PDA

View Full Version : Ensuring no muscle loss

Elixa
05-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Is there any way you can track to see if the weight you are losing is fat or muscle? I know you're clothes will get looser even though the scale may not budge, but is there any other way to be sure you aren't losing muscle?
Also, I like to run but am trying not to do it excessively like I did before. I figure that's how I lost a lot of muscle mass to begin with. But if I go on longer runs (not HIIT) and make sure to eat adequate protein after, will that help me build leg muscle? And why do cross country runners have such muscular legs? Can they just build leg muscle because they fuel their body enough?

CraveMuscle
05-10-2006, 04:39 PM
maintainingmuscle isn't just about eating adequate protein PWO. your whole diet is important for that.

Blondell
05-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Running does not build much if any muscle. In the other thread you said you want to work up to hiit. Which is it?

Elixa
05-10-2006, 04:41 PM
oh sorry..i didn't mean to make it sound that way. but assuming you are eating enough quality calories and the right macros, does that help in maintaining muscle?

mark
05-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Elixa@May 10 2006, 09:36 AM
And why do cross country runners have such muscular legs? Can they just build leg muscle because they fuel their body enough?
No offense, but are you kidding? Cross country runners don't have muscular legs. They have skinny legs and a relatively low bodyfat, so you can see what little muscle is actually there. If you've never lifted a weight in your life, or done any other activity, you might notice a tightening and "toning" (forgive me) of the leg muscles, but you're not going to gain muscle.

Just as a personal experience, I did some marathon training last year, and basically stopped weight training. My legs shrunk BIG time. I'm struggling now to try to add muscle back.

Elixa
05-10-2006, 11:51 PM
ok all good to know. thanks :oops:

Elixa
05-10-2006, 11:52 PM
ok all good to know. thanks :oops:

gymgurl
05-11-2006, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by mark@May 10 2006, 11:52 AM
No offense, but are you kidding? Cross country runners don't have muscular legs. They have skinny legs and a relatively low bodyfat, so you can see what little muscle is actually there. If you've never lifted a weight in your life, or done any other activity, you might notice a tightening and "toning" (forgive me) of the leg muscles, but you're not going to gain muscle.

Just as a personal experience, I did some marathon training last year, and basically stopped weight training. My legs shrunk BIG time. I'm struggling now to try to add muscle back.
Yah, it looks like you're struggling. ;)

PowerManDL
05-11-2006, 04:44 AM
10 milligrams of methandrostenolone per day is supposed to work wonders on maintaining muscle mass.

Blondell
05-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 11 2006, 12:44 AM
10 milligrams of methandrostenolone per day is supposed to work wonders on maintaining muscle mass.
...or so he's heard. :lol:

Elixa
05-12-2006, 05:21 PM
ok thanks for mocking me...i get the point.

JLS
05-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by mark@May 10 2006, 11:52 AM

Mmmm....Mark's legs! :drool: