PDA

View Full Version : Pain...HELP

janey
05-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Since O2 is :o2: I really should've posted this here...

Okay...since last week, I've been getting some severe pain when doing squats. I can do my warmups with no problem and I do about 2 sets (6 reps) and I start to feel it and by the third set I have to stop because the pain prevents me from going any further. I looked it up on exrx.net and the pain is in my vastus medialis (internus), just on the right leg. It usually gets better after a couple days and I'm able to do my other light and moderate workouts which include split squats and front squats..it seems to be associated with the heavier weight.

Does anyone know what this could be or what could be causing it? Should I stop doing full squats altogether or can I do them with a lighter weight? Will it get better if I use less weight for awhile? My legs are already pretty weak. I've been stalled at 85lbs for weeks and weeks. Why can't I make progress on these!? :mad:

Any insight or advice would be appreciated. :(

Erik
05-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Hard to diagnose over the internet, so my suggestion is to find a chiropractor that specializes in Active Release Techniques. If it's a soft tissue issue, he'll be able to address it.

You might also consider purchasing a foam roller (they're like $15) and doing some regular self myofascial release.

Most of us should be doing regular soft tissue work anyway.

janey
05-09-2006, 12:56 AM
What is self myofascial release?

Leah
05-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Thunder@May 8 2006, 08:55 PM
Hard to diagnose over the internet, so my suggestion is to find a chiropractor that specializes in Active Release Techniques. If it's a soft tissue issue, he'll be able to address it.

You might also consider purchasing a foam roller (they're like $15) and doing some regular self myofascial release.

Most of us should be doing regular soft tissue work anyway.
I was going to suggest that as well. Except...skip the foam roller and just get a tennis ball, it is more concentrated and definitely works better. Like T said...hard to say what it is but I will tell you that I was getting some intense shooting pains during my squats....would be fine for the first two sets and then it was like someone kicked me in the quad and I just had to stop immediately. I've had ITB and TFL issues since then and I've been working on flexibility and digging the hell out of my ITB. It has helped a lot. Hopefully that'll help for you as well.

(btw...I was gonna reply w/ ...well I just googled.....lmao ...bad leah)

Erik
05-09-2006, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by janey@May 8 2006, 08:56 PM
What is self myofascial release?
It's a form of soft tissue therapy

Hang on, looking for EC's article ...

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=475832

janey
05-09-2006, 01:05 AM
You guys are awesome...thanks so much! I have some reading to do. :)

I hope it gets better. I hate doctors. :dry:

absolut_blonde
05-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by janey@May 8 2006, 07:05 PM
You guys are awesome...thanks so much! I have some reading to do. :)

I hope it gets better. I hate doctors. :dry:
Believe me-- I was scared to go to a chiro for the first time (heard lots of stories, was afraid they'd do something weird like crack my neck, etc-- LOL). But after 2 ART sessions, my shoulder really has improved. The treatment itself hurts like a :censor: but it feels so much better after.