PDA

View Full Version : Front Squats.

Pandora
05-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Front Squats. Having a huge problem with these. I don't feel like I can hold the bar in front of me. It either crushes my clavicle or hurts my arms (bruises them). And I feel like I am going to drop it at any moment and I only squat like 1/4 way down if that. I feel very unsteady.

What am I doing wrong? I hate these. I get upset when I try them because I never can get them. So, I switch them to back squats (ass to grass) and can double the weight.

Someone told me to keep my elbows up so the bar cannot fall, but that doesn't do a damn thing. I still feel unsteady and just wrong.

Any tips?

Thanks.

quickie
05-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Elbows up and chest high works quite well. :)

You can also try the Sting Ray.

http://www.qfac.com/gear/stingray.html

jaleena
05-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Have you tried the "cross your heart" method?

Pandora
05-06-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm so frustrated. I just cannot keep the bar where it needs to be. I cannot even get it off the bar. My husband has to put the barbell on me. Then I struggle to get a good hold on it. Then I attempt a squat. The barbell slides or feels just totally unstable and I get pissed, curse a lot, and do back squats anyway.

I think these are my most hated exercise.

I do keep my elbows high, though... it doesn't help. Grrr..

Pandora
05-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by jaleena@May 6 2006, 02:30 PM
Have you tried the "cross your heart" method?
Yes... and when I do that I can hardly grip the barbell with my hands.

No matter how I do it feels like my wrists will break.

Pandora
05-06-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm being such a baby. :baby: I just hate not being able to do something I want to do. And I am not a patient learner.

jaleena
05-06-2006, 07:33 PM
You don't grip it with that method. Just rest your fingertips on your shoulders, over the bar. No wrist involvement at all.

Pandora
05-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by jaleena@May 6 2006, 02:33 PM
You don't grip it with that method. Just rest your fingertips on your shoulders, over the bar. No wrist involvement at all.
I see. I have tried that, too. But I wasn't sure how I was supposed to hold the bar at that point. Does it just sit in the crook of your elbows?

Do you normally have to reduce the weight you use for front squats? I can hold 180 on my back with no issues.. but that much on my arms and chest? No way.

p-funk
05-06-2006, 07:38 PM
as stated, you aren't supposed to be gripping the bar and having the pressure on your wrists. the bar is on your shoulders and your hands are keeping it in place. I tell people to keep their elbows pointed foreward somewhere between 7 and 9 o'clock. Anything lower and you are placing strain on your wrists and your elbows will be to low that you will either loose the bar to the front or jam your arm on your knee and suffer a bad injury. Any higher and you end up cutting off your breathing.

that said, if you are going to hold the bar in a racked position, you need to really work on your flexibility. it isn't easy to squat like this, especially with good weight. the more you work on your flexibillity and the more you perform the squats, the better you will be.

Robben
05-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Pandora, you could do a ZERCHER Squat instead... Here's how:

Set a bar in a power rack at about waist height. Squat down and wrap your arms under the bar so you're holding the bar in the crook of your elbows. Your elbows should be about shoulder-width apart and each hand should tightly grasp the opposite arm or grasp your other fist. Stand up with the bar and take a few steps back from the rack. Spread your feet several inches wider than shoulder width and hold the bar tight against your torso. Keep your abs pulled in and your back arched as you squat down slowly until your elbows touch your knees. Pause for a second, then slowly stand back up. Do 3-6 reps per set.

If you work on your flexibility, you'll eventually be able to start with the bar resting on the floor.

Your Glutes and Quad will love ya for doing this exercise... Squeeze those Glutes and thrust those hips forward when doing the movement... :lol:

p-funk
05-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Pandora@May 6 2006, 02:34 PM
I see. I have tried that, too. But I wasn't sure how I was supposed to hold the bar at that point. Does it just sit in the crook of your elbows?

Do you normally have to reduce the weight you use for front squats? I can hold 180 on my back with no issues.. but that much on my arms and chest? No way.
it is rare to see people front squat more then their back squat. Mine isn't close to my back squat. It is very demanding to squat like this.

jaleena
05-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Yes, you have to use less weight for front squats. I use about 70% as much, I remember Thunder saying somewhere that roughly 2/3 is normal.

The bar still sits on your shoulders with the "cross your heart" method. If it's in the crook of your elbows, it's a Zercher squat...

Pandora
05-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Ok, I think I get it. I'm trying to use too much weight to start and obviously need to learn to stabilize the bar against my shoulders/chest first.

You all rock. Thank you!!

p-funk
05-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Pandora@May 6 2006, 02:47 PM
Ok, I think I get it. I'm trying to use too much weight to start and obviously need to learn to stabilize the bar against my shoulders/chest first.

You all rock. Thank you!!
yup, start light. they are different exercises. It would be like first doing an incline bench press and trying to do it with the weight that you use on the flat bench press and then getting pissed off because it is so much harder. they are the same...but not really.

Leah
05-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by p&#045;funk+May 6 2006, 03:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (p-funk @ May 6 2006, 03:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Pandora@May 6 2006, 02:34 PM
I see. I have tried that, too. But I wasn&#39;t sure how I was supposed to hold the bar at that point. Does it just sit in the crook of your elbows?

it is rare to see people front squat more then their back squat. Mine isn&#39;t close to my back squat. It is very demanding to squat like this. [/b][/quote]
Mine is :dry:

Pandora...I&#39;m sure this has been said by now...I only skimmed...but, the bar needs to be on your shoulders...basically if you can&#39;t feel it against your throat, you can probably bring it up more...and you&#39;re not gripping...your hands are just the to hold it in place....when I front squat Oly style I have only two fingers touching the bar for stability.

CraveMuscle
05-06-2006, 08:28 PM
I use a DB and cross my arms over the horizontally placed DB.

does anyone else do this?

jaleena
05-06-2006, 08:31 PM
No, that hurt just thinking about it :o
DB (or kettlebell) on each shoulder, seen that.

CraveMuscle
05-06-2006, 08:32 PM
no. not 2 DB&#39;s. just one. you grip it in the middle with both hands, arms crossed.

jaleena
05-06-2006, 08:36 PM
I know what you meant, but there&#39;s no way I&#39;m putting a 125+lb db across my throat. There&#39;s no way I&#39;d be able to keep it there if I did, either. Even if I were going for massive reps, there&#39;d be at least 95lbs...not happening.

Leah
05-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by jaleena@May 6 2006, 04:36 PM
I know what you meant, but there&#39;s no way I&#39;m putting a 125+lb db across my throat. There&#39;s no way I&#39;d be able to keep it there if I did, either. Even if I were going for massive reps, there&#39;d be at least 95lbs...not happening.
Yeah....I don&#39;t see how a DB is easier than a bar :unsure:

jaleena
05-06-2006, 08:43 PM
I can&#39;t imagine the bruises from that. With the bar, it&#39;s largely resting on muscle, just a bit on the bone...seems like the db would be squarely on the bone.

Trying to think about the exact positioning more...seems like the handle would be across my mouth? Scary.

Leah
05-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by jaleena@May 6 2006, 04:43 PM
I can&#39;t imagine the bruises from that. With the bar, it&#39;s largely resting on muscle, just a bit on the bone...seems like the db would be squarely on the bone.

Trying to think about the exact positioning more...seems like the handle would be across my mouth? Scary.
:laugh: I just had a great visual holding the DB in your mouth :laugh:

jaleena
05-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Supposedly the muscles of the jaw are capable of the greatest concentric force of any voluntary muscle in the body...so I was told in a biology class.
Guess that&#39;d be one way to hold it. Like a doggy with a bone :lol:

CraveMuscle
05-06-2006, 08:50 PM
I&#39;m not saying it&#39;s better or more comfortable. it&#39;s just how I learned it. you really can&#39;t do heavy days with the DB b/c you can&#39;t get enough wait, as you&#39;ve noticed. I typically do this for lighter days and use a 35 lb DB. since I can&#39;t hold more than that w/o digging into my shoulders, I&#39;ll superset with leg extensions before it.

I should try the BB.

Blondell
05-06-2006, 08:58 PM
I tried full front squats yesterday for the 1st time. I can&#39;t w/o today I&#39;m so sore. It&#39;s a beautiful thing. :lol:

PowerManDL
05-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by jaleena@May 6 2006, 04:49 PM
Supposedly the muscles of the jaw are capable of the greatest concentric force of any voluntary muscle in the body...so I was told in a biology class.
Guess that&#39;d be one way to hold it. Like a doggy with a bone :lol:
try this and tell me how it worked out for you.

jaleena
05-06-2006, 11:47 PM
I wasn&#39;t the one suggesting the technique, I was just trying to make it work :innocent:

Gazelle
05-08-2006, 11:28 AM
I tried em and I love em&#33; Hope I&#39;m sore tomorrow. Still need to figure out the right wrist position, because my left wrist was strained ...

Leah
05-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Gazelle@May 8 2006, 07:28 AM
I tried em and I love em&#33; Hope I&#39;m sore tomorrow. Still need to figure out the right wrist position, because my left wrist was strained ...
I like your avatar :)

Gazelle
05-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Leah@May 8 2006, 07:42 AM
I like your avatar :)
Thanks&#33; That&#39;s me and my woofer. Where&#39;d your avatar go?? It was so pretty. :sad:

donnajo
05-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Jess,
I am doing front squats in my routine right now. I love them. I really feel it in my core too. I have been doing them with about 95 lbs. for 12 reps. So significantly lower in weight from my back squat. I am dropping reps as I go through the month so weight will go up but still not as much as a regular squat. Worry about form before weight.

make sure you keep the elbows high. I let the bar roll down to my finger tips and let it rest there . It does feel awkward at first, but you get used to it. They key is to keep the elbows up and don&#39;t let them drop as you squat. Look straight ahead with chest up . Start with a lower weight and practice form first.

Pandora
05-09-2006, 06:31 PM
All of these tips helped immensely. Thanks, guys. I was ready to stomp my feet, pull my hair, and generally pitch a bitch-fit in the squat rack. Glad that scenario was avoided.