PDA

View Full Version : cardio/weights

cm13cm
05-15-2006, 12:18 PM
i get up before my daughter to work out. i always workout on an empty stomach. ive tried to eat something or have a shake before and it makes me sick. my question is... if have both cardio and weights to do that morning, which do i do first? or does it matter. sometimes i feel like doing cardio first, sometimes weights.

Tina
05-15-2006, 12:24 PM
weights first, then cardio. But you really should eat something before.

Erik
05-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Get up earlier, or have something really light. Either way, you need something in you.

If you're training fasted in the morning, you're shooting your efforts in the foot.

cm13cm
05-15-2006, 12:27 PM
what should i eat then? and how long before. im already getting up at 530. i work late. i just want to make sure i get enough sleep too

NooHoo
05-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Is there ever a time where it could be beneficial to do cardio first and weights second?
I vaguely remember reading once that it could be...thoughts?

Erik
05-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by NooHoo@May 15 2006, 09:51 AM
Is there ever a time where it could be beneficial to do cardio first and weights second?
I vaguely remember reading once that it could be...thoughts?
Yes, you read Bipennate say that.

For the physique conscious person? I don't believe there is an advantage. For some kind of athlete prioritizing conditioning, perhaps yes.

Erik
05-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by cm13cm@May 15 2006, 08:27 AM
what should i eat then? and how long before. im already getting up at 530. i work late. i just want to make sure i get enough sleep too
Something light ... Whey protein and Gatorade/maltodextrin perhaps? Start drinking it before your workout and just sip on the rest of it during your workout.

Indhira001
05-15-2006, 03:12 PM
So by reading this I understand that It does not matter if we train in the am or pm as long as I have something to eat before training???? :confused: :confused:

I am going to the gym everyday at 4:00 am- so that means I can go later in the instead of waking up that early.

Erik
05-15-2006, 03:20 PM
So by reading this I understand that It does not matter if we train in the am or pm as long as I have something to eat before training???? confused.gif confused.gif

Correct. Don't train fasted.

I am going to the gym everyday at 4:00 am- so that means I can go later in the instead of waking up that early.

Sure you can.

tam
05-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@May 15 2006, 08:09 AM
Something light ... Whey protein and Gatorade/maltodextrin perhaps? Start drinking it before your workout and just sip on the rest of it during your workout.
I scoop of whey, and how much Gatorade would you have? I've heard this before, asked about it on another board and everybody said that it would not be good for me because of the high sugar content.

Someone also mentioned to me (at a trade show for wellness) that Gatorade may help the lightheadedness (word?) and dizzyness I feel as a result of low blood pressure, so I thought that would help since I sometimes fall over during weights because of this.

Erik
05-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by tam@May 15 2006, 12:08 PM
I scoop of whey, and how much Gatorade would you have? I've heard this before, asked about it on another board and everybody said that it would not be good for me because of the high sugar content.
I actually answered this in an email this morning. Because I'm lazy, I'll just cut and paste.

Because you train first thing in the morning and I'd doubt that eating something of more substance would sit well since you'd have to wait significantly longer to train. Something quickly absorbed like whey and gatorade or maltodextrin will get you out of the overnight catabolic state very fast. Sugar isn't bad. Improperly timed sugar intake is bad. In this case, it's good; as it would be for the PWO period as well. Does that make sense? It basically, in this case, reverses the catabolic condition that an extended fast puts you in

tam
05-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Thunder@May 15 2006, 10:09 AM
I actually answered this in an email this morning. Because I'm lazy, I'll just cut and paste.

Because you train first thing in the morning and I'd doubt that eating something of more substance would sit well since you'd have to wait significantly longer to train. Something quickly absorbed like whey and gatorade or maltodextrin will get you out of the overnight catabolic state very fast. Sugar isn't bad. Improperly timed sugar intake is bad. In this case, it's good; as it would be for the PWO period as well. Does that make sense? It basically, in this case, reverses the catabolic condition that an extended fast puts you in
Excellent! Thank you!

I actually prefer to train in the morning because I'm one of those people that if I don't do it right away, I don't do it. Months ago, after learning from everyone here that I had to eat first, I tried it, and as you mentioned, I couldn't stomach the food. I changed my workouts to the PM and I'm just not consistent. Will make the change because this is doable!

Thanks again :clap:

rogmel
05-15-2006, 04:53 PM
This is a great thread....my hubby and I were discussing this very thing this am after reading an article on Thunder's website :)

I like to use Accelerade and whey, but it seems that Accelerade uses Sucrose...is that an appropriate sugar source for pre/during workout?? I do have Cytomax...would that be better???
Thanks!!

Erik
05-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by rogmel@May 15 2006, 12:53 PM
This is a great thread....my hubby and I were discussing this very thing this am after reading an article on Thunder's website :)

I like to use Accelerade and whey, but it seems that Accelerade uses Sucrose...is that an appropriate sugar source for pre/during workout?? I do have Cytomax...would that be better???
Thanks!!
Sucrose as the sole source of carbs? Probably not ideal, but probably not going to be a huge deal either.

