know not to talk to me. I'm on another planet.

I actually scared a girl I know last week on the heavy squat day. She said hi to me three times, and I didn't even realize she'd spoken to me until the next day when she asked why I was so "scary looking".

jaleena
05-09-2006, 03:56 AM
:lol:
People don't talk to me after I've touched the bar. Other than that, they might talk, and I may or may not hear them. If I do, I may or may not recognise it as English :oops:

Guy on another planet=intense. Girl on another planet=airhead :p

Although I wasn't spaced at all tonight...I was helping my form coach with his board press workout during my RI's. Maybe that had something to do with it? Look at his five plates and wonder why I'm there?

Erik
05-09-2006, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 8 2006, 11:52 PM
I actually scared a girl I know last week on the heavy squat day. She said hi to me three times, and I didn't even realize she'd spoken to me until the next day when she asked why I was so "scary looking".
It's the goatee.

PowerManDL
05-09-2006, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Thunder@May 9 2006, 12:08 AM
It's the goatee.
It's really not a goatee at the moment though. It's become almost a full beard, but without the moustache.

Sportsgirl
05-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 9 2006, 01:04 PM
Neural drive is directly related to arousal.

I've experienced this :lol: :lol:

PowerManDL
05-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Sportsgirl+May 9 2006, 07:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sportsgirl @ May 9 2006, 07:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PowerManDL@May 9 2006, 01:04 PM

I&#39;ve experienced this :lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
Pervert.

Sportsgirl
05-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL+May 9 2006, 10:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PowerManDL @ May 9 2006, 10:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Sportsgirl@May 9 2006, 07:04 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-PowerManDL@May 9 2006, 01:04 PM

I&#39;ve experienced this :lol: :lol:
Pervert. [/b][/quote]
I can&#39;t help it :innocent:

jaleena
05-11-2006, 02:40 AM
I&#39;m petitioning for a labotomy after tonight&#39;s front squats. :curse:
It&#39;s like I&#39;m having some weird "body good/head bad" phenomenon...seems like they&#39;d work together, but no. :suicide:

PowerManDL
05-11-2006, 02:46 AM
If you&#39;d stop being a jerk you&#39;d do better.

jaleena
05-11-2006, 02:52 AM
:confused:
I was nice to the others at my gym tonight, even my dork who always propositions me&#33; And I was nice on Monday night, I helped a guy with his board press workout. And I totally could have flattened the guy who ran over my car with his truck on Saturday, but I was polite.
Maybe I&#39;m not being enough of a jerk? :ban:

PowerManDL
05-11-2006, 02:54 AM
Did I say jerk? I meant stop being gay.

jaleena
05-11-2006, 02:57 AM
At least that one makes sense. Except, clearly, I don&#39;t know how :oops: If I did, I wouldn&#39;t be having this problem.