PDA

View Full Version : Dog competitions...

Bravogrl27
05-07-2006, 01:48 AM
still grueling training & discipline . . . So today was Marley's last regular training weekend. Next Sat/Sun will be his first "official" time in the "real" ring . . . just obedience . . . then his next one will be Memorial Day (also just obedience) . . . and then conformation (breed ring) in June . . . Even though it's really not me being examined and watched, it still can be intense sometimes . . . I'm not sure he's ready but this is the only way to get him ready, is to push him into it and the more he does it, the more natural it will become. I'm not sure when I'll ever be personally ready for figure/fitness comps, but methinks some of this is helpful for me mentally . . . even though it's about him, him doing what he's supposed to, etc., I can't help but think there are some parallels to other types of "show" competitions . . . Anyway, wondering if anyone else is into dog shows and if you also do figure/fitness comps?

CraveMuscle
05-07-2006, 01:52 AM
well, I saw one "What Not to Wear" episode on TLC that had a 20 year old woman who showed dogs, and her whole excuse for dressing like an frumpy old lady was that she didn't want to detract from the dogs. :blink:

Stacy and Clinton tried to show her that she could still dress appropriately for her age and look polished and put together w/o being flashy . . .

sorry I can't help more, but I'd thought I'd share . . .

clsupnorth
05-07-2006, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Bravogrl27@May 6 2006, 08:48 PM
still grueling training & discipline . . . So today was Marley's last regular training weekend. Next Sat/Sun will be his first "official" time in the "real" ring . . . just obedience . . . then his next one will be Memorial Day (also just obedience) . . . and then conformation (breed ring) in June . . . Even though it's really not me being examined and watched, it still can be intense sometimes . . . I'm not sure he's ready but this is the only way to get him ready, is to push him into it and the more he does it, the more natural it will become. I'm not sure when I'll ever be personally ready for figure/fitness comps, but methinks some of this is helpful for me mentally . . . even though it's about him, him doing what he's supposed to, etc., I can't help but think there are some parallels to other types of "show" competitions . . . Anyway, wondering if anyone else is into dog shows and if you also do figure/fitness comps?
I'm not one for obedience and conformation, but my two border collies and I compete in agility trials. Gives us both a workout.

Bravogrl27
05-07-2006, 05:45 AM
I'd LOVE to put Marley in agility (he loves his agility tunnel) but my trainer says he's just too young and if I got him jumping right now it could really damage his joints . . . so I have to wait . . . but I love watching the agility shows, especially when they have to weave through poles and do different jumps and retrievals . . . Someday . .. someday . . . B) How long have you been training them in agility? How often do you train them a week? Do you have a special set up in your yard or a place you go to train them?

clsupnorth
05-07-2006, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Bravogrl27@May 7 2006, 12:45 AM
I'd LOVE to put Marley in agility (he loves his agility tunnel) but my trainer says he's just too young and if I got him jumping right now it could really damage his joints . . . so I have to wait . . . but I love watching the agility shows, especially when they have to weave through poles and do different jumps and retrievals . . . Someday . .. someday . . . B) How long have you been training them in agility? How often do you train them a week? Do you have a special set up in your yard or a place you go to train them?
Is your trainer an agility trainer as well? Cause that doesn't make sense to me. Very little of it is jumping, and the jumps that they learn on are set at about 6 inches off the ground. Your dog could step over them easily. All the rest is ramps, tunnels, weaves, etc. Jumping is minimal.
Even once they know the jumps, they only go as high as the dog. So a chihuahua would never jump anything higher than 2 inches, while an afghan's jumps would be set higher. But that's only after a few years. By then your dog's joints would totally have fused.

Also, some agility clubs have "junior agility" for younger dogs. Kinda like the tumbling equivalent for little kids starting gymnastics. Very basic. Gets them used to the equipment.

I started about 5 years ago with my 1st border. Then we got another one as a puppy, and started her in it. They both did it together for about 3 years, then I took about a year and a half off of agility. The dogs (and I) missed it alot, so we started again this last Jan. They hadn't forgotten one thing, knew all the equipment, all the commands.

What kind of dog is marley, anyways? I'm a veterinary technician, and the joints concern is only for larger breeds.

Bravogrl27
05-07-2006, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by clsupnorth@May 7 2006, 12:55 AM
Is your trainer an agility trainer as well? Cause that doesn't make sense to me. Very little of it is jumping, and the jumps that they learn on are set at about 6 inches off the ground. Your dog could step over them easily. All the rest is ramps, tunnels, weaves, etc. Jumping is minimal.
Even once they know the jumps, they only go as high as the dog. So a chihuahua would never jump anything higher than 2 inches, while an afghan's jumps would be set higher. But that's only after a few years. By then your dog's joints would totally have fused.

Also, some agility clubs have "junior agility" for younger dogs. Kinda like the tumbling equivalent for little kids starting gymnastics. Very basic. Gets them used to the equipment.

I started about 5 years ago with my 1st border. Then we got another one as a puppy, and started her in it. They both did it together for about 3 years, then I took about a year and a half off of agility. The dogs (and I) missed it alot, so we started again this last Jan. They hadn't forgotten one thing, knew all the equipment, all the commands.

What kind of dog is marley, anyways? I'm a veterinary technician, and the joints concern is only for larger breeds.
Very cool. I'll have to start looking into agility clubs. Oh no, my trainer is an obedience judge for AKC; she doesn't train for herding, tracking, agility, etc.. Marley is a German Shepherd (large breed). :)

Dane
05-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Hey Bravo!

I used to show my danes in the conformation ring. Then babies (human) intervened. I hope to show again, someday. Here's my best so far--we finished his Hungarian Junior Champion title, before he unfortunately died form intestinal/pancreatic complications.

I've never competed with my own body, but I bet it'd be fun! :)

Dane
05-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Hey Bravo!

I used to show my danes in the conformation ring. Then babies (human) intervened. I hope to show again, someday. Here's my best so far--we finished his Hungarian Junior Champion title, before he unfortunately died form intestinal/pancreatic complications.

Dane
05-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Hey Bravo!

Bravogrl27
05-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Dane@May 7 2006, 04:54 AM
Hey Bravo!

:sad: I can't see your picture . . . damn grimlins still in my pc preventing my views . . .

PinkGlitter86
05-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Ozzy does agility! We both love it...it's just for fun in small local shows, no pressure or anything! One day, though, I would love to show a schnauzer.

ashleyk
05-07-2006, 04:05 PM
I show horses....

clsupnorth
05-07-2006, 05:25 PM
I wish I had a horse..... in the meantime, here are my two babies....

http://www.members.shaw.ca/scottfamilyupnorth/images/together1.JPG

Herding - yeah, we tried that, too. My oldest (she's 9, on the right) is a born natural. She had never even seen sheep before and she took off down the field and started herding them up. The other one is only 5 yrs, and her grandparents are herding dogs in Scotland, but she didn't inherit any of that. She had sheep running right past her and she was more interested in sniffing the manure and barking at the other dogs. Idiot.

DeeDee
05-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by clsupnorth@May 7 2006, 12:25 PM

http://www.members.shaw.ca/scottfamilyupnorth/images/together1.JPG

Herding - yeah, we tried that, too. My oldest (she's 9, on the right) is a born natural. She had never even seen sheep before and she took off down the field and started herding them up. The other one is only 5 yrs, and her grandparents are herding dogs in Scotland, but she didn't inherit any of that. She had sheep running right past her and she was more interested in sniffing the manure and barking at the other dogs. Idiot.
[QUOTE]

What gorgeous b. collies!
I have 2 Australian Shepherds that I like to keep active. My older guy is 10 so I don't drive him too hard anymore, my younger one is 2 and has big time working drive! I hope to get him his 1st obedience title this summer, and start him in agility. His breeder owns a small sheep farm just outside the city, so now that the weather is nicer we'll be going out there regularly for herding - its a hoot. My older guy kinda has so-so herding drive, but the younger one is really keen. It's amazing to see how much instinct they can have.

Robben
05-07-2006, 06:04 PM
I love animals, but tell me again, why is this thread in the training section? :huh:

Brandi
05-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Robben@May 7 2006, 11:04 AM
I love animals, but tell me again, why is this thread in the training section? :huh:
:lol:

PowerManDL
05-07-2006, 06:20 PM
My next article is going to be "Effective Training Cycles for Canines"

Robben
05-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 7 2006, 01:20 PM
My next article is going to be "Effective Training Cycles for Canines"
Got abstracts??? :shades:

Bravogrl27
05-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Robben@May 7 2006, 01:04 PM
Because I felt like it. Party Pooper. :p TEASING. I put it here because it was regarding the parellel between training dogs for comps and training ones self for comps . . . (My question was basically two-fold--to see if anyone trained both themself and also their dog, and if they did then if they thought it was similar mentally as well as the daily discipline. When someone says they are going to try to get their dog to title in obedience, that's a lot of hard work & training involved (especially if you're like me and not allowing the dog to be treat trained, I am religiously against that form of training). The more I train Marley, the more parellels I was just seeing with my own "game plan" . . . anyway, since the emphasis was on training, I put it under training. And dogs do some weight training too--in Utility shows they retrieve dumbbells. :)

Robben
05-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Bravogrl27@May 7 2006, 03:19 PM
Because I felt like it. Party Pooper. :p TEASING. I put it here because it was regarding the parellel between training dogs for comps and training ones self for comps . . . (My question was basically two-fold--to see if anyone trained both themself and also their dog, and if they did then if they thought it was similar mentally as well as the daily discipline. When someone says they are going to try to get their dog to title in obedience, that's a lot of hard work & training involved (especially if you're like me and not allowing the dog to be treat trained, I am religiously against that form of training). The more I train Marley, the more parellels I was just seeing with my own "game plan" . . . anyway, since the emphasis was on training, I put it under training. And dogs do some weight training too--in Utility shows they retrieve dumbbells. :)
You told me... :lol: And so there ya have it - there it is... :p

Bravogrl27
05-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Further breakdown parellels . . . because I just got back from church and am bored/procrastinating doing things I should be doing . . .
Parallels: We have fitness & figure . .. Dogs have "conformation" & various fitness activities (herding, tracking, agility, s & r, etc.). It's amazing to me all that is critiqued when my puppy is put into a stack position . . . and the judging is very similar . . . it's all subjective . . . they want to maintain the best of breed, but it's also subject to whatever the judges preferences are . . . my dog's ears are perfect, but his rear may or may not appear a little high to some . . . I still haven't memmorized all the body part names, but my trainer (also an AKC judge) says he looks excellent . . . I keep him on a really "clean" doggy diet, had to take him off Science Diet, and keep his "figure" in good shape even for a puppy . . . by the time he gets bigger, he'll be more developed in the chest and will have a real muscular build about him that some other shepherds don't have unless their exercised enough. We do HIIT together so that helps him a lot. I also have to be careful to not overtrain him, so I split up his workouts . . . there's a certain combination of things I can't do at the same time (recalls and recall finishes for instance, or else he'll overanticipate in the ring and do the finish before the command) . . . it's just an interesting observation . . . I suppose it's that way with most competitive things, I just never have been a very competitive person (not into shows anyway) . . . And it's hard to watch him be critiqued on his appearance, because there's only so much one can do, a lot of it really goes back to genetics--and if he has the look they are going for.

clsupnorth
05-08-2006, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Robben@May 7 2006, 01:04 PM
No idea - if it got moved, I wouldn't be offended.

Bravogrl27
05-08-2006, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by clsupnorth@May 7 2006, 09:23 PM
No idea - if it got moved, I wouldn't be offended.
I wouldn't be offended either. :cool:

Dane
05-08-2006, 06:51 AM
Yeah, it probably belongs in the Chat section, but whatever. :)

Funny you mention the parallels of dog vs human shows. My dog guru recommends HIIT sprinting for danes, too, lol!