You can pick up some maltodextrin online for dirt cheap.

mcv
05-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by BuenosDias1972@May 15 2006, 10:12 AM
So by reading this I understand that It does not matter if we train in the am or pm as long as I have something to eat before training???? :confused: :confused:

If 4am was the only time I could go to the gym, I don't think I would work out at all. Ever. I admire your resolution.

Blondell
05-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by BuenosDias1972@May 15 2006, 11:12 AM

so that means I can go later in the instead of waking up that early.
why would you not be able to go later?

tamlvscarl
05-15-2006, 06:11 PM
I do cardio first and then weights cuz if I do weights first the only 2 stair masters in the gym will be taken. AND I do the stairs for HIIT because I used to run a lot (too much) and now have heel spurs so I can't run to do HIIT and the bike seems like a waste of time cuz I hardly break a sweat. Will I still get good results doing cardio and then weights?

Erik
05-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by tamlvscarl@May 15 2006, 02:11 PM
I do cardio first and then weights cuz if I do weights first the only 2 stair masters in the gym will be taken. AND I do the stairs for HIIT because I used to run a lot (too much) and now have heel spurs so I can't run to do HIIT and the bike seems like a waste of time cuz I hardly break a sweat. Will I still get good results doing cardio and then weights?
Less than ideal in MY opinion, since your lifting will be compromised to an extent.

tamlvscarl
05-15-2006, 06:26 PM
I'll try to lift first tomorrow and then do my HIIT then. Hopefully, I can steal the stairs b4 anyone else.

Blondell
05-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by tamlvscarl@May 15 2006, 02:26 PM
I'll try to lift first tomorrow and then do my HIIT then. Hopefully, I can steal the stairs b4 anyone else.
hiit directly after?

tamlvscarl
05-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Yeah I really don't have a choice. I go tot eh gym at 5 in the morning and do both.

jrb1980
05-15-2006, 07:00 PM
I have always wondered, if you can only get to the gym once that day and your have HITT and weight training scheduled, is it okay to do them in the same session? I am thinking the answer is less than ideal, but okay if totally necessary but would like to clarify.

Thanks.

Indhira001
05-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by bdd814+May 15 2006, 01:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bdd814 @ May 15 2006, 01:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BuenosDias1972@May 15 2006, 11:12 AM

so that means I can go later in the instead of waking up that early.
why would you not be able to go later? [/b][/quote]
Hi Blondell,

I have two little ones and childcare at gym is only untill 8:00 pm. (the time that I am ble to go) ..and I was always under the impression that I had to excercise on an empty stomach... (specially because I did my cardio first and then, lift weights)

:blink: I am so new to all this, but I am learning.....

Thank You&#33; :hi:

liberty
05-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 15 2006, 02:00 PM
I have always wondered, if you can only get to the gym once that day and your have HITT and weight training scheduled, is it okay to do them in the same session? I am thinking the answer is less than ideal, but okay if totally necessary but would like to clarify.

Thanks.
I would think the HIIT would end up being kinda lame-ass HIIT becasue you would be bagged from weights. I am so knacked I would end up hurting myself it I started sprinting after weights.
C

Indhira001
05-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by mcv+May 15 2006, 01:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mcv @ May 15 2006, 01:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BuenosDias1972@May 15 2006, 10:12 AM

If 4am was the only time I could go to the gym, I don&#39;t think I would work out at all. Ever. I admire your resolution. [/b][/quote]
Believe me...

There are times that I feel to give up... but reading all of you keeps me motivated... Specially after this last Saturday that I went to see for the f first fitness show and I really enjoyed it&#33;&#33;&#33;

:innocent:

Erik
05-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by liberty+May 15 2006, 03:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (liberty @ May 15 2006, 03:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jrb1980@May 15 2006, 02:00 PM

Thanks.
I would think the HIIT would end up being kinda lame-ass HIIT becasue you would be bagged from weights. I am so knacked I would end up hurting myself it I started sprinting after weights.
C [/b][/quote]
Ideally it would be separate from training, but some people simply don&#39;t have that luxury. In such cases, it&#39;s probably best to choose something less complex like a stationary bike than to try to run on a treadmill.

clsupnorth
05-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by liberty@May 15 2006, 02:20 PM
I would think the HIIT would end up being kinda lame-ass HIIT becasue you would be bagged from weights.
I think that if you attempted to do lower body weights and then HIIT, then absolutley it would be very lame-ass. But I&#39;ve managed to do upper body weights followed by HIIT with no problems, no decrease in performance.

Swiss
05-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by clsupnorth@May 15 2006, 08:56 PM
I think that if you attempted to do lower body weights and then HIIT, then absolutley it would be very lame-ass. But I&#39;ve managed to do upper body weights followed by HIIT with no problems, no decrease in performance.
Same here. Upper body and HIIT no problem. But forget about it with legs. I usually do NO cardio after legs, unless I just want to walk on the treadmill for about 10 minutes.

jrb1980
05-17-2006, 04:16 AM
But if you do cardio after weights how do you work in your PWO meal? Surely you are not going to eat it and then jump on the treadmill, but a half an hour is to long to wait, no?

Erik
05-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 17 2006, 12:16 AM
But if you do cardio after weights how do you work in your PWO meal? Surely you are not going to eat it and then jump on the treadmill, but a half an hour is to long to wait, no?
After the cardio. You&#39;re still working out.