PDA

View Full Version : Rep Ranges

northernstar
05-06-2006, 07:19 PM
I saw this posted on another forum (no, not O2 hehe). The 3-6 rep range is too heavy for a beginner, and the 6-10 rep range is better for gaining muscle mass.
Agree? Disagree? I don't really have an opinion but was wondering what some of the brainiacs around here think.

Pandora
05-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Disagree. Rep ranges are not based on level of training experience.

jaleena
05-06-2006, 07:27 PM
On the one hand, there is a certain benefit to higher reps for true beginners...they need to develop the movement patterns, muscle memory, etc. On the other hand, I couldn't tollerate that stuff. Also, there is something to TUT for hypertrophy...but you've gotta be some kind of special to have the patience required to see hypertrophy results. I'll go for the strength gains, I can see those.
So, my take is that the poster had a point, but I won't be following their advice.

p-funk
05-06-2006, 07:40 PM
begingers need to develop proper technique, general muscle endurance and work capacity, as well as increase tendon strength before progressing to higher intensities.

Erik
05-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by p-funk@May 6 2006, 03:40 PM
begingers need to develop proper technique, general muscle endurance and work capacity, as well as increase tendon strength before progressing to higher intensities.
Similar to what I would have said, so I agree. As well as neuromuscular coordination now that I think about it.

I think a person would progress towards the lower, heavier rep ranges with time.

p-funk
05-06-2006, 08:23 PM
yea, intra/inter muscular coordination is important as well.

and to answer the other question, generically speaking, if you look through most exercise phys. textbooks it is accepted that 6-12 repetitions per set are considered the "hypertrophy" rep range.

Leah
05-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@May 6 2006, 04:21 PM
Similar to what I would have said, so I agree. As well as neuromuscular coordination now that I think about it.

I think a person would progress towards the lower, heavier rep ranges with time.
I agree w/ this too :D

Pandora
05-06-2006, 08:25 PM
I agree with you guys, but just because someone is beginning does not mean they need to be doing like 20 reps of anything (not that the OP said that). I guess I took the post as saying beginners should only do high reps... but looking back, that's not exactly what it says. :lol:

Pandora, stop skimming.

smuggie
05-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Pandora@May 6 2006, 04:25 PM
I agree with you guys, but just because someone is beginning does not mean they need to be doing like 20 reps of anything (not that the OP said that). I guess I took the post as saying beginners should only do high reps... but looking back, that's not exactly what it says. :lol:

Pandora, stop skimming.
Skimmer. :lol:

PowerManDL
05-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by northernstar@May 6 2006, 03:19 PM
I saw this posted on another forum (no, not O2 hehe). The 3-6 rep range is too heavy for a beginner, and the 6-10 rep range is better for gaining muscle mass.
Agree? Disagree? I don't really have an opinion but was wondering what some of the brainiacs around here think.
Sounds about right.