PDA

View Full Version : Running on Sand

poke
05-07-2006, 05:07 AM
This is a dispute between my bf and I: Is it very bad to run on the sand? Maybe not long distances (if your leg muscles could even go very far!) but say for HIIT? My bf says it will tear up the tendons and ligaments in your hips, knees and ankles, I say when done in moderation it can help make them stronger. Any thoughts?

PowerManDL
05-07-2006, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by poke@May 7 2006, 01:07 AM
This is a dispute between my bf and I: Is it very bad to run on the sand? Maybe not long distances (if your leg muscles could even go very far!) but say for HIIT? My bf says it will tear up the tendons and ligaments in your hips, knees and ankles, I say when done in moderation it can help make them stronger. Any thoughts?
It's better than running on pavement or any other hard surface. A lot less damage on sand.

poke
05-07-2006, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 7 2006, 02:20 PM
It's better than running on pavement or any other hard surface. A lot less damage on sand.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for validating. :)

mark
05-07-2006, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by poke@May 6 2006, 10:33 PM
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for validating. :)
Like you said, though, I wouldn't run long distance on it. You're going to have a situation similar to the Nike Free shoe, which you're only supposed to wear as a small part of your total training regimen. Very little support, and needing to stabilize on an uneven surface will wear you out quickly. Great way to build up strength in the feet and around the ankles, though.

poke
05-07-2006, 06:22 AM
That's fine. The beach by my house is only about 100 yds wide and I would get incredibly bored doing laps. :suicide: I was just thinking an HIIT workout here and there.

Mizuno
05-07-2006, 03:03 PM
How wonderful a beach house!!! I am soo jealous!

Chelsinator
05-07-2006, 03:43 PM
I used to run on the sand up near my cottage...

Years ago, I had terrible weak ankles (well, weak LEGS all around to be honest) and I could sprain my ankle doing just about anything (or nothing for that matter) Then I started running on sand and uneven surfaces, and I haven't had and ankle injury since. Even when I misstep and roll my ankle, or roll it or anything, I just can't seem to injure them, even if I wanted to (not that I want to). I am all for training on sand.

Like everyone said though, not long distances. I'm not sure I could even run long distances on sand if I wanted to though. It's a LOT more taxing to run on that kind of surface...you tend to slide a bit.

Bravogrl27
05-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Running on the sand and grass (barefoot) is good for you. I heard awhile ago that some famous track coach had his team do that to prevent injuries. I love running barefoot on the beach, just watch out for shells and jelly fish. It's hard to run in the softer sand/dune area but a great workout.

Oh this makes me want to watch Chariots of Fire . .. I love watching the guys run on the beach; that one guy has the biggest smile on his face . .. that's how I feel when I run, it feels so good . . .

Have fun!

poke
05-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Mizuno@May 8 2006, 12:03 AM
How wonderful a beach house!!! I am soo jealous!
Close, but not really. :( I live in an apartment, around a bunch of other apartment buildings. Most of the shoreline is seawall with giant cement jacks, but the one little beach nearby is the BOMB. :clap: Of course, the island is 2 miles wide most places, and 10 at the widest, so one is never too far from a beach no matter where you live!

jrb1980
05-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah, the beach is only a couple blocks from my house to and now that it is nicer I would like to do HIIT there in the early morning.

ironangel
05-08-2006, 05:25 PM
I have bursitis in my hip from running on pavement long distances. Now when I run I go on sand trails with my dog- it doesnt hurt nearly as much afterward. I did sprints on the sand trails yesterday. I think its better for your joints.

Kristen
05-08-2006, 06:30 PM
My dh and I run pretty much only on dirt trails (no beach around here). I see people running on concrete sidewalks and wonder if their bodies will pay for it eventually.

Chelsinator
05-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Kristen@May 8 2006, 12:30 PM
My dh and I run pretty much only on dirt trails (no beach around here). I see people running on concrete sidewalks and wonder if their bodies will pay for it eventually.
yes.

krispy1138
05-09-2006, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Kristen@May 8 2006, 12:30 PM
Sometimes not even "eventually". Last time I did HIIT outside I ran on concrete and had terrible shin splints for almost a week! Next time I'm running on the dirt path!

Kristen
05-09-2006, 12:13 PM
We've had to be really careful about where we run. Ryan (dh) is in physical therapy right now for shin splints--not because we've run on concrete, but because his feet, according to the doctor, are "deformed". I hope they can get him to the point where he can run for more than ten minutes without pain.

Dirt trails are much kinder, and more interesting, than concrete sidewalks. Fortunately we live in a college town with many parks and hiking trails!