PDA

View Full Version : Pilates, Yoga and the Like

jrb1980
05-08-2006, 04:56 PM
I am thinking about taking a pilates/yoga fusion class once a week over my lunch hour but am torn as to whether there is really any point in doing this. I never stretch as much as I should and think this will force me to do so, and hopefully help strengthen my core; however, a lot of people seem to think it's useless and/or unnecessary. Thoughts?

lchristine100
05-08-2006, 05:12 PM
I love Yoga and Pilates- but if I'd definitely do Yoga over pilates any day just bc I am more into the 'zoning' out aspect of Yoga and clearing my mind. I have been doing Yoga for about a year and have seen a significant improvement in my flexibility which helps me a lot especially since I run. I dont think either class would be useless by any means.. I'd say, try it out and see if you like it and dont give up after the first class- sometimes new things take time to set in and get used to :)

krispy1138
05-08-2006, 05:43 PM
I think a lot of the negative comments were more about the "toning" or building muscle aspects. If you are looking for primarily stretching and improving flexibility, I would go for yoga over pilates.

sweetpea_123
05-08-2006, 07:59 PM
I do some yoga poses for stretching. Stretching is good. :)

jrb1980
05-08-2006, 08:33 PM
I am looking to stretch and improve core strength which is why I like the idea of a fusion class.

Forged
05-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Yoga is grand.

clsupnorth
05-09-2006, 02:56 AM
I really enjoy yoga for the 'mind' factor. Although I'm a real stickler for positioning, so I find my 'mind' factor focused on form more often than not. I find it to be mildly helpful for flexibility. Only because if you are looking for faster results on flexibility, Ii don't think yoga is it.
Pilates is fun, and good for a core, but not nearly strenous enough for anything much other than fun.

andromeda
05-09-2006, 04:30 AM
I think that in addition to helping me be more serene and focused, and helping my asthma TREMENDOUSLY, (I have only use my inhaler once in the last several months after starting a daily yoga practice), it also helps me when I have DOMS-I have noticed a really significant relief when doing yoga on the days I have soreness.

guinness91
05-09-2006, 05:18 AM
yoga/stretching is good....lifting RULES :clap: :flex:

PinkGlitter86
05-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I take a "yogilates" class sometimes. It's more about the whole mind-body connection than anything else (at least, IMO). But it's fun, relaxing, and does stretch ya out.

ladypilot
05-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Pilates kicks my ass. I don't feel like I am doing anything, then the next day I hurt all over! I've tried yoga a few times, but I liked pilates much better. I tried for a long time to get rad abs, and pilates did it for me. Of course now that I spent the last year writing my thesis, I am back to square one on my abs.

andromeda
05-09-2006, 09:29 PM
I love you for using the word rad. :love:

clsupnorth
05-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by andromeda@May 9 2006, 04:29 PM
That is so gnarly.

Blondell
05-10-2006, 01:59 AM
Would yoga class be okay for a low day?

CraveMuscle
05-10-2006, 02:26 AM
it probably depends on the type of yoga. I took power yoga for awhile (don't know the technical term for it) and it was more like a lifting workout than a gentle stretching type of thing. I personally wouldn't do low carb if that's the case.

krispy1138
05-10-2006, 12:12 PM
I also wouldn't do it the same day as heavy weight training. I tried that a few months ago and had to give up the yoga because my legs were just too tired on a training day.

fitmommy
05-10-2006, 01:30 PM
I am a big yoga fan :cool: I have been doing it for 10 yrs now. It just makes me feel good.

I recently started carb cycling. I do my yoga on a medium day, it worked into my schedual better.

Ananda
05-10-2006, 04:10 PM
I practice Ashtanga yoga aka power/flow yoga and it gives me a great workout, esp. core etc. I also love the mental aspect of it. It's great for focus.

EmilytheStrange
05-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by tanya-k@May 10 2006, 09:10 AM
I practice Ashtanga yoga aka power/flow yoga and it gives me a great workout, esp. core etc. I also love the mental aspect of it. It's great for focus.
Let me preface this by saying I know almost nothing about yoga. So, I'm thinking about doing it on Sundays to help me relax, stretch those tight muscles, and improve flexibility. Would Ashtanga yoga be a good choice for me? There's a studio by my house that is offering it for beginners on Sundays, which is an off day for me training wise.

Ananda
05-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Absolutely, Ashtanga would be good. Just make sure it is a beginner class so they can show you everything you need as a beginner to practice and to listen to your body so as not to get injured. Even in the beginner class it is a kick a$$ workout since you are just learning to breathe and go through the motions.

EmilytheStrange
05-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Ooh, ok! I'm really looking forward to it now :clap: Thanks for responding! :)

ladypilot
05-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by andromeda@May 9 2006, 04:29 PM
Can you tell my friends that? They hate it when I use that word. I am bringing "rad", "totally" and the french braid back, baby!!!

jrb1980
05-12-2006, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by EmilytheStrange@May 10 2006, 05:22 PM
Let me preface this by saying I know almost nothing about yoga. So, I'm thinking about doing it on Sundays to help me relax, stretch those tight muscles, and improve flexibility. Would Ashtanga yoga be a good choice for me? There's a studio by my house that is offering it for beginners on Sundays, which is an off day for me training wise.
Some Ashatanga yoga classes are pretty difficult (regardless of the level) - as in you will be sore the next day - so if you don't have another off day you may need to work one in.

Ananda
05-12-2006, 01:08 PM
I think that if you are in half decent shape a beginner Ashtanga class would be no problem. It would still be difficult but you should be able to handle it. They also are very big on telling you to listen to your body. If you cannot keep up or keep your breathing under control you should go into childs pose for a rest and then join in when you are ready. Of course you will be sore, esp after using your muscles in a different way. I have never been so sore as I couldn't work out the next day even when I was a beginner. But I have an extensive background in Muay Thai so I had the fitness but it has taken a lot to get out of the competitive mindset.

EmilytheStrange
05-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 11 2006, 06:29 PM
Some Ashatanga yoga classes are pretty difficult (regardless of the level) - as in you will be sore the next day - so if you don't have another off day you may need to work one in.
Hmm...ok, something to keep in mind. It is a beginner's/intro. class so I'll take it and if it's too much for me, then I guess I'll have to do it some other time. I'm working with Thunder right now and my training with him is priority. I guess if the yoga thing doesn't work out, I'll just dedicate some time on Sundays to do some serious stretching and breathing exercises on my own. Thanks for the info though! :)

jrb1980
05-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by EmilytheStrange@May 12 2006, 03:32 PM
Hmm...ok, something to keep in mind. It is a beginner's/intro. class so I'll take it and if it's too much for me, then I guess I'll have to do it some other time. I'm working with Thunder right now and my training with him is priority. I guess if the yoga thing doesn't work out, I'll just dedicate some time on Sundays to do some serious stretching and breathing exercises on my own. Thanks for the info though! :)
I would just ask T. if you can fit it in.

EmilytheStrange
05-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 12 2006, 11:42 AM
I would just ask T. if you can fit it in.
Yeah, I would definitely run it by him first. I honestly didn't know it would be such a workout and I'm glad you told me. So, if the big guy says it's ok, I'll give it a try. Thanks again for the info. ;